Random TV Talk III - Do the Russell Coight

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So I just watched Season 1 of the 4400. Looks like I have 3 seasons to go. Has anyone else watched this show? Just wondering if I'll be completely wasting my time going through the rest of the series.

I never watched it myself, but she hounded me to get her the DVDs and spin off books for several Christmases in a row.

Watched the Series Finale of Two and a Half Men a little while ago. I pretty much stopped watching the show when Sheen left. The episode was actually kind of funny. The ending was interesting for sure.

I don't get the joke. Are indigenous Australians known for having poor personalities? Is there some other inherent flaw in Indigenous Australians that the notably great personality balances out? Why would an Asian character make that remark?

I actually watched the premier of the new "Odd Couple"...not great, but did get a laugh out of Felix' notes to Oscar on his sports ticker like "Remember to take your vitamins F.U."

Oh it's finally over? Thank God.

There actually were some funny parts of the show. I was just on Facebook and naturally every other shithead is saying its the worst finale in the history of forever or some other horseshit. Arnold makes a guest appearance and he was amusing.

Did anyone watch Last Man On Earth?

I was really digging it, and then Kristen Schaal showed up, and my heart sank.

I'm out.

I've been home sick the past few days, and marathoned season 2 of Hannibal.

HOLY FUCKING SHIT. I mean, HOLY FUCKING SHIT. That finale blew me away.

(I also watched The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, and that was cute and fun.)

I hate Will Forte, but the show looks funny, at least.

Hannibal is good, huh?

I've been marathoning House of Cards, but I'm taking a break now that I'm up to Season 3. I don't remember if we have a thread for that show, and I don't really want to chat about it til I finish season 3 anyways, lol. I hate this system of releasing an entire season in one go, honestly.

Meanwhile, picked season 2 of the Wire back up. It gets better, so that's nice.

/TV

Finally saw season 3 of Sherlock. 2 plausible explanation how he survived, a weak episode two and a very good final episode.

Magnussen was a good villain, though having Mary being a gun for hire was...far fetched. She was perfectly plausible as a normal and sane person in Watson and Sherlock's lives. Also, just because Watson destroyed the USB - and may or may not have looked at it - doesn't mean someone else beside Magnussen figured her out and won't come after her. And I liked the 6 month mission for Sherlock ending...instead one of the smartest TV shows opted for the tired and boring cliche of having the main villain come back. I like this modern Moriarty a lot but explaining the survival of a head shot will be a big task unless they cheapen it all by having someone else plotting in the background and just using Moriarty footage to scheme Sherlock back into the game.

Hannibal is good, huh?

I had initially given up after watching about half of the first season. It was good, and cinematic, but just so damned relentlessly BLEAK. But people kept talking about it, so I went back to it.

Season 2 held my interest far more than season 1 did. Although there's so much going on, you can't just jump in with season 2.

It just dawned on me how incredible TV is about to get. Louie, Mad Men and GoT all return over the course of a week. Fuck. Can't wait.

And Outlander is coming back soon, too!

.... or am I the only one around here who cares about that one?

That is a surprisingly fantastic writeup. I feel it in my bones but never have the faintest clue how to really articulate what makes Mad Men special. It's not being a period drama per se (although it is on one level a very, very faithful one). Much less is it a let's-look-back-at-how-more-progressive-we've-gotten circle jerk. I though the bringing up of Lynch and Hitchcock pointed toward something distinctive about it in contemporary tv/movies, for starters. It's hyper-realism, infused with a kind of poetry.

To single out a couple bits:

There’s a central, important contradiction to the show, which is our ad-exec main character feels enormously, existentially detached from the materiality of everyday life—the very things, concepts, and ideas he is meant to be hawking (except, perhaps, for Hershey bars). This perhaps accounts for the odd emotional effect of Mad Men, the foregrounded artificiality of a show that is hardly “just” a period piece. It’s here that the show becomes Lynchian.

When we think back over all the years that Don Draper has been a part of our cultural consciousness, it’s usually his low points that stick in our minds: in season one’s “The Marriage of Figaro,” his beer-fueled disappearance during young daughter Sally’s birthday party, leading to the unforgettable image of Betty serving a neighbor’s half-defrosted Sara Lee cake in place of the one Don never picked up; his misguided extended affair with his daughter’s teacher, Miss Farrell, throughout season three, which culminated in his divorce from Betty, and then, in season four, his romantic rejection of Dr. Faye, his emotional, professional, and intellectual equal, in favor of a doomed marriage to his secretary, Megan; throwing money in Peggy’s face after she makes a mild complaint in season five’s “The Other Woman,” leading to her quitting; being caught with his pants down by Sally at a neighbor’s apartment in season six’s “Favors.” Because of all this he has been labeled an antihero, but all of his blunders and bad deeds have only served to make his gradual spiritual reclamation all the more satisfying. Tony’s evils were far too great for the last season of The Sopranos to be anything more than a slow march toward death; however, we hold out hope for Don, the man whose greatest gift was self-reinvention. The end of season six, when Don finally reveals the truth about his past to his children, was the most rewarding moment of the series, pointing—or will it turn out to be teasing?—toward ultimate redemption.

Also the show is often laugh-out-loud funny. Just excels on every front.

I find it astounding that people want to put Breaking Bad alongside it as an example of the peaks that television has achieved. The gulf between them is enormous, even if BB has had great directors on certain episodes. Mad Men has an aesthetic that has been so carefully cultivated that it really puts everything else to shame.

Breaking Bad's a really good show, but aside from the obligatory white-male-anti-hero schtick that gets pinned on shows that otherwise have precious little in common, I'd not put it in anything like the same room as Mad Men.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom