Random Music Thread XXXIV: Shouter cares more than you do

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So, good soul, where did you get that video from?
I downloaded the 1.2 GB one that is now on the torrent sites, but that seems to be a lower quality BBC rip (i.e. with the switch from BBC2 to BBC4 and all the talking).

The BBC HD feed, BTW, still has the same BBC2>BBC4>BBC2 transitions. Definitely the HD feed though, quality is excellent and it has the BBC HD logo.

joyfulgirl said:
Tom Waits. :heart:

Yeah, and it was Closing Time, so Martha was on there. :up: Good God, that song isn't fair. It has an electrified heart string-puller or something.

The other martha doesn't like our song. :sad:

Someone at a big work dinner one night was trying to tell some older VIPs about Tom Waits and she came over to my table and demanded that I come over to her table and sing some Tom Waits for these old geezers. I sang the "those were days of roses, poetry and prose..." refrain. Badly. But they were drunk and thought it was swell. I got a round of applause.

She likes nothing.

This like this more every time I listen to it.

1304844890_danger-mouse-daniele-luppi-rome.jpg

joyfulgirl said:

Someone at a big work dinner one night was trying to tell some older VIPs about Tom Waits and she came over to my table and demanded that I come over to her table and sing some Tom Waits for these old geezers. I sang the "those were days of roses, poetry and prose..." refrain. Badly. But they were drunk and thought it was swell. I got a round of applause.

:applaud: That's probably the frame of mind he was in when he wrote it too, so good choice.

One thing I love about Tom Waits songs is that you don't really quite know what direction the song is taking until the last verse. Things will seem just fine and then they foolishly reveal they're in love, or in prison or whatever else.

I never sang in public again.
"where'd you park the car? where'd you park the car?" after every Radiohead show with martha doesn't count

Hey kids, listen up: Have a little faith, there's magic in the night.

That's far more positive than the, "Every day is silent and grey", that I was just listening to.

iron yuppie said:
I believe that absinthe is meant to be sipped. I imagine that a shot of that would be very difficult to handle. What's the proof - something like 120?

Watered down and sipped, actually. I can't stand the stuff...it tastes like black licorice-flavored cough syrup. It's unique, and I would drink a little if it were around, but I can't imagine taking shots of it under any circumstances. But that's friggin Cobbler for you.

Watered down and sipped, actually. I can't stand the stuff...it tastes like black licorice-flavored cough syrup. It's unique, and I would drink a little if it were around, but I can't imagine taking shots of it under any circumstances. But that's friggin Cobbler for you.

Yeah, I once bought my dad an expensive bottle of absinthe, and the label insisted on a ritual in which you pour water over a sugar cube through some Celtic-looking spoon. But hey, Cobbler is hardcore if he is taking straight shots of absinthe. And he must be rolling in money as well.

iron yuppie said:
Yeah, I once bought my dad an expensive bottle of absinthe, and the label insisted on a ritual in which you pour water over a sugar cube through some Celtic-looking spoon. But hey, Cobbler is hardcore if he is taking straight shots of absinthe. And he must be rolling in money as well.

Birthdays were the worst days
Now we chug absinthe when we thirstay

I probably already like it more than anything on the last album, and this was my first time hearing it.

iron yuppie said:
I believe that absinthe is meant to be sipped. I imagine that a shot of that would be very difficult to handle. What's the proof - something like 120?

:love:

iron yuppie said:

You're supposed to place a sugar cube on an absinthe spoon (a flat pie server with holes in it is basically what it looks like) and pour hot water over it to dissolve the sugar. Then you sip.

The reason people get in trouble with absinthe is that, far as I understand, it takes time to get into your system, and so, they drink it fast without realizing just how much alcohol they're consuming.

Taking shots of it appears to be a fairly common practice, but a waste of good alcohol. And a good way to fuck yourself up.

My final thoughts on Glasto's setlist: I think it was close to being right. It needed New Year's Day, it needed HMTMKMKM to open up the encore, and it needed All I Want Is You. Bad or All I Want Is You should have closed. Something like this would have done the trick:
1. Even Better than the Real Thing
2. The Fly
3. Mysterious Ways
4. Until the End of the World
5. New Year's Day
6. One
7. Where the Streets Have No Name
8. I Will Follow
9. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
10. Beautiful Day
11. City of Blinding Lights
12. Vertigo
13. Sunday Bloody Sunday
14. Bad
15. Pride

16. Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me
17. With or Without You
18. Moment of Surrender
19. All I Want Is You

Certainly not my personal ideal setlist, but for what they were going for, I think that would have been best. I really didn't like the encore they did, which is why my gut reaction to the performance was more negative than most.

You don't like Out Of Bounds??

What's wrong with you?

Also, you can't take Boots out of the setlist if you're trying to preserve their "intent" or whatever.

Back
Top Bottom