Random Music Thread LXII: Which we did not let Cobbler title.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am sympathetic in the sense that the whole "Everything the Beatles ever did is a cultural jewel" argument has been reiterated so many times in so many places that I totally understand how one would be irritated by it or even want to rebel against it. It has become metanarrative and is now approaching cliche.

I wonder if this relates to why I've never bothered getting into them. When people have tried to get me to check them out, I know there's no way any music could possibly live up to being on that high of a pedestal. Not to say that the people encouraging me put them there--it's just that we all know where the Beatles stand in the canon of rock and roll, and that's near the very top for lots of people.

I wonder if this relates to why I've never bothered getting into them. When people have tried to get me to check them out, I know there's no way any music could possibly live up to being on that high of a pedestal.

This is exactly why I don't like Revolver all that much. Before I listened to it, I'd been reading stuff for years about how it's one of the greatest albums ever, saw a few lists where it was #1, people always talk about it as one of these cornerstones of rock n roll, so when I finally listened to it, I was so let down. It's good, but aside from Tomorrow Never Knows there was nothing on it that blew me away. It didn't change my life.

In The Aeroplane Over The Sea and Nevermind are probably the only two albums whose hype is so intense and my disappointment so great that I can't connect with the material anymore. I've tried so many times.

The Anthology is a super documentary. I remember the global event it was when it was premiered back in '95 and it was what got me into not just the Beatles, but music in general.

What I find most staggering is how much musical, personal and industrial transformation they crammed within a mere decade.

My physical copy of Kill For Love finally arrived. The back cover is pretty cool.

Never really thought about it before, but is the front cover a reference to Loveless?

I assumed it was - as simple an idea as it may be, a close up of a guitar with a lot of vibrant, cool pink immediately recalls Loveless, so I'm sure it'd have to be.

Sign me up for another who enjoys Good Morning Good Morning a lot, but not one who enjoys Get Back. I absolutely love the Beatles and think they crafted a remarkable selection of the greatest songs and albums ever written, but even some of their best known tracks are stinkers, albeit pretty good stinkers.

iron yuppie said:
A Day in the Life, which is sounding more and more to me like the crowning achievement of rock/pop music. I'd elaborate, but I'm jet-lagged as hell right now.

I can get behind this... I remember lying on my living room floor as a kid next to the speaker listening to this song over and over again - I had to keep getting up to put the needle back.

From Paul's "woke up..." line onward I still get chills listening to it.

Yeah, they don't make songs like that anymore. Silly as this might sound, to me, it still sounds experimental and futuristic, some 45 years on.

No kidding, it's crazy. Probably tied with some others as my favourite song of all time. What music released today will sound as remarkable 45 years from now?

I also was unaware of it until later in life. I'm always surprised how many of my friends who are big Beatles fans aren't super familiar with it.

How can they be big Beatles fans and not know Revolver and Tomorrow Never Knows? You don't have to answer that. I'm just flat out accusing them of being liars, is all. :wink:

They like Revolver, but for some reason seem to not care much about Tomorrow Never Knows.

I must punish them.

59743.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom