Random Music Thread XXXIII: Laz Goes Tubing, Gets Run Over By Tugboat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Muse was by far and away the best opening act I got for U2 so far. And that would still be true if I weren't a fan. I got Dashboard Confessional and Mr. Gwen Stefani's OTHER band on the Vertigo tour.

I've had Kings Of Leon, Kanye West and Jay-Z. Honestly, Jay-Z was probably the better ofr the three, but PLEASE U2 BRING SOMEONE OF THE SAME GENRE AT LEAST NEXT TIME YOU

Since I'm bored, I compiled my Spectrum of Openers for U2 Shows I Have Attended:

PJ Harvey

Kanye (at the time he only had the first two albums out)
Muse (would put them over Kanye but they played mostly 'Resistance' crap)
Garbage (technically did not see them open since they cancelled, but I've seen them before and they're great)

Fun Lovin' Criminals

Lenny Kravitz (eh, Are You Gonna Go My Way is a decent tune)
Damien Marley (didn't actually see him, but I do like 'Welcome to Jamrock')

Keane (didn't actually catch their set, but I'd seen them before and they suck)
Snow Patrol (again missed them, but how could they not suck?)
Kings of Leon (unfortunately I did not miss them)

Dashboard Confessional (mildly redeemed by the emo chicks at the rail who were singing along to everything that asshat said)

Institute (WTFballs)

The quality deviation here is staggering. It's really telling that Fun Lovin' Criminals are at just about the median.

I quite hate Muse. I'd post that in the unpopular opinions thread but I don't think it's that unpopular.

Least surprising statements made in Random on any given day:

1. "I bought something extravagant and unnecessary so I can lord it over the gentiles." - NSW
2. "I'm going to a concert with Martha." - Martha
3. "Fuck Elfa." - everyone
4. "Arcade Fire was good live." - BoMac
5. "I don't like the part where they actually say 'Pow Pow.'" - Peef
6. "Not really my thing, guys. Sorry." - Cobbler
7. "Friggin Cobbler." - everyone

:lol: #5 is the best.

Did you attend the show where the opening act was The Corrs because of Garbage's cancellation?
Was that Baltimore? I want to say it was just a random dude who subbed. Maybe the guy from Crowded House (Neil Finn?), but I might be just pulling that out of my ass.

Oh, Canada.

Eh?

1. "I bought something extravagant and unnecessary so I can lord it over the gentiles." - NSW

:lol: Touché.

Rage Against The Machine as an opener for U2 was pretty cool.

Have any of you seen or would any of you go see Erasure in concert? Someone invited me to go, but I'm not sure I want to.

Hey Laz (or anyone who really likes Steely Dan a great deal), what do you think of Donald Fagen's The Nightfly? I heard it for the first time in several years tonight, and while it's both horribly and brilliantly produced (great engineering, but veneered to hell), I really found it more charming than I remembered. The subject matter of late '50s suburbia is sharply addressed, and I feel that the album really does stand among Fagen's best as far as songwriting is concerned. The Goodbye Look is about as strange and intriguing a story as nearly anything on Royal Scam, and Maxine is just heartbreaking (as is IGY, really).

In short, very interesting record, but I just hate how fucking polished it is. Hearing the first few albums, it's strange and frustrating to hear how far their studio perfectionism took them. For the record, it was among my very favorite albums as a kid. Bought it in the same few months as Achtung Baby back in like 2002, so I was 11. I think the title track was my favorite then, and I don't remember liking New Frontier, although it's clearly a highlight.

He did here as well, but I'm pretty sure 2 were white, and one was Asian, so Kravitz's band would still probably win. :wink:

FWIW, isn't Kravitz himself only half-black?

Just sayin'.

PJ Harvey is far and away the best U2 opener I've seen. She absolutely floored me . . . and left about 99% of the dipshit audience scratching their heads. Fucking U2 fans.

This.

Public Enemy would be second. Had I seen the first leg of the CockTV tour, I'd probably be putting Pixies pretty high up there.

Hey Laz (or anyone who really likes Steely Dan a great deal), what do you think of Donald Fagen's The Nightfly? I heard it for the first time in several years tonight, and while it's both horribly and brilliantly produced (great engineering, but veneered to hell), I really found it more charming than I remembered. The subject matter of late '50s suburbia is sharply addressed, and I feel that the album really does stand among Fagen's best as far as songwriting is concerned. The Goodbye Look is about as strange and intriguing a story as nearly anything on Royal Scam, and Maxine is just heartbreaking (as is IGY, really).

In short, very interesting record, but I just hate how fucking polished it is. Hearing the first few albums, it's strange and frustrating to hear how far their studio perfectionism took them. For the record, it was among my very favorite albums as a kid. Bought it in the same few months as Achtung Baby back in like 2002, so I was 11. I think the title track was my favorite then, and I don't remember liking New Frontier, although it's clearly a highlight.

It's a great album. While there isn't anything on there as good as Babylon Sisters or Hey Nineteen, I think it's a more consistent album than Gaucho. IGY and New Frontier are fantastic singles, and there really isn't any filler.

I might be in the minority though because I think I prefer both Kamakiriad and Morph The Cat. "Snowbound" off the former is fan-fucking-tastic, not surprising as it was co-written and produced by Becker, and is therefore essentially an SD song.

"Snowbound" off the former is fan-fucking-tastic, not surprising as it was co-written and produced by Becker, and is therefore essentially an SD song.

:up::up::up: Been ages since I heard that one. So fucking smooth. I don't think I would agree that Kamakiriad is superior to Nightfly...there are a lot of frustrating, inane lyrics on that album because it's saddled with a silly concept, while Nightfly is brilliant lyrically. Also, I remember Springtime in particular being a really mediocre song.

Morph The Cat, on the other hand, I couldn't say a single negative thing about. I was stunned to hear how much more vital it was than Everything Must Go.

I'd have to disagree with you again there. While I think Morph the Cat is fantastic, I feel the same way about Everything Must Go, which I think is significantly better than Two Against Nature.

Fucking Institute, dear lord. Rossdale airhumped in every direction and rubbed his sweaty hand on a nearby fan. Whatta fun experience.
damn you, i'd forgotten about that.

i'm looking forward to seeing florence next month, it's the only opener of theirs i've seen that i liked. jay z would be first right now which is saying a lot since i don't really care for his music. but he engaged the crowd and put on such a good performance the two nights even i got into it a little.

only other opener i've had is rage, and they were just not my cup of tea. i'll leave it at that since i don't know how popular they are here.

Hey Laz (or anyone who really likes Steely Dan a great deal), what do you think of Donald Fagen's The Nightfly?
you know, i've had it on my ipod forever but have never listened. the only album of his i've heard is kamakiriad, and i love that one. i also agree with laz that snowbound is a great tune. probably my favourite off the album.

U2inUtah said:
Have any of you seen or would any of you go see Erasure in concert? Someone invited me to go, but I'm not sure I want to.

Would love to go. Does this mean they're on tour?

I heard that song with Enrique and Pitbull at gym today.

It makes me want to murder puppies.

You really can't understand my anger when Pitbull is even mentioned. Scumbo's hate for The Fray has got nothing on this.

Man, you guys in LA get ALL the best shit.

hollywood.png

But you know what we're getting in September? TV on the Radio and Arctic Monkeys together. And I can't talk myself into going.

I've seen Muse on many occasions, and they have zero audience interaction. About all you're gonna get is Dom saying 'Thank you, goodnight' at the end of the set. I'm not sure if I've ever heard Matt address the audience.

They're 1 for 3 with engaging me at a show, and I'm pretty easy in that respect.

That's a shame, because the Muse thread posters really want to interact with the band.

lol

My nephew loaned me his Vampire Weekend and Phoenix cds. Vampire Weekend was more ok than I expected. I like the King Sunny guitars; I only skipped one or two songs. I'm not going to buy it, but it didn't offend me. I'm still working through the Phoenix cd. It's ok.

But you know what we're getting in September? TV on the Radio and Arctic Monkeys together. And I can't talk myself into going.

It's not just those two. The bill also includes Panda Bear, Warpaint, and Smith Westerns.

And it's at the Hollywood Bowl.

Tickets are as low as $20.

I love Los Angeles.

Ha, Danny Boy. Well spotted. I'm 0 for 2 with the fan cams. I'll have someone in GA text me in Minneapolis when the cam starts filming, so I can try and make myself visible.

Same here. There's a head blocking me in Denver, and a gaping hole on the rail in Seattle where I was sitting down during the fan cam. When I stood up I thought the fan cam was just headed my way so I prettied my hair and smiled real big and tried not to blink or look stupid, deciding to participate for a change instead of dodging the camera as I always do at U2 gatherings. But I was too late apparently.

This clever boy makes me laugh every day.

Would love to go. Does this mean they're on tour?

Yes. A Fall US Tour supporting a new album "Tomorrows World", also out in Fall 2011. They will be in SLC on Sept 28, and it looks like Chicago on Sept 16 & 17, and Indianapolis on Sept 20.

Erasure (Andy Bell & Vince Clarke) - Live Dates 2011

I liked Erasure growing up, so I'm somewhat excited to go. I'm expecting the show to be quite 'flamboyant'. :D

Back
Top Bottom