Random TV Thread II: Television, Continued

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Party Down concluded. Sadness now setting in.

It looks like a movie is a pretty solid bet from everything I've heard, so try to taste the happy instead. Really glad you enjoyed it, anyhow.

I could have got the first three seasons of The Wire for $40 the other day... but bought more albums instead. If the deal's still on this week I might pounce on it.

Images of NYC and the Inscription of Louis C.K. | The House Next Door

Great piece, and also a solid argument for why the show might be (in my experience) the single finest airing series on tv right now.

Just started Season 2 after plowing through the first and oh man, I may be inclined to agree.

I got ahold of Season 1 last night.

Have watched 5 episodes already.

Very good so far, intrigued about how it's going to keep developing.

"Pamela" was fantastic, as was the much hyped encounter with Dane Cook. They're both great (and different) examples of the show operating as much more than a comedy. Then you have last week's "Come On, God" which flat out made me laugh harder than anything in recent memory.

The show is a work of art, and the dude is an absolute genius.

Perhaps I'm stating the obvious here, but after a couple episodes I started to notice a Woody Allen-type absurdity in some of the scenes, not just the childhood flashbacks but the present-day stuff as well. What's unique is that it effortlessly slips back into what is a pretty realistically-shot show in terms of aesthetic.

And then there's the recurring use of that old-time Woody music, which says to me that my observation is probably not off-base in terms of Louis' intent.

We really should give this show its own thread.

Perhaps I'm stating the obvious here, but after a couple episodes I started to notice a Woody Allen-type absurdity in some of the scenes, not just the childhood flashbacks but the present-day stuff as well. What's unique is that it effortlessly slips back into what is a pretty realistically-shot show in terms of aesthetic.

And then there's the recurring use of that old-time Woody music, which says to me that my observation is probably not off-base in terms of Louis' intent.

We really should give this show its own thread.

I've been thinking a lot about Allen as well watching the show, mainly for the music, bouts of surrealism, the obvious connective tissue of the narratives spinning outward from a stand-up comedian's sense of rhythm and observation. And of course the central protagonist's murky relationship with New York City. It's really the kind of television series I'd expect Allen to make if he were a bit less neurotic and a bit more blue-collar. But what I love most about it is exactly what that article I posted highlighted, mainly the structure of the series as a spiraling, elliptical almost non-narrative series of vignettes that nonetheless coheres skit by skit into such an expansive world-view. It also might be my single favorite work of television aesthetically, as a side bar.

I've started watching Firefly. it's not bad. I was left a little cold by the first two episodes, but liked the third. Will keep watching. I've seen enough Whedon shows to know that you have to get a few episodes in before things really get good.

What a god-awful theme song, though.

I've started watching Firefly. it's not bad. I was left a little cold by the first two episodes, but liked the third. Will keep watching. I've seen enough Whedon shows to know that you have to get a few episodes in before things really get good.

What a god-awful theme song, though.

I hope at this point it hasn't been over-hyped.
I could go on and on singing its praises, but I've learned that nothing is going to bring it back. Hope you enjoy it.

(Now a Buckaroo Banzai sequel, well, that still seems possible.)

Yeah, as a fan of Buffy and Angel and therefore hanging around online with other fans of anything Whedon-related, it's been hyped to death. I don't have high expectations for me loving it, but I went to a Whedon-inspired burlesque show (no, really! It was fun), and they had several Firefly acts. That's when I finally said "Okay, I need to finally watch this."

Also, I did watch the movie a few years ago and was pleasantly surprised.

I hope at this point it hasn't been over-hyped.
I could go on and on singing its praises, but I've learned that nothing is going to bring it back. Hope you enjoy it.

(Now a Buckaroo Banzai sequel, well, that still seems possible.)

I watched the series, a little uneven, a bit over-hyped for me. The film is way better.

Also, the Sarah Conners, Terminator series is a way better series than Firefly. I did like Firefly, just not as good as promised.

Watched the pilot of Home Movies on Netflix today just to see how bad the animation used to be. It looks like a 5 year old drew a bunch of epileptics on a hot, hazy day and Adult Swim jumped right on board. I'm so glad they did; it's an amazing show, and the writers went right for the throat with the McGuirk/Brendan's mom date being the pilot.

Watched the pilot of Home Movies on Netflix today just to see how bad the animation used to be. It looks like a 5 year old drew a bunch of epileptics on a hot, hazy day and Adult Swim jumped right on board. I'm so glad they did; it's an amazing show, and the writers went right for the throat with the McGuirk/Brendan's mom date being the pilot.

I love Home Movies. Squigglevision was the thing. I'm not entirely sure why, but it works.
I can't remember the episode's name, but the one where McGuirk gets lost in the woods with a cult and the kids go to acting/performing summer camp is awesome.

Check out Science Court for an even earlier iteration of Squigglevision.

Has there just been the one season of Archer so far? If so, when does it come back on?

A second season aired somewhat recently. Not sure when exactly as I'm waiting to pick it up on DVD to watch.

In other news, I'm halfway through Breaking Bad and it's faaaaaaar exceeding my expectations. Already I'd say it's giving Mad Men a run for its money as my favorite currently airing drama.

A second season aired somewhat recently. Not sure when exactly as I'm waiting to pick it up on DVD to watch.

Cool, thanks. I'll add it to my Netflix queue so it'll get in there when it's released. (Edit: not on the site yet)

I watched these documentaries several years ago

The Clicker - HBO to re-air West Memphis 3 documentaries

NVG-9744-F.jpg

they are worth watching,
these 3 have been in the news, recently.

Got HBO free for three months. I'm overwhelmed with stuff to watch, but first order of business will be catching up on Curb.

Your loss. Every time I come back to it after taking some time off, it amazes me how easy it is to forget how funny it is when you don't have HBO. Nothing makes me laugh as hard as Curb. But as far as current comedies go, the best, the funniest, and my favorite are probably three different shows. Weird how that works out.

Two discs into Firefly, and I've finally hit a stretch of episodes I'm enjoying. Slow starter.

Will have to watch the movie again after I'm done with the series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom