Random questions - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-20-2002, 06:20 PM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 03:25 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by elizabeth:

1. I was at a school today in Erie, PA and I saw 4 posters urging kids to read. Now, I may not be hip with the kids as much as I used to, but I wonder about the role models on these posters. 1. Glenn Close??? do kids even know who the hell she is? Antonio Banderas? Maybe they know him from Spy Kids.
Mel Gibson? and Whoopi Goldberg?? I dunno. Not very inspirational. Why don't they stick with the classics?? Scooby, Shaggy...and Optimus Prime???

Arright elizabeth, you caught on to the subliminal message of those damn reading posters. The REAL message is "If you read, you will grow up to be like Whoopi Goldberg, and you don't want that now do you?" In our library we have such other classic people as: The Native American guy from Northern Exposure, Stephen Hawking, and Michael J Fox. Yea, most kids don't know who these people are, but hey, they want us to READ! So read dammit!

------------------
Every question possesses a power that does not lie in the answer.

Old 03-20-2002, 07:38 PM   #17
BAW
The Flower

Local Time: 01:25 PM
No, I don't think that anyone can complete another person. You can complement one another but not complete each other. Your life may feel complete when you meet "the one" but that is different that someone "completing you."

Yes, it is possible to be happy and fulfilled on your own. You have to be able to be alone with yourself and enjoy your own company before you can expect someone else to, right?

I see so many of my nieces and friend's daughters in their teen and 20's who MUST have a man in their lives at all times, not even ending one relationship before they start the next. These girls are terrified to be alone. My own stepdaughter went through this after a breakup. Within days she was spending the night with someone she met in a bar and when I asked her why, she cried and said "I don't want to be alone." It was only 3 days after her fiance moved out. It's very sad.

If someone isn't okay with his/herself or their place in life, there is no way someone else can fill that void. You cannot make someone else responsible for your happiness. Having a warm body next to you is nice but in the morning, you still have to look at yourself in the mirror and the self doubt will still be there. A self-confident, happy person will make a much better partner than a self-doubting, miserable person. If you really want to learn something about yourself, being on your own is highly recommended.

As for divorce, I can speak from experience having been divorced myself and seeing my parent's divorce.

When I married for the first time at 18, I expected it to be forever. I trusted my husband more than I had ever trusted anyone in my life and when he betrayed me, it brought out a side of me that I had never imagined existed. I never expected to be cheated on or hit by someone who said he loved me. When someone hurts you that much, the natural response is to want to hurt them just as much as they hurt you.

In my case, I loved him so much when we were together that I had to replace that love with hate so I could forget him and get on with my life. I think if you were passionately in love, you will end up passionately in hate if you divorce.

Betrayal also caused me to do and say things in front of our kids that I regret to this day but I can't take them back.

Its been 13 years and I honestly have no feelings one way or the other for this man. I haven't spoken to him or seen him in all that time and he hasn't seen his kids since the day I moved out but I got a letter from him, out of the blue, a few months ago that just blew my mind.

He went on for 3 pages about how much he hates me and blames me for everything bad in his life. After 13 years, we've both remarried and he still hasn't let it go.

I guess if you've never been through a divorce, it's hard to explain.

Old 03-20-2002, 09:26 PM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 03:25 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Bono's American Wife:

Betrayal also caused me to do and say things in front of our kids that I regret to this day but I can't take them back.

((((((huuuuuuuugs))))))
Most of the time kids understand. My mom has said things that I know she'd rather not have said, but I love her just the same. It's true about the if you've never been through it you don't understand it part. I'll never understand what my parents think/thought, and they'll never understand what I think/thought.

------------------
Every question possesses a power that does not lie in the answer.
Old 03-20-2002, 09:42 PM   #19
New Yorker

Local Time: 04:25 PM
LMAO!!!
that was awesome!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Lilly:
Arright elizabeth, you caught on to the subliminal message of those damn reading posters. The REAL message is "If you read, you will grow up to be like Whoopi Goldberg, and you don't want that now do you?" In our library we have such other classic people as: The Native American guy from Northern Exposure, Stephen Hawking, and Michael J Fox. Yea, most kids don't know who these people are, but hey, they want us to READ! So read dammit!

------------------
***ALOTWU***