Random Music Thread LXIV: Fun Times Ahead In Another Random Cobbler Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can we hurry the next ten posts so iYup doesn't kill Cobbler?

As long as someone makes the thread before Cobbler can make an Eiffel 65 reference in the title.

Is that Pitchfork "dynamic" view of the Cat Power cover story meant to be used with iPads or whatever? The text was gigantic and made constant scrolling a pain on a browser.

Imperor said:
Perhaps, but you never wax philosophical about what The Carter III means to the black community in a post NWA cultural landscape or whatever buzzword bullshit. That shit bugs the fuck out of me. I'm all for liking hip hop. Lord knows I've come around to much of it in recent years. I can tell you why I think a beat is great or what's a clever turn of phrase. But I'm not going to sit there and act like I can fully appreciate something like "It Was a Good Day." It's not my world.

Obviously this is all my ridiculous opinion, and I'm well aware of how dumb it is. I always had a strange reaction growing up as an upper middle class suburban white kid hanging out with other upper middle class suburban white kids who worshipped Tupac. It just felt weird to me.

The tupac thing bugged the shit out of me. I will never understand how my sister can watch a video of tupac essentially saying that if he realistically could he'd kill everyone white just because theyre white, and still idolize the guy. And of course, he wanted to kill whitey because whitey hates him for being black. Yeah, that makes sense. Anyone who says stuff like that, all I see is a giant shitbag.

cobl04 said:
Fucking awesome man congrats :up:

Oh right. Yeah, that annoys me as well. And that is incredibly weird if you look at it: middle class suburban white kid waxing philosophical about hip-hop.

I proselytise, as is painfully obvious, but I hope I've never proclaimed to know hip-hop intimately as if I was part of the movement. I'm just one hell of an appreciator.

Yeah, you like hip hop because as music, it's something that is incredibly appealing to listen to to your ears. Not because you're trying to prove how "ghetto" you are. Sadly, the vast majority of white kids listening to hip hop are doing it for the latter reason. If string quartets ran around busting caps in asses in their down time, then those kids would immediately switch to Beethoven.

Reggo said:
Utah's pretty much only rock festival. Not an official poster, though the lineup is correct. I have no interest in going, except maybe to see The Wombats. I can't justify standing around at the Gallivan Center all day just for The Wombats, though.

That might be the most horrible line up and it kind of depresses me that there is a person out there who thought it would be a good idea. Although if I were the truly homicidal type and had a readily accessible cache of explosives, it would at least make things easy on me...

BigMacPhisto said:
. I've done a lot of delving into rock history and have probably listened to more music than almost anybody else on Interference .

I stopped reading here. And it's pretty hard not to tell you, or everyone else here who thinks that about themselves, to go fuck themselves. Because you know what everyone else has ever listened to, and actually think quantifiying the amount of albums you've heard even matters. Yeah, seriously, go fuck yourself.

Axver said:
I don't see why you equate great albums with albums that change the course of music history. I don't give a shit about whether an album was "really revolutionary". On the basis of some of the discussion I've seen on this forum, my opinion may belong in the old unpopular opinions thread, but "impact" or critical consensus is completely irrelevant to how I rate an album or a year; the only thing that matters to me is how good I think an album sounds and how much I want to play the daylights out of it. "Great" is based on the content, not the context. Context may be interesting or rewarding to know, but it doesn't change the content of the disc - and that's what I'm judging. The music that I think is great has largely come out in the last ten or fifteen years. Do I claim (or care if) it has changed the course of any music history? Only the trajectory of my own tastes. But on the basis of that taste, I am happy to agree with anybody who says that there are more great albums coming out now than there were decades ago.

I guess my RYM five star ratings are revealing. I've given 29 albums five stars (I'm stingy, what can I say). Only seven are pre-1990, with the oldest from 1977. The only year to get three five star albums is 1999, and the only years between 1999 and now without a five star album are 2001 and 2011.

Come on axver, didn't you know that the only albums worth anything are the ones the critical consensus as deemed historically important and influential? Even if they had to partake in a little bit of revisionism decades down the line, because they didn't "get it" at the time! It's not about us objective opinion, it's about FACT. Trust me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom