Random Music Thread LXIV: Fun Times Ahead In Another Random Cobbler Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My mom's had our local top 40 station on at work sometimes (it's one that will come in easily, she sometimes has issues with the others. And often it's between the top 40 station and the country one, so...). She says that station still plays a shitton of '90s music as though it were brand new stuff. But not the wide variety that Q101 was playing. Mainly more the same 5 or 10 '90s songs over and over, like Sugar Ray and that sort of thing.

Anywho, boy, that story sounds familiar! That happened with my dad all the time-he'd come in at a station and shake up the format a little, play lesser-known songs, not repeat the same ones over and over, focus more on listener requests, expand the genre a bit (if he worked at a rock station he wouldn't just play the same 10 rock bands over and over).

And listeners would love it! The station would become really popular. Then the higher ups would start to get all bothered because this music "just wasn't their thing" and they didn't get the new changes (one station my dad worked at didn't want Lionel Ritchie's "Dancing on the Ceiling" being played before 3 pm because they felt that song was a bit "too raucous" for the listeners). And then Clear Channel or some other corporation would come in, buy up the station, my dad would lose his job (or in one or two instances, he quit when he saw the shit starting to go down), the station would go back to restricted formats or become automated, and listeners would leave in droves. And yet without fail the station managers and corporate people would still insist they did the right thing :banghead:!

That Pitchfork top album list inspired me to go back and listen to Franz Ferdinand's debut album. I still love that thing. A ton of fun.

I still love that album, too. It's just way too fun for words. Their second one remains my personal favorite, though.

I really hope they do a proper tour again soon, I'd definitely go see them if they came to my neck of the woods.

Maybe if I'm in a rental car with no aux hole, but even then I'll try to find an NPR or sports station.

This is why I try to always drive my own car.

BUT, the best local radio listening I ever had was driving in southeast Kansas one early evening. I had visited the Little House near Independence, and I was heading to a motel (I can't remember where it was), but I put the radio on scan, to see what it would pick up. I was able to listen to a very local talk show about sprint car racing. It was so great. I think they even had callers, but I can't be sure.

What I really like, and I have a setting for this on my car radio, is the Navajo Nation radio station. They play modern country, and ABC news at the hour, but the announcing is in Navajo, and many of the ads are, too. BUT, in the morning and evening, and key hours of the day, they have Navajo music to mark those times. It is so freakin' cool.

My favorite part of driving to and from Texas was scanning for radio stations and seeing which song would win for most plays on the trip. >_>

My favorite radio station I have ever come across was the all 90s station in Memphis. Thatstation was insane.

I've come around to listening to my local "alternative rock" station again. They brought back my favorite DJ and re-instituted him as program manager and he brought back some of my favorite features of the station. So I'll listen to them in the car, but if they're playing something I don't like, then I will pop in a CD or my iPod instead. They pronounced Gotye "Got-ee-yay" this afternoon and I cringed a little, though.

I've come around to listening to my local "alternative rock" station again. They brought back my favorite DJ and re-instituted him as program manager and he brought back some of my favorite features of the station. So I'll listen to them in the car, but if they're playing something I don't like, then I will pop in a CD or my iPod instead. They pronounced Gotye "Got-ee-yay" this afternoon and I cringed a little, though.

Every person I have heard say his name out loud, on U.S. stations at any rate, pronounces it like that. At least, I think we're pronouncing it the same way...though I'd spell it Goat-E-Ay

Y'all see Grizzly Bear on Colbert this week?

Man, both of the songs they've put out from the new album are beautiful.

I honestly don't think I have listened to Top 40 radio since the 80's and basically no musical radio at all since the late 90's/.

This. Who gives a fuck about the radio?

It's not like you're going to learn about new music that way more than through various sources on the internet.

There is no possible way you thought I was using "I seen" in anything but an ironic/deliberately incorrect way. Not. Possible.

I kinda figured that. Your question mark threw me off though.

You know those people you went to highschool with who are still living in your hometown, smoking, drinking labatt 50 in their backyards, and listening to eminem? That's how they talk

tom-cruise-top-gun-gay-funny-gifs-eccbc87e4b5ce2fe28308fd9f2a7baf3-712.gif

wait, you guys better fill this thread up with gifs for when I wake up in the morning though

This. Who gives a fuck about the radio?

It's not like you're going to learn about new music that way more than through various sources on the internet.

I've got satellite radio, and I find a ton of new music that way. But regular radio can step on a Lego.

And when it comes to road trips with friends, we always put it on Sirius/XM's station "The Roadhouse" and then bet on the over/under of how long it will be before we hear a Conway Twitty song.

Let's get this thread over with and done.

Yes, please. Loved the list of previous thread titles, though. It almost redeemed this godforsaken thread.

In other news, I won a raffle at my new job today. I got two tickets to see the Diamondbacks vs. the Dodgers, right behind homeplate, with $80 to spend at the ballpark and a premiere parking pass. :hyper:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom