Random Music Thread LXII: Which we did not let Cobbler title.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The old rumor about "Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds" is that it was about LSD. Not heroin.

I've heard the heroin/"Hey Jude" rumor before, but I prefer the other story: That Paul wrote it for John's son, Julian.

I also love the little anecdote about the first time Paul ever played the song for John. Paul knew it was great, and a sure hit, but he hadn't quite finished the lyric. Paul sang the line "...the movement you need is on your shoulder..." and motioned to John as if to say "This line is crap, it's just a placeholder, I'll change it later."

And John was like "No, it's brilliant. I love it. Keep the line."

Oh duh. Yeah, I messed up - I meant LSD and not heroin for Lucy.

Didn't know that tale about Hey Jude was out there. But it's not like "common knowledge" or a widely accepted story, right? Is it weird for someone to associate Hey Jude as being a song about heroin?

I think the origin of the heroin thing is probably the line "The minute you let her under your skin, then you begin to make it better..."

In reference to the needle going under the skin, and the drug soothing your pain.

"And any time you feel the pain..."

I'm not saying that's correct at all. I don't think it's anywhere near Paul's initial meaning or motivation. I like the idea of it being a comforting tune for his friend's son. But, yeah. Just a couple of vague lines, added on to the common knowledge that the Beatles experimented with drugs around that time and, yeah. I can see someone wanting to think that.

Every Beatles song post-'65 has probably had people stretching the lyrics to interpret it as a DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS song.

GirlsAloudFan said:
The old rumor about "Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds" is that it was about LSD. Not heroin.

I've heard the heroin/"Hey Jude" rumor before, but I prefer the other story: That Paul wrote it for John's son, Julian.

I also love the little anecdote about the first time Paul ever played the song for John. Paul knew it was great, and a sure hit, but he hadn't quite finished the lyric. Paul sang the line "...the movement you need is on your shoulder..." and motioned to John as if to say "This line is crap, it's just a placeholder, I'll change it later."

And John was like "No, it's brilliant. I love it. Keep the line."

Something about a parrot.

Never heard this heroin nonsense before. Didn't even know the Olympics were happening around now, either though.

I went back and read the comment, and she said Hey Jude was about LSD. So I got that wrong, too. But apparently you can make heroin connections about it, too, so ... eh.

But yeah, there are a gajillion rumors about the Beatles. I mean, she doesn't believe Paul is actually dead, I hope. And people overturned every lyric like a rock, looking for bugs drug references.

I'm just surprised that someone thinks "oh, that song is about LSD" whenever they hear Hey Jude. I'm sorry, but that's kind of insane. She thought it was inappropriate they use a song about LSD to celebrate athletes whose bodies are their temples.

ELL OH ELL.

Come on, didnt you know every song from the late 60s is about drugs? That's when drugs were invented!

Or I guess if they're not about drugs, they're about sex. (joke about sex not being invented til the 60s either) And then there's the ones about drugs AND sex. Definetly shouldn't play those at the Olympics.

It's torrentially downpouring outside. I'm gonna go play my guitar.

How many people did England traumatize by having whathisname from Prodigy appear on their screens during the musical segment?

So at my new job I get to listen to my iPod all day. So great! I just hope I don't get sick of my music too quickly!

Maybe I should buy some more cds.

I think the origin of the heroin thing is probably the line "The minute you let her under your skin, then you begin to make it better..."

In reference to the needle going under the skin, and the drug soothing your pain.

"And any time you feel the pain..."

I'm not saying that's correct at all. I don't think it's anywhere near Paul's initial meaning or motivation. I like the idea of it being a comforting tune for his friend's son. But, yeah. Just a couple of vague lines, added on to the common knowledge that the Beatles experimented with drugs around that time and, yeah. I can see someone wanting to think that.

Paul has always been clear he wrote it for Julian and I doubt he threw in a line about drugs making it better for a 5 year old. I have always wondered what that line meant, though - I figured it could refer either to the "sad song" as she, or more directly, could have referred to Yoko. Or it could have referred to nothing in particular but just came out that way while he was writing it, just like "movement you need is on your shoulder."

I thoroughly enjoyed the opening ceremony last night. I laughed a lot. LOVED the National Health bit; I hope Romney enjoyed it as much as I did.

I always figured sad song = shitty situation. Sad song has a better ring to it.

But yeah, there are a gajillion rumors about the Beatles. I mean, she doesn't believe Paul is actually dead, I hope.

When I was thirteen or fourteen I saw some homemade, amateur-hour film about Paul being dead that actually convinced me he was for a while. The guy was holding a mirror to the middle of the Sgt. Pepper's cover and doing a whole bunch of other gimmickry that in retrospect was beyond ridiculous. Anyway, I love the razor-sharp wit with which John tears apart all the lyrical scrutiny and conspiracy-theorizing in Glass Onion.

When I was thirteen or fourteen I saw some homemade, amateur-hour film about Paul being dead that actually convinced me he was for a while. The guy was holding a mirror to the middle of the Sgt. Pepper's cover and doing a whole bunch of other gimmickry that in retrospect was beyond ridiculous. Anyway, I love the razor-sharp wit with which John tears apart all the lyrical scrutiny and conspiracy-theorizing in Glass Onion.

Imagine how pretentious or idiotic a song making reference to songs from the band's past could have been, but yeah Lennon's wit just makes Glass Onion such a delight.

I hope you bullies are happy. I spent a considerable amount of my store credit on Revolver, Let It Be, and Help! (which was the one I was going to get anyway). They only had the remastered copies, but since I wasn't paying for them anyway, I didn't care.

Also, someone needs to send me U22222.

IMG_20120728_194932.jpg

Fang Island is a ridiculous looking band.

There are so many teenage girls here to see The Drums, crowding the front rail. Maybe a band for GAF to look into?

It sucks because moshing was at a minimum for Fang Island.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom