Random TV Talk III - Do the Russell Coight

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's hilarious and you'll want to burn through it really quick as it kind of plays out like a Judd Apatow movie...

So, I'm watching Luther. Anyone else watched it? I have some things to say.

Also, is it still on? I see they're doing a 2-episode thing this year, but is that a one-off or?

CBS is rebooting MacGyver. Are there any original ideas left?

Has anyone consulted Patty and Selma about this?

It's so funny to check out new network dramas. After watching so many cable/Netflix dramas, so many network shows just feel so ... so .... lame.

Blindspot had a good premise, but even after one episode, it felt kind of rote.

Quantico, however, was a really fun pilot and I hope it keeps up.

Last year's #1 show on critics' top 10 lists, Fargo, returns very soon. Season 2 is already the highest rated television release of 2015 with a 95/100 on Metacritic. :up:

Guess we now know who really is the true detective.

So, anyone else catch Fargo this week? Great season premiere and continues to keep a Coens vibe, this time filtered through the 70s.

Lots of characters and story threads, but so much better than True Detective season 2 already. It could nosedive of course, but I see no reason to worry. Interesting to see multiple writers with upcoming credits this season too, looks like Noah Hawley knows how TV actually works.

I watched one episode of True Detective's second season and was so put off by its ponderousness that I never watched another. Didn't pull anything out of that first hour that I enjoyed. It starts from the characters and works its way down from there and, at its core, I didn't care to follow any of those characters. It's an uninformed take, but there are lots of other shows to watch that I found more immediately gripping.

Fargo has once again provided the great characters, strong cast and claustrophobic setting that made the first season so special. I miss Thornton, but there are plenty of other good actors to watch for instead and the storylines are already bringing me in. Can't wait to watch the rest.

Last edited:
it's on my DVR, along with everything else I normally watch during the week. This weekend is pretty much going to be a veg-and-watch-TV weekend.

Looking forward to the season premiere of Jane the Virgin, and the pilot for Crazy Ex-Girlfriend as well.

After two weeks back in Stars Hollow, Rory feels the Bern and leaves to cover a new presidential campaign.

I'm really fucking psyched about this

Last edited:
Recently finished season 5 of The Shield on my series rewatch. I don't think I can name a better season of dramatic TV than this. (Disclaimer: haven't yet seen Justified.) Even the final season, which has the finest ending I've ever seen, doesn't match the start to finish intensity of season 5.

The best point of comparison is of course Breaking Bad's Ozymandias. Take that, stretch it over 11 episodes of increasing escalation and desperation, and you have The Shield's fifth season.

It's a shame that there's a dip through the end of season 6 through early season 7, but the final 8 episodes of are absolutely gripping.

Granted it finished 7 years ago, but I never see it mentioned much these days. Any fans around?

I fucking adored the pilot of Crazy Ex-Girlfriend.

Also, welcome back Jane the Virgin. You are fucking delightful (without the fucking HAR HAR HAR).

Top 2015 Shows By Metacritic Score

New Comedies:

1. Master of None (Netflix) - 93
2. Catastrophe (Amazon) - 83
3. Togetherness (HBO) - 79
4. Crazy Ex-Girlfriend (CW) - 78
5. Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt (Netflix) - 78
6. Casual (Hulu) - 77
7. Documentary Now! (IFC) - 77
8. Difficult People (Hulu) - 76
9. Fresh Off The Boat (ABC) - 75
10. Younger (TV Land) - 75
11. Ash vs. Evil Dead (Starz) - 75

Returning Comedies With Enough Reviews:

1. Louie - Season 5 (FX) - 91
2. Bojack Horseman - Season 2 (Netflix) - 90
3. Veep - Season 4 (HBO) - 90
4. Broad City - Season 2 (Comedy Central) - 89
5. Silicon Valley - Season 2 (HBO) - 86
6. You're The Worst - Season 2 (FXX) - 82
7. Community - Season 6 (Yahoo Screen) - 78
8. Girls - Season 5 (HBO) - 75

New Dramas:

1. Wolf Hall (PBS) - 86 * Miniseries *
2. Show Me A Hero (HBO) - 85 * Miniseries *
3. American Crime (ABC) - 84 * Resets With A New Story Each Season *
4. Mr. Robot (USA) - 79
5. Deutschland 83 (Sundance) - 79
6. Better Call Saul (AMC) - 78
7. UnReal (Lifetime) - 78
8. The Last Kingdom (BBC America) - 78
9. The Book of Negroes (BET) - 77 *Miniseries *
10. Narcos (Netflix) - 77
11. Indian Summers (PBS) - 76
12. Fortitude (pivot) - 75
13. Marvel's Daredevil (Netflix) - 75
14. Supergirl (CBS) - 75
15. Bloodline (Netflix) - 75

Returning Dramas:

1. Fargo - Season 2 (FX) - 96 * Resets With A New Story Each Season *
2. The Americans - Season 3 (FX) - 93
3. Game of Thrones - Season 5 (HBO) - 91
4. Rectify - Season 3 (Sundance) - 89
5. Justified - Season 6 (FX) - 89 * Ended *
6. Hannibal - Season 3 (NBC) - 84 * Ended *
7. Orange Is The New Black - Season 3 (Netflix) - 83
8. Mad Men - Season 7.5 (AMC) - 83 * Ended *
9. The Returned - Season 2 (Sundance) - 82
10. Vikings - Season 3 (The History Channel) - 81
11. The Leftovers - Season 2 (HBO) - 80
12. Manhattan - Season 2 (WGN) - 80
13. The Walking Dead - Season 6 (AMC) - 79
14. The Affair - Season 2 (Showtime) - 78
15. Penny Dreadful - Season 2 (Showtime) - 77
16. Empire - Season 2 (FOX) - 77
17. Homeland - Season 5 (Showtime) - 76
18. House of Cards - Season 3 (Netflix) - 76

Other Notables:

Kurt Cobain: Montage of Heck (HBO) - 88 (Documentary)
Going Clear: Scientology and the Prison of Belief - 86 (Documentary)
Project Greenlight: Season 4 (HBO) - 80 (Reality)
Cancer: The Emperor of All Maladies (PBS) - 78 (Documentary Miniseries)
Amy Schumer: Live at the Apollo (HBO) - 77 (Standup Special)
The Jinx: The Life and Deaths of Robert Durst (HBO) - 76 (Documentary Miniseries)
Bessie (HBO) - 75 (TV Movie)

http://www.metacritic.com/browse/tv/score/metascore/year/filtered?sort=desc&year_selected=2015

Last edited:
Crazy Ex Girlfriend continues to be amazing. The songs, oh my god.

Also, You're the Worst almost made me cry the other week. And the most recent episode with the extreme haunted house episode was perfection.

The extreme haunted house on You're The Worst was hardly plausible given that it had such intricate traps and a large ensemble of workers despite hardly any guests being inside of it...tickets would be like $500.

Then there's the lawsuits. :lol:

Fargo's running neck-and-neck with the first one. They're familiar in terms of some common themes yet totally different when it comes to everything else. I felt season one was a lot closer to the spirit of the movie, but this one might be a little better as it has a broader focus whereas the other one kind of revolved around three main characters.

Nathan For You is still on the mark...except the episode with the concentration camp display...that whole half hour and all of the ideas were just cringe inducing awkwardness without any laughs.

The extreme haunted house on You're The Worst was hardly plausible given that it had such intricate traps and a large ensemble of workers despite hardly any guests being inside of it...tickets would be like $500.

Then there's the lawsuits. :lol:

I thought the same, but a Google search brought up this nightmare:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...house-is-the-stuff-of-nightmares-9816650.html

The truly implausible part of the episode was that they all finished it haha.

And wow, last week's episode was another winner. Probably my favourite show currently airing.

I feel that Nathan is forcing events a bit too much this year, like when he gets a drunk guy to put on a sumo suit and try to get the pizza at the back of the antique store. It's like he has an end point in mind rather than letting it evolve naturally. Having said that, the look on his face as he smashed the plate at the end was priceless, as was his reaction to the ghostwriter's sample sentence the week before.

I ADORED it. Inhaled all ten episodes this past Saturday. I liked Ansari on Parks & Rec, but don't care for his standup. Between this and the good things I've heard about his book, I'm now a fan.

Crazy Ex-Girlfriend will be sorely missed when its inevitably canceled. It was Wonderfalls, Glee and Gilmore Girls all mixed up in a blender.

Best New Television:

Marvel's Jessica Jones - 80/100 on Metacritic (Entire season premieres Friday on Netflix)

The Man In The High Castle - 79/100 on Metacritic (Premieres Thursday on Amazon Prime)

W/Bob and David - 77/100 on Metacritic (Season 1 now on Netflix)

I can't believe there hasn't been a Leftovers thread. Sure, I could have started one but I'm a thread killer, not starter.

Is anyone watching Flesh and Bone on Starz? Dark soapy show about ballet (and strippers, and hey why not some incest too). It's not great by any stretch, and it's slow, but I'm enjoying it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom