Random TV Talk III - Do the Russell Coight

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The first two eps of The Spoils of Babylon are all over the place. Will Ferrell bookending each one as an Orson Welles-selling-wine-esque author is the immediate high point, with Kristen Wiig's histrionics coming in a close second.

If you liked the hyper-specific parody/homage of Casa De mi Padre and have a soft spot for lavish early '80s TV miniseries, then this may be for you.

Helix tonight. Expectations are mild.

Expectations are now low for The Spoils of Babylon, due to feedback from some friends, but, still going to check it out when time allows.

True Detective.

The first two eps of The Spoils of Babylon are all over the place. Will Ferrell bookending each one as an Orson Welles-selling-wine-esque author is the immediate high point, with Kristen Wiig's histrionics coming in a close second.

I only saw the first episode but I have to say you have touched upon the two highlights (maybe the only two) in that episode as far as I'm concerned. Kristen Wiig and Will. They probably made more of the material than the material was worth.

Don't you think Tobey Maguire was a bit of a bizarre casting choice?

I'll give it another chance or two. It wasn't bad, just...underwhelming.

Tapping into Maguire's baby-faced earnestness conceptually makes sense. In practice though, he falls flat. Matt Zoller Seitz brought up Paul Rudd as an alternate choice and it's hard to disagree with that.

Oh and Val Kilmer crushes his small part in the second episode.

To be fair, Paul Rudd is an actual comic actor, so, wouldn't he crush most anyone with Maguire's background? This is me saying this without seeing an episode yet so I'm not sure what Maguire's character is all about.

To be fair, Paul Rudd is an actual comic actor, so, wouldn't he crush most anyone with Maguire's background? This is me saying this without seeing an episode yet so I'm not sure what Maguire's character is all about.

Maguire's all sorts of goofy in the Spider-Man flicks. He also hits good darkly comic notes in Wonder Boys. Maybe I'm not giving him a fair shake in that comparison, though there's something with his performance that doesn't jive for me.

No reviews needed, True Detective is an entire season directed by Cary Fukunaga, the setting and the cast is just icing after that.

Required viewing.

The man even makes ad campaigns into artful storytelling (Sleepwalking in the Rift)

lets hope the 8 episodes are more like his two features and not that commercial, that seemed more like, To the Wonder or Tree of Life, too obtuse.

Well considering my love of Tree of Life (which I would not describe as obtuse) and To The Wonder (which I'll grant you to an extent) we're clearly at odds there (and had this debate long ago), though to be fair his is an evocative two minute short, so I think you could cut him some slack compared with a feature.

TD's photography looks like the meeting between that short and Sin Nombre though.

Speaking of his feature work, has there been any news on Beasts of No Nation lately? Last year he said he got Idris Elba to take the lead and then nothing, hopefully that was enough to get it off the ground.

From the screenplay on up it was great. I love how much of it is left unsaid and the cast does an impeccable job of bringing all you need to know across anyway without the writer talking too much to the audience through exposition. Everyone who writes for CBS should be required to watch stuff like this.

I didn't even realize Michelle Monaghan and Clarke "Big Chief" Peters were in this.

700 more posts until a new thread, guys! Let's do this!

Also, True Detective.

Who do you guys think would win in a detective competition, Sherlock Holmes, Batman, or McConaughey?

It's all even until they have to take their shirts off. Then we all know who wins.

It's all even until they have to take their shirts off. Then we all know who wins.

Creepy-Batman-shower.gif

So I was kind of blown away by the True Detective pilot.

True. Detective.

"We'll just have to run that mile in under 2 minutes Robin"

"Holy world records Batman"

"Breaking world records is just another part of the every day life of a crime fighter old chum"

I don't have a fucking clue why this is the hottest shit on the world wide internet right now, but as I said in the dedicated thread, yeah, True Detective seems a'ight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom