Random Music Thread LXII: Which we did not let Cobbler title.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm getting addicted to loud, sweaty rock gigs. Screaming Females played here too, just nuts. The singer is Karen O size and makes just as much ruckus as she does. Amazing guitar player too. Garage rock with great hooks.

Not a lot of that at Lollapalooza, unfortunately. Tame Impala is playing at the same time as Black Angels, so that's out. Sabbath and Jack White is about it.

After much soul-searching, I finally acquired the mono versions of the Beatles albums. George Martin was quoted as saying if you haven't heard Sgt. Pepper's in mono then you haven't really heard the album.

They're not as high quality as I'd like, but I'm already noticing differences. One obvious one is the fiddle outro on The White Album's Don't Pass Me By, which goes on significantly longer.

It's tough for the brain to get used to hearing these songs a different way, as I've been living with the stereo mixes for like 30 years.

There are used copies of the mono set as low as $89, which doesn't seem too bad a price.

I hate when I spell things wrong on my ipod. I'm listening to "bargin" and it's driving me nuts. I still feel like this song is trying to sell me something.

I hope you bullies are happy. I spent a considerable amount of my store credit on Revolver, Let It Be, and Help! (which was the one I was going to get anyway). They only had the remastered copies, but since I wasn't paying for them anyway, I didn't care.

Also, someone needs to send me U22222.
:up:

I would appreciate U22222222 as well...

Guys, I'd like to say something about U22 in here, because fuck EYKIW, me going in there isn't gonna happen. So, here's my thing:

I enjoyed the album more than I thought I would. Some of the song choices are meh but most were in synch with what I'd have picked which is nice. On songs like Until the End of the World or The Fly or Even Better than the Real Thing, the BAND sounds as good as ever, at least to my ears. Those songs don't lack for punch, nor did Bad or One Tree Hill lack for emotional heft. But, you know what? I love the band, and I love Bono and I'll see them on tour no matter the state of things....but to me, his voice is a shadow of what it used to be. I don't know if a person unfamiliar with the band could listen to a studio version of a song from, say, The Joshua Tree then any other song from U22 and say it was the same singer. Time, abuse, tobacco, lack of technique, whatever, have their way with singers, I guess it's inevitable....so this isn't an angry accusation, it's just, to my ears, a fact.

That does it. I'm going down to San Diego to see them.

The Drums?

That was really fucking weird. I can't decide if I'm GLAD they had such a huge fan-base at the show, or irritated because they were all so fucking annoying. Screaming for "Let's Go Surfing" through the whole damn show. Guys...chill the fuck out. They'll play it. But they were REALLY into the show so, I mean, double-edged sword.

Guys, I'd like to say something about U22 in here, because fuck EYKIW, me going in there isn't gonna happen. So, here's my thing:

I enjoyed the album more than I thought I would. Some of the song choices are meh but most were in synch with what I'd have picked which is nice. On songs like Until the End of the World or The Fly or Even Better than the Real Thing, the BAND sounds as good as ever, at least to my ears. Those songs don't lack for punch, nor did Bad or One Tree Hill lack for emotional heft. But, you know what? I love the band, and I love Bono and I'll see them on tour no matter the state of things....but to me, his voice is a shadow of what it used to be. I don't know if a person unfamiliar with the band could listen to a studio version of a song from, say, The Joshua Tree then any other song from U22 and say it was the same singer. Time, abuse, tobacco, lack of technique, whatever, have their way with singers, I guess it's inevitable....so this isn't an angry accusation, it's just, to my ears, a fact.

Why....hello.

Who's this asshole?

Coincidentally, when IWB mentioned her iPod reading "Bargin" I was going to make a joke about changing it to "Fagin" and then something about a "real bargain".

On a serious note, while I agree mostly that Boner isn't on the level he used to be, I think it has more to do with a lack consistency. Because I feel like every show I've seen (at least on the last couple tours), he has a handful of songs where I'm pretty blown away at what he's still able to achieve. Like, he just manages to pull the magic out of his ass at times.

You'd think NSW could be bothered to pop in Zoo Station and share his TDKR thoughts as well, but we could have just been on the business end of a quick drive-by.

On a serious note, while I agree mostly that Boner isn't on the level he used to be, I think it has more to do with a lack consistency. Because I feel like every show I've seen (at least on the last couple tours), he has a handful of songs where I'm pretty blown away at what he's still able to achieve. Like, he just manages to pull the magic out of his ass at times.

I don't disagree with this, as I've experienced it too. He has his moments, still, for sure. I actually think he sings best when he sings New Year's Day, but maybe that's my bias towards the song itself.

You'd think NSW could be bothered to pop in Zoo Station and share his TDKR thoughts as well, but we could have just been on the business end of a quick drive-by.

I'm afraid to go in there because I'll just wind up going off on Deep and revisiting some of the things that make me disappear for months at a time.

One specific observation I'll make: part of what makes Moment of Service so powerful to me is the really raw and strong vocal, one of the best Boner's had in the last decade, if not THE best.

But in the live shows, I feel like he's trying to force that rawness, and it simply doesn't work. If the song was further back in the set where it wasn't trying to be a showstopper (and it clearly isn't that type of song), he could attack it from a different angle, some alternate phrasing, and it would have been its own thing, and could have been more memorable.

I am a bad fan in that on many occasions I started heading for my car or the subway (WHEN I SAW THE BAND IN EUROPE) during Moment of Surrender, specifically because it wound up being a snoozer of a closer for me, and I do like the song very much on the album.

He now believes

he can pass judgement on movies

by looking at a production still,

so that may be

for the best.

I saw that post, I saw your idea for his dating site or whatnot, I laughed, and then I gtfo quickly. Maybe tomorrow when I'm watching Archery or Rowing I'll pop back in there and give my brief thoughts on the film

I loved it.

I'll never forget my excitement, then crushing disappointment, when during the first Melbourne show in 2010, Bono was so pumped up by the crowd (he shouted "fuck yeah!" during Streets) towards the end that he considered taking the band back on for one more song. And then Larry was like, "no, come on Bono, we've had enough."

FUCK YOU LARRY.

No spoken words said:
Maybe tomorrow when I'm watching Archery or Rowing from my gold-plated douche box in London I'll pop back in there and give my brief thoughts on the film, between glances through the opera glasses, of course.

:wave:

Still really enjoying Spooky Action at a Distance, you guys.

Is today the day for interference returns? :sad:

Seriously am though. And Alpine's debut is pretty sweet. In a similar sort of vein.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom