Random Music Talk XXXVII: Powerhour cares more about Spotify than you do

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Couldn't name more than a couple of ELO tracks, unfortunately.

That's all you need; you haven't missed a thing.

On a totally different gear, I'm listening to Music From Big Pink and am regretting that I still haven't watched The Last Waltz. I have no idea why I haven't. It's hard to find, I guess. Or, at least it was before the local library picked it up. I love the Band and Scorsese and see no reason why I shouldn't be watching it instead of posting here right now, so maybe I'll go find it in the morning. Or evening, depending on when I wake up at this point.

Watch it immediately. It's terrific.

How good is Shine A Light, for those of you who have seen it?

We saw it in IMAX and enjoyed it. The soundtrack is startlingly uninspired, however. The music works during the film, as you watch it, but doesn't work on its own.

Last Waltz works anyway you watch/listen. It's really good multiple times and ways.

On a totally different gear, I'm listening to Music From Big Pink and am regretting that I still haven't watched The Last Waltz. I have no idea why I haven't. It's hard to find, I guess. Or, at least it was before the local library picked it up. I love the Band and Scorsese and see no reason why I shouldn't be watching it instead of posting here right now, so maybe I'll go find it in the morning. Or evening, depending on when I wake up at this point.

AMAZING movie. Just saw it for the umpteenth time the other night.

Van Morrison sweating it up in a purple unitard is only one of the highlights.

I love the idea that you're Pseudocock-level disgusted with the most innocuous thread on the front page.

That's putting it rather strongly.

I'm showing up to Minneapolis in full Juggalo regalia.

Insane Cori Posse

lazarus said:
That's putting it rather strongly.

Probably. I guess I'm just defensive since four people listing LPs they found is much more riveting than eight pages of discussion about an out-of-touch dinosaur band on a dinosaur talk show playing an acoustic version of a song that sucked ten years ago and sucks even more now.

Not that you'll disagree with me on that last point, of course.

BoMac said:
Also, if you're going to drive, why not take the train? Sure it's a 23 hour ride, but you can rest up during the trip and it's $185 one way, a relatively decent fare.

considered that, but with all out stuff, getting around will be easier. Also locking stuff up during the show

If I end up going I definitely want to do a big meet up though

If you do it, we should somehow (along with Corialicia, Spotifyhour24 and others) consider meeting up.

If I end up going I definitely want to do a big meet up though

:up:

We'll have to exchange numbers or something. Once I get there, I'm there. I don't have anywhere else to be! ;)

Will hopefully get to explore the area a bit more as I drive back on Sunday. I don't want to go anywhere on Saturday and risk getting stuck in concert traffic as I try to get back.

Friggin' Moncton.

Really. Keep the Friggin Moncton talk in the Friggin Moncton thread. :grumpy:

Unless they decide to webcast it. Then it would be acceptable to talk about it here.

Not that I am jealous or give a shit or anything. Just sayin.

This Murdoch inquiry is awesome.

Jiminy Christmas, Rupert just got a pie in the face! :lol:

t1main.r.murdoch2.bttv.jpg

If you do it, we should somehow (along with Corialicia, Spotifyhour24 and others) consider meeting up.

Also, if you're going to drive, why not take the train? Sure it's a 23 hour ride, but you can rest up during the trip and it's $185 one way, a relatively decent fare.

I'm in.

Jiminy Christmas, Rupert just got a pie in the face! :lol:

t1main.r.murdoch2.bttv.jpg

Brilliant! I actually met that asshole and had to shake his hand years ago when News America bought the place I was working. I just wish the pie had been dog shit.

Great to see some love for the Stones here rather than the insipid parade of jokes about them over in EYKIW. Beggars Banquet and Sticky Fingers are two of the best albums ever.

Great to see some love for the Stones here rather than the insipid parade of jokes about them over in EYKIW. Beggars Banquet and Sticky Fingers are two of the best albums ever.

Agreed, and in my opinion, I think the four album stretch starting with Beggars Banquet and ending with Exile on Main St. is one of the greatest creative periods for any band ever.

So what? Jagger is a greedy. capitalist pig and a sellout, and the band hasnt put out a legitimately great album since...I hesitate to even designate Some Girls as such. They're not above ridicule.

By comparison, I'd say that The Who's Endless Wire has more creativity and signs of greatness than any Stones release in the last 35 years.

My grandmother met Mick and Keef cause she happened to be backstage at Rice-Eccles when they arrived. Sad thing was, she had no idea who they were. She said they were very polite, though. I have her backstage pass from that gig.

/coolstorybro

lazarus said:
So what? Jagger is a greedy. capitalist pig and a sellout, and the band hasnt put out a legitimately great album since...I hesitate to even designate Some Girls as such. They're not above ridicule.

By comparison, I'd say that The Who's Endless Wire has more creativity and signs of greatness than any Stones release in the last 35 years.

I really do not understand how you reconcile your vitriol for "capitalist pigs" with your fandom for U2. U2 has been milking their legacy for at least ten years now.

Also, as much as I love Endless Wire, it is not in the same league as Some Girls or Tattoo You.

Need I list the times Jagg€r & Co. have let some corporation use one of their songs to sell some random product in exchange for cold, hard cash?

Whereas Shuttlecock worked WITH Apple to promote a revolutionary music-listening device and music downloading service. They also took no money. Big difference.

And if you can't see the creativity, however compromised, in No Net vs. the disposable dreck the Stones have been putting out since the late 70's, I don't know what to tell you.

Tattoo You, a collection of leftovers and outtakes for the most part, has some great tracks but is not anywhere near a masterpiece.

boner is old ya but not as old as the rolling stones lzoololololl they suck because they old

Let It Bleed and Sticky Fingers are better than most U2 albums.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom