Random Music Thread LXII: Which we did not let Cobbler title.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Any recommendations on where to start? Joyful? Laz?

I think we had this debate not too long ago. My first instinct is to say The White Album, simply because it showcases the widest variety of styles. There may be some stuff you dislike a lot, but you're also bound to enjoy a lot as well. It's also a nice split between the more organic direction they'd go next and the experimental stuff preceding it, though it's not really psychedelic in the way that Sgt. Pepper's and Magical Mystery Tour are.

My alternate suggestion is Revolver, which will likely be the consensus pick here. It has some of the simple catchiness of the earlier work, some very sophisticated pop work from McCartney with strings and horn sections, some legit rockers, Indian influence, pretty ballads and their first forays into psychedelia. It's got everything, really.

Oh crap, this means picking revolver as a favorite puts me in with the general populace? Dammit! :wink:

While I'm in the minority by usually favoring the early stuff (seriously guys, I friggn love a hard day's night and help! more than a lot of things), and laz and I generally tend to disagree on a lot--particularly regarding the Beatles--I have to say he's right on the money here as good starters.

The White album was definitely the album that made me think "Wow, even their non-radio single songs are awesome" as a kid. But yeah, there are some famously hated songs there as well (#9, #9, #9, #kill myself).

Haven't watched it yet, but I'm excited to see the music video for The Shins' "It's Only Life". Apparently it was done by Childrens Hospital, that show is hilarious.

Wild Honey Pie and Revolution 9 are two of the biggest pieces of shit in the history of recorded music, and that is not an exaggeration in any way.

The White Album was not a favorite of mine as a kid. It was the first full Beatles album I heard, and it didn't prompt me to hear anything else for a while. Abbey Road was the hook for me. Revolver would be a good choice too.

u2popmofo said:
The White album was definitely the album that made me think "Wow, even their non-radio single songs are awesome" as a kid. But yeah, there are some famously hated songs there as well (#9, #9, #9, #kill myself).

Haven't watched it yet, but I'm excited to see the music video for The Shins' "It's Only Life". Apparently it was done by Childrens Hospital, that show is hilarious.

By the time the white album clicked with me, id been through the entire catalogue a couple million times. Took a me a while to get past the handful of tunes I enjoyed to really appreciate the rest of it, but I couldn't figure why my mom hated it. Even with the non-songs (#9, wild honey pie) and the crappy ones (regular honey pie, piggies) there's so much badassness on that beast that it makes up for how little I ever want to hear obladi oblada again. Cos I don't even care enough to put the - s in the right place in the title. but there's some great stuff on there, and variety, variety, variety.

I must see.

I can see for miles and miles and miles, guys.

Actually, I can't see shit and I'm pretty sure I need glasses. I'd say my ears are fine, but I'm having some issues with my left. Sense of smell is fine unfortunately, the dog just farted.

I even like #9 and Wild Honey Pie. Or rather, I don't mind them. They're just part of the whole trip and it would seem weird without them.

I can see for miles and miles and miles, guys.

Actually, I can't see shit and I'm pretty sure I need glasses. I'd say my ears are fine, but I'm having some issues with my left. Sense of smell is fine unfortunately, the dog just farted.
This post made me laugh more than it should have.

I even like #9 and Wild Honey Pie. Or rather, I don't mind them. They're just part of the whole trip and it would seem weird without them.

Neither bug me as much as they seem to bug others. I'm sure I'd hate them if I listened to them out of context of the album though.

Generally they don't bug me, because I simply never listen to them. Pretty sure I expressed my hatred/inspired laz to call me an idiot on the subject of #9 in the Beatles thread already, though.

I think the reason I like "who are you" again has a lot to do with the fact that I stopped watching csi ages ago.

PhilsFan said:
This post made me laugh more than it should have.

:lol: it's because we shared lunch with her. Chicken gives that dog some terrible, terrible gas.

I only saw two or three episodes of Louie, but I don't find him nearly as hilarious as everyone else seems to. He looks an awful lot like mark linskey from the hudson falcons. Mark Linskey is the man.

LemonMelon said:

There are some hilarious Peeling Off Those Dollar Bills threads I would have missed without it.

Just the existence of that forum baffles me. Maybe if I were an accountant I'd care?

The Revolution No. 9 debate again, awesome. :rolleyes:

It's not a song, folks. Can we straighten that out again? It's Lennon attempting to introduce avant garde to the mainstream. To call it "the biggest piece of shit..." or whatever is just so fucking obtuse. It's art. You don't like it, fine. But at least make an attempt to get outside your own head space and recognize that most people never heard ANYTHING like this before back in 1968, and it opened up a lot of possibilities for many musicians.

Just the existence of that forum baffles me. Maybe if I were an accountant I'd care?

u2xmas4.jpg

I like Revolution 9. I've heard far worse sound collages (any of the John/Yoko collab albums), and it was groundbreaking. For the Beatles to do something like that, giving a nod to the counterculture...awesome stuff. But, most importantly, it sounds cool.

Savoy Truffle and Don't Pass Me By are worse.

most people never heard ANYTHING like this before back in 1968, and it opened up a lot of possibilities for many musicians.

This.

It is kind of hard for me to understand that people don't get that, but it's also impossible for me to know how the Beatles sound today to people hearing them for the first time, especially when they're downloading tunes instead of listening to, and studying, entire records which is how I grew up listening to music. We didn't do a lot of getting up to move the needle. (We were too tired from having walked 5 miles home from school in 3 feet of snow with just a bowl of Campbell's soup in our tummies.)

joyfulgirl said:
We didn't do a lot of getting up to move the needle. (We were too tired from having walked 5 miles home from school in 3 feet of snow with just a bowl of Campbell's soup in our tummies.)

Or, tired from drugs.

Hippie.

The Revolution No. 9 debate again, awesome. :rolleyes:

It's not a song, folks. Can we straighten that out again? It's Lennon attempting to introduce avant garde to the mainstream. To call it "the biggest piece of shit..." or whatever is just so fucking obtuse. It's art. You don't like it, fine. But at least make an attempt to get outside your own head space and recognize that most people never heard ANYTHING like this before back in 1968, and it opened up a lot of possibilities for many musicians.
It's genuinely unpleasant to listen to. I can say that about very few "tracks" (since we're not calling it a song, which I never did, I called it a piece of shit).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom