Random Music Thread - CXII Mofo, it's Halloween, Change your avatar plz.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Could anyone tell me what time the U2 shows are usually finished?

Sent from my H60-L04 using U2 Interference mobile app

I bought that Julia Holter album. By about the halfway mark I was getting ready to write it off as a lesser version of the Natalie Prass album, that is, not a bad album, just kind of there (without songs like Bird of Prey or Your Fool to come back to), but the second half is something. Definitely a grower (and holy shit if her last albums were less accessible there's no way I'll like them) and at the moment I probably find it more interesting than, yknow, a good album, but that's not necessarily a knock. Lucette Stranded on the Island was prob my favourite song, love the lyrics and it really takes off and sends you into this wondrous place once the first "oh she's been marooned..." comes in, the orchestration and her backing vocals are sublime. Betsy on the Roof, Night Song, Vasquez and the title track are all great too.

Keep listening. Most of my favorites are in the run of tracks early to midway through the album, but it does indeed end very well. Yes, her other albums are considerably less accessible, unless of course you're into the kind of music she makes already, in which case you'll be fine. "Accessible" is relative to your background.

For instance, I listened to that Natalie Prass album once and decided it was absolutely not for me. It's way way way way too sweet and light. I could tell it was well written and performed, but it's audio diabetes. I don't want to be hugged for 40 minutes straight. Every now and again is fine, but not for that long. Maybe if I'm in a puppies and rainbows mindset one day, I'll give it another go.

Last edited:
That the collab album she did with Lorde? Definitely a classic.

Also check out some Merzbow.

Could anyone tell me what time the U2 shows are usually finished?

Sent from my H60-L04 using U2 Interference mobile app
Please? I want to figure out if I can still catch a train afterwards and I'm also trying to avoid spoilers so I don't want to venture into the tour forum.

How great is When You Come, by the way. Definitely my favourite Crowded House song. Fantastic, fantastical lyricism from Neil Finn, taking a topic that's been done to death (I love my girl) and bringing it to life with some really colourful imagery. The last 90 or so seconds, with the build-up before the music really comes thundering back in (the drumming is terrific on this song). And then the whole thing also working as an extended double entendre... it's really tremendous.

And of course live it's even better. Have you seen them Angela? :)

How great is When You Come, by the way. Definitely my favourite Crowded House song. Fantastic, fantastical lyricism from Neil Finn, taking a topic that's been done to death (I love my girl) and bringing it to life with some really colourful imagery. The last 90 or so seconds, with the build-up before the music really comes thundering back in (the drumming is terrific on this song). And then the whole thing also working as an extended double entendre... it's really tremendous.

And of course live it's even better. Have you seen them Angela? :)

That is a great song, yeah :). You hit on why I like his lyrical style-such vivid imagery, and I like how the lyrics don't go in a predictable fashion. They twist and turn and go to unexpected places.

"Into Temptation" is probably my favorite Crowded House song. I love the music in it, and the heartbreak of the story is interesting, too.

I have seen them live, yeah! Back in Denver in 2007, after they reunited. It was an AWESOME concert. The crowd was so enthusiastic throughout, I was clearly among some die-hard fans (in many of the places I've lived, I'm lucky if anyone even knows who Neil Finn/Crowded House are, let alone likes any of their music), and the band was clearly feeding off that enthusiasm and were having a ball. Almost like they didn't want to leave by the end of the night. I had a lot of fun. How about you, have you seen them at all?

Also, Neil's son Liam was one of the opening acts (alongside Fountains of Wayne), and he charmed the crowd pretty quickly as well :D.

How great is When You Come, by the way. Definitely my favourite Crowded House song.

Yep, absolutely agree, top five for me as well. What's kind of frustrating is how two of my top five Crowded House songs, I Feel Possessed and When You Come, are on an album as patchy and inconsistent (even incoherent) as Temple of Low Men.

The other three in my top five - and, in fact, comprising the top three - are Kare Kare, Anyone Can Tell, and my undisputed #1, Recurring Dream.

That is a great song, yeah :). You hit on why I like his lyrical style-such vivid imagery, and I like how the lyrics don't go in a predictable fashion. They twist and turn and go to unexpected places.

"Into Temptation" is probably my favorite Crowded House song. I love the music in it, and the heartbreak of the story is interesting, too.

I have seen them live, yeah! Back in Denver in 2007, after they reunited. It was an AWESOME concert. The crowd was so enthusiastic throughout, I was clearly among some die-hard fans (in many of the places I've lived, I'm lucky if anyone even knows who Neil Finn/Crowded House are, let alone likes any of their music), and the band was clearly feeding off that enthusiasm and were having a ball. Almost like they didn't want to leave by the end of the night. I had a lot of fun. How about you, have you seen them at all?

Also, Neil's son Liam was one of the opening acts (alongside Fountains of Wayne), and he charmed the crowd pretty quickly as well :D.

Oh awesome! That was the first and only time I've seen them too, although I think my gig was in 06. I've had opportunities since then but it's always been between $80 and $100 which is annoying. But it's been a long time so might go the next time they tour. They are a lot of fun live. LMP called them "aural ambien" once I think but I can't see how you wouldn't be blown away by their live show.

If you count all the times I've seen Neil or Liam Finn the number would be a lot higher. Liam is outrageously fun live and makes pretty good indie pop records. Fountains of Wayne is an interesting choice though :huh:

Yep, absolutely agree, top five for me as well. What's kind of frustrating is how two of my top five Crowded House songs, I Feel Possessed and When You Come, are on an album as patchy and inconsistent (even incoherent) as Temple of Low Men.

The other three in my top five - and, in fact, comprising the top three - are Kare Kare, Anyone Can Tell, and my undisputed #1, Recurring Dream.

Do you agree with my take on the lyrics? You should jump on @music_brownlow on twitter, that's why I've been on a Crowdies kick today. They're doing a different artist each day, 3-2-1 voting. When You Come led early today but has been overtaken by guess-which-three-songs. (I mean, they're all great songs. Well, you'll only agree with two.)

Oh awesome! That was the first and only time I've seen them too, although I think my gig was in 06.

November 2007. This show: Crowded House Concert Setlist at Rod Laver Arena, Melbourne on November 8, 2007 | setlist.fm

I'm still regretting not going to the show the next night as well. But then I made up for it by going to two in 2008 and four in 2010. I just wish they'd tour again. Neil's ridiculous fun live but there's something about the chemistry of the Crowdies on stage.

Do you agree with my take on the lyrics? You should jump on @music_brownlow on twitter, that's why I've been on a Crowdies kick today. They're doing a different artist each day, 3-2-1 voting. When You Come led early today but has been overtaken by guess-which-three-songs. (I mean, they're all great songs. Well, you'll only agree with two.)

Oh yeah I don't think there's much debate about the lyrics, they're not exactly subtle. And actually I can't quite guess which three songs, or more to the point I'm not sure what would be third after Don't Dream It's Over and Better Be Home Soon. There are a whole bunch of obvious candidates: Weather With You, Mean to Me, Private Universe, Four Seasons in One Day, Fall at Your Feet, Distant Sun, and It's Only Natural.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom