Random Music Thread LXII: Which we did not let Cobbler title.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm convinced the "ooh-ooh oh-woah" break in Heart of Glass is among the best of what music has to offer. I for whatever reason remember it happening more than once, but I was disappointed to find that's not the case.

Yeah, but, you and a lot of others knew I wasn't dead, Martha.

IWB, though, lived in ignorance, keeping a nightly vigil, hoping against hope that tomorrow.......would be the day I make contact. Or something.

No spoken words said:
Guys, I'd like to say something about U22 in here, because fuck EYKIW, me going in there isn't gonna happen. So, here's my thing:

I enjoyed the album more than I thought I would. Some of the song choices are meh but most were in synch with what I'd have picked which is nice. On songs like Until the End of the World or The Fly or Even Better than the Real Thing, the BAND sounds as good as ever, at least to my ears. Those songs don't lack for punch, nor did Bad or One Tree Hill lack for emotional heft. But, you know what? I love the band, and I love Bono and I'll see them on tour no matter the state of things....but to me, his voice is a shadow of what it used to be. I don't know if a person unfamiliar with the band could listen to a studio version of a song from, say, The Joshua Tree then any other song from U22 and say it was the same singer. Time, abuse, tobacco, lack of technique, whatever, have their way with singers, I guess it's inevitable....so this isn't an angry accusation, it's just, to my ears, a fact.

I respectfully disagree.
As I said before on another thread, what makes Bono's voice great is the EMOTION put behind every lyric. You can tell he means what he sings. And yeah, his voice has changed, but he is 52 years old.... His voice had to change at one point or another. It doesn't make him any less of a singer. It's just different. :)

No spoken words said:
Yeah, but, you and a lot of others knew I wasn't dead, Martha.

IWB, though, lived in ignorance, keeping a nightly vigil, hoping against hope that tomorrow.......would be the day I make contact. Or something.

You know how hard it is to send up smoke signals using a cigarette?

Or I was covering for the fact that I thought I might have sent up some kind of warped bat signal by mentioning your acronym somewhere the other day (in a disparaging comparison, of course).

Something, indeed.

Guys, I'd like to say something about U22 in here, because fuck EYKIW, me going in there isn't gonna happen. So, here's my thing:

I enjoyed the album more than I thought I would. Some of the song choices are meh but most were in synch with what I'd have picked which is nice. On songs like Until the End of the World or The Fly or Even Better than the Real Thing, the BAND sounds as good as ever, at least to my ears. Those songs don't lack for punch, nor did Bad or One Tree Hill lack for emotional heft. But, you know what? I love the band, and I love Bono and I'll see them on tour no matter the state of things....but to me, his voice is a shadow of what it used to be. I don't know if a person unfamiliar with the band could listen to a studio version of a song from, say, The Joshua Tree then any other song from U22 and say it was the same singer. Time, abuse, tobacco, lack of technique, whatever, have their way with singers, I guess it's inevitable....so this isn't an angry accusation, it's just, to my ears, a fact.
Totally agree. I feel like he has to save himself for the big notes, and in doing so, he lazes his way through the rest of the work. Listen to him do the verses on The Fly (and musically this is the best they've ever played it): he can't even keep the melody because he sounds out of breath. He coasts his way through songs during the parts where he doesn't have to hit big notes, and it bugs the shit out of me when people try to say he's a better singer now than he ever was.

Random personal stuff:

I don't know if I've ever mentioned this, but I'm in the final stages of a PhD in ancient Greek and Roman history. Anyway, I've been in Italy for the past week and today came across far and away the finest collection of classical art that I have ever seen. It was an extremely pleasant surprise in so far as I did not expect to find such a treasure in Naples.

Also, welcome back NSW.

zomg hi, NSW. :)

And hey, I spied a new (not old-new, but new-new) poster venturing in here - welcome!

I agree with both NSW and laz on the vocal junk. I felt a strong need to say that. It's important that you all know what I think at all times.

iyup, that sounds amazing.

Off to Ocean Shores today, on the coast (duh). Spending two nights there, renting a condo on the beach (well, as close to the beach as you can get - there's dunes between you and the actual beach). There's not much to do in Ocean Shores, but I'm just going to spend two days chilling by the ocean. It's still a novelty for this midwest gal.

Woke up this morning to a dog covered in his own feces inside his crate. I stupidly opened the crate to get him out and he got away from me, tracking it all across my living room and kitchen. Had what was close to a traumatic experience cleaning it all up.

Glad you enjoyed U22, NSW. Good to see you back around.

And yeah, his voice has changed, but he is 52 years old.... His voice had to change at one point or another.

Yeah, it's kind of pointless to be annoyed that Bono doesn't sing like he did in his youth. Vocal chords lose elasticity as we age. It may be disappointing to know we're never going to hear him sound like he did at his peak, but it's not surprising or as if he's doing something wrong. Even if he had never smoked and taken meticulous care of his voice, it would still sound different today.

Mofo, did you stock up on that Nature's Miracle yet?

I forgot to listen in on the U2.com rebroadcast of the Sao Paulo show yesterday. And I wasn't doing a damn thing but cleaning the house. I guess I still have one more chance today (8PM London time, for you subscribers who also forgot). So that's, like, soon.

I don't know if I've ever mentioned this, but I'm in the final stages of a PhD in ancient Greek and Roman history. Anyway, I've been in Italy for the past week and today came across far and away the finest collection of classical art that I have ever seen. It was an extremely pleasant surprise in so far as I did not expect to find such a treasure in Naples.

:up:

Is your degree in classics or history? From which university? I'm a classicist and teach Latin and Greek now. And I'm the kind of dork who went to my best friend's house last night so we could sit and eat pizza while translating Propertius 4.11. :nerd:

NSW! :wave:

No, Fang Island.

Yes, do that soon. I didn't want to take videos or a lot of pictures, but I couldn't stop myself at one point, their energy level is TOO DAMN HIGH.
http://youtu.be/lTD7b5Hn0H8

That's from a few years ago, and it makes me wonder if half their lineup changed, or they just all got haircuts.

Random personal stuff:

Also, welcome back NSW.

That's really awesome, iYup. Mega jealous.
Woke up this morning to a dog covered in his own feces inside his crate. I stupidly opened the crate to get him out and he got away from me, tracking it all across my living room and kitchen. Had what was close to a traumatic experience cleaning it all up.

Glad you enjoyed U22, NSW. Good to see you back around.

I am...so with you. I'm kind of at a loss about what to do with this dog when it comes to poop :(

Looking at Fang Island's site, it would appear that the two main vocal/guitar guys and the drummer are the only official members of the band.

Time, abuse, tobacco, lack of technique, whatever, have their way with singers, I guess it's inevitable....so this isn't an angry accusation, it's just, to my ears, a fact.

Yeah, it's kind of pointless to be annoyed that Bono doesn't sing like he did in his youth. Vocal chords lose elasticity as we age. It may be disappointing to know we're never going to hear him sound like he did at his peak, but it's not surprising or as if he's doing something wrong. Even if he had never smoked and taken meticulous care of his voice, it would still sound different today.

I don't know if you were talking to me or just in general but it's pretty obvious from my word choices that I'm not annoyed. I even go out of my way to say so......for me, it was less about being annoyed and more being.......startled, I guess at the difference when listening to quality, Live performances from the last tour. It just jumped at me and this seemed the place to share. :) I still love the band, Joyful! :hug:

Hi back to Alicia, Trevor, Gabe and HeartlandGirl. :)

I don't know if you were talking to me or just in general but it's pretty obvious from my word choices that I'm not annoyed. I even go out of my way to say so......for me, it was less about being annoyed and more being.......startled, I guess at the difference when listening to quality, Live performances from the last tour. It just jumped at me and this seemed the place to share. :) I still love the band, Joyful! :hug:

Hi back to Alicia, Trevor, Gabe and HeartlandGirl. :)

That was not addressed to you or to anyone in particular. It was obvious you were not annoyed. I should have worded it differently. But I didn't. :kiss:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom