Random Music Thread XXXIV: Shouter cares more than you do

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've never tried absinthe, which is probably for the best.

It's pretty interesting, I like it pretty well. I need to go ahead and pick up this gift set they have at a nearby liquor store. Has glasses, the spoon and a pretty sizable bottle of the stuff as well. I'm just a little disturbed that it says it's made with Wormwood. I thought that was the kind that was still illegal in the States...

iron yuppie said:
I believe that it was legalized recently, within the last three years or so.

Absinthe in general was, but like I said, I thought it was only if it didn't contain wormwood, but I suppose not.

You don't like Out Of Bounds??

What's wrong with you?

Also, you can't take Boots out of the setlist if you're trying to preserve their "intent" or whatever.
I like it fine, I don't think it fits in a greatest hits setlist, which is what they were trying to do. Pretty much every other song, older than NLOTH was a definitive greatest hit. I think the only non-singles were Bad and UTEOTW.

Boots you could probably argue for leaving in.

Hey Cobbler, Gold Cobra (very likely what Durst calls his penis) leaked. Maybe an albums of disinterest thread is in order.

I'm hot and tired but now that Ihave an iphone youguys can'tget rid of me when I'm on vacation.

No, not a Tom Waits fan at all except fot the One From The Heart soundtrack. I do LIKE that.

I also like Your Blue Room ( or is it Your Blue Cock? I can never remember) quite a bit.

I'll learn to type on tnis thing yet. I was listening to Passengers on the way across the Mojave today.

I sympathize...I just got a smart phone this week, and it takes me several minutes to compose a single text message.

Here's the great thing about collecting music from older bands: it can be exceedingly cheap. I picked up three Pulp albums today (His 'n' Hers, Different Class, and This Is Hardcore) for under fifteen dollars.

Edit: I also listened to New Order's Substance for the third or fourth time in the last few weeks, and they are finally starting to click with me.

Achtung Birdie has finally clicked for me. No it's still not my favourite, but it broke into the top five.

I like it fine, I don't think it fits in a greatest hits setlist, which is what they were trying to do. Pretty much every other song, older than NLOTH was a definitive greatest hit. I think the only non-singles were Bad and UTEOTW.

Boots you could probably argue for leaving in.

Well you left Moment of Service in there and that wasn't even a single.

How is Out of Bounds not worthy of greatest hits status? It was their firt single, no?

Well you left Moment of Service in there and that wasn't even a single.

How is Out of Bounds not worthy of greatest hits status? It was their firt single, no?
It's not a greatest hit? I mean, it's not on any compilations, it dropped out of setlists for the most part in the mid-80s aside from its partial revival during Elevation, and clearly isn't as well known as most of the songs? I mean, if we're talking the most well known U2 songs, which is what the set basically was aside from Boots and MOS, OOC seems like quite the odd choice, first single or not.

And MOS and Boots are sort of outliers in that time hasn't passed enough to determine what from NLOTH would be part of a greatest hits setlist.

I have woken up feeling a million dollars considering last night.

re: absinthe. I know that you are indeed meant to have it watered down/on a spoon/with sugar etc. But we were a bunch of 20/21 year olds celebrating a mate's 21st so there was absolutely no intention of having it "properly". I had the shot, and it felt like I had third-degree burns in my throat. Definitely regret it. I think if you have shots you're kind of meant to enjoy them.

And you're right Ashley - a mate of mine had five shots of absinthe, forgetting the alc%, in a matter of minutes, thinking, well, I still feel fine. About 10 minutes later he had a pile of spew in front of him that actually contained solid food.

re: OOC. Definitely worthy of its spot in that setlist, and any greatest hits setlist. Ass Dan is right in that it hasn't been on compilations and hasn't been a setlist regular for a long time, but one listen to the song assures you of its classic status.

Fuck's sake you're amateur.

This should be on LM's list of "least surprising things said in random"

Dime a dozen in Australia. Cobbler probably has a pile converted to mung rags under his bed

I certainly wouldn't feel bad Lonely Islanding on an ACDC shirt. I'll explain.

I really, really hate AC/DC. I never used to. My Dad played Back in Black a lot, and that is a great album. But my younger brother got into AC/DC and played nothing but their music for about a year. I'm not kidding. Even when I was at the height of my U2 obsession I wasn't playing their music that much, and I interspersed it with other artists. My brother played Rock n Roll Train, from their last album, at least 10 times a day. Whenever he was on the computer, doing chores or just chilling all I would hear was AC/DC. They were okay in small doses, but a lot of their music sounds very similar. Due to that ridiculous over saturation, I can barely stand listening to their music at all.

You're evolving quickly, Cobbler. Maybe you can pick up with that.

I am waiting for the day my dance moves during the "shake it like a polaroid picture" part of Hey Ya! or my rendition of Big Boi's verse from Roses either turns a lady on or makes her want to have pity sex.

That's far more positive than the, "Every day is silent and grey", that I was just listening to.

That is positive in yup's world.

It's not a greatest hit? I mean, it's not on any compilations, it dropped out of setlists for the most part in the mid-80s aside from its partial revival during Elevation, and clearly isn't as well known as most of the songs? I mean, if we're talking the most well known U2 songs, which is what the set basically was aside from Boots and MOS, OOC seems like quite the odd choice, first single or not.

And MOS and Boots are sort of outliers in that time hasn't passed enough to determine what from NLOTH would be part of a greatest hits setlist.

I don't think Play (Faraway, So Close!) is much more recognizable, but whatever.

It's one of their best old songs so I don't think it's out of place. Why would you want it even more mainstream, anyway?

Also, I'm having some issues with Even Better Than The Real Cock as an opener. For the current tour itself, fine. But making your first appearance at Glastonbury? It's not aggressive enough. They should have opened with The Bird and just melted people's faces off right from the get-go.

Still a great song. The whole album is just amazing and I've got to download the tracks released since.

I want to punch those hosts in the face.

Still a great song. The whole album is just amazing and I've got to download the tracks released since.

Anyone's Ghost really takes off in the live setting. The muscle and menace are dialed up a few notches, much like with Squalor Victoria.

Anyone's Ghost really takes off in the live setting. The muscle and menace are dialed up a few notches, much like with Squalor Victoria.

Yeah agreed. As I've said before there's almost no point listening to the version of Squalor Victoria on Boxer if you've heard the live version.

Yeah, this. I really like the bit about walking around at night with your headphones on in any context though...really vivid image.

Vanderlyle is my least favorite. Doesn't really jump out at me, no matter how many times I hear it.

Love that song, ridiculously stupid title aside.

That acapella, acoustic performance they do of it has to be the bravest way to finish a gig I've ever seen.

Back
Top Bottom