Random Music Talk XXXVI: Not this time, Cobbler.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Urine Appreciator is a great nickname. Pretty sure Maya came up with it, although I'm hardly the one to confirm this.

In going to Pitchfork Fest this weekend, I've got a few sets of bands to pick between, and I haven't heard of any of them, save Woods.

Chrissy Murderbot (likely a Laz favorite) vs. Julianna Barwick
Woods vs. Sun Airway
Cold Cave vs. G-Side
Darkstar vs. The Fresh and Onlys

What say you, Cock Force? Who the fuck are these bands?

Private torrent trackers will never fail you either.

What are these? :hmm:

That's the best thing ever. Could have listened to it for ages.

Ahh I saw Geelong in your signature and I was curious as to where it was. I'm a bit of a geography nerd :reject:

Melbourne seems like a very cool city from everything I've seen and heard about it. That's nice you are close to a major city for concerts and such :up:

:lol: I made that sig so long ago I forget it's there! I follow Geelong in the AFL. We've had a very successful few years. I'm not confident at all we'll be the 2011 premiers, though....

It is very cool. Though I know very little about the city itself, as pretty much everything I need is in Werribee.

Alright, I probably will not be on the Internet again until after I see U2 for the first time tomorrow night. Allow me to break out a rare bit of sincerity for just a moment:

I'm not sure what kind of person posts tens of thousands of times on a U2 message board for over five years before even seeing the band live for the first time, but here we are. I had no idea what the hell I was getting into when I first signed up for this place back at the end of my freshman year of high school. I wasted incredible amounts of time and have probably posted too much personal information to ever get a job once I'm done school, whilst using up an unreasonably large percentage of my brain remembering inside jokes and other bullshit. But beyond all that, I still think it's been worth it thanks to the people I've come across doing it. And tomorrow, for the first time, I will get to experience what has brought all of you together here. For all the bemoaning and joking I have participated in regarding what the band has done for the past five years, let me just say emphatically that I am legitimately excited to see them live and will probably be downright giddy by the time Interpol leaves the stage tomorrow night to yield to U2. The band that made me fall in love with rock music, made me pick up the guitar for the first time, and has soundtracked many parts of life up to this point. At the end of the day, I love this band, and tomorrow night will undoubtedly reaffirm that forever.

You've all been a part of an incredibly long journey that has brought me to this point for me, so I just wanted to say thank you.

Someone sig this quick.

Have an awesome time, Peif Ericson!

Do you feel Peef's sentimental side should be held with kid gloves?

Hope you have a great show, Peefer Madness.

iYup, sorry I haven't sent you anything yet, I didn't realize you were coming this soon. I will in the next few days. You're just going to be in SLC?

Finally able to read Peef's spoiler and all I can say is that I really hope you have the greatest of times tonight, I'm very happy for you, and it's been great "knowing" you.

That made it sound like I think he's never coming back. Whoops.

I don't know if I'm just really tired or just so not with it lately (it took until Cobl pointed it out for me to figure out why all last week I had "Bigmouth Strikes Again" stuck in my head [His thread title for the last random thread]), but when I saw the last poster was elevated_u2_fan, I was like, "Who the fuck is that?"

I'm just all over Amazon MP3 store today, I guess, but just thought I'd let you all know that Stone Rollin' is $3.99 on Amazon. No idea if it's been that way for awhile and I'm slow to the news or not.

Alright, I probably will not be on the Internet again until after I see U2 for the first time tomorrow night. Allow me to break out a rare bit of sincerity for just a moment:

I'm not sure what kind of person posts tens of thousands of times on a U2 message board for over five years before even seeing the band live for the first time, but here we are. I had no idea what the hell I was getting into when I first signed up for this place back at the end of my freshman year of high school. I wasted incredible amounts of time and have probably posted too much personal information to ever get a job once I'm done school, whilst using up an unreasonably large percentage of my brain remembering inside jokes and other bullshit. But beyond all that, I still think it's been worth it thanks to the people I've come across doing it. And tomorrow, for the first time, I will get to experience what has brought all of you together here. For all the bemoaning and joking I have participated in regarding what the band has done for the past five years, let me just say emphatically that I am legitimately excited to see them live and will probably be downright giddy by the time Interpol leaves the stage tomorrow night to yield to U2. The band that made me fall in love with rock music, made me pick up the guitar for the first time, and has soundtracked many parts of life up to this point. At the end of the day, I love this band, and tomorrow night will undoubtedly reaffirm that forever.

You've all been a part of an incredibly long journey that has brought me to this point for me, so I just wanted to say thank you.

:love:

Isn't it the exact same process, it just downloads from a slightly different link?

In going to Pitchfork Fest this weekend, I've got a few sets of bands to pick between, and I haven't heard of any of them, save Woods.

Chrissy Murderbot (likely a Laz favorite) vs. Julianna Barwick
Woods vs. Sun Airway
Cold Cave vs. G-Side
Darkstar vs. The Fresh and Onlys

What say you, Cock Force? Who the fuck are these bands?

I don't like all of these acts, but go with Julianna Barwick, Woods, Cold Cave, and The Fresh & Onlys. Especially The Fresh & Onlys.

Isn't it the exact same process, it just downloads from a slightly different link?

It doesn't seem to work right for me. I used to check the free mp3s daily, but then the download would never show up anywhere. I emailed them and got a lengthy explanation of what to do. Anything over 10 steps is too much, especially when it was SO easy before. Their lust for my cloud subscription cost them my mp3 business.

awesome. grohl is the man. i've seen a couple of the guys from dkm jump into the crowd to try to physically throw douchebags to security to throw them out.

This isn't as cool as when I saw Ian MacKaye kick some guy out of a Fugazi show in Albuquerque back in '95.

/shouter

Ok, iyup, here're my suggestions:

Vegas is a hole; get out for a day or two. Go down to Nelson to take the mine tour: Colorado River Tours, then go over to Boulder City to see the dam Bureau of Reclamation: Lower Colorado Region - Hoover Dam: Visitor Center/Tour Information and the new bridge Hoover Dam Bypass (which I've not seen yet, dammit).

Then, and it's a big then, after you drive across Nevada on the 15, which will seem long, but it's really only a couple of hours, turn right after St. George, and drive another hour or so to get to Zion National Park Zion National Park (U.S. National Park Service). Stay in Springdale if you need to, but the park can be done in one day. It gets a little crowded during the summer, and a little warm, but it's breathtaking in any season.

Then head east out of the park on Utah 9 and north along US 89 to Utah 12 to Bryce Canyon National Park Bryce Canyon National Park (U.S. National Park Service). It's pretty freakin' stunning. Stay in Panguitch and have a sanguitch afterwards.

If all this has you rolling your eyes, and I'm used to that, stay on the 15 and take a small detour to Cedar Breaks National Monument Cedar Breaks National Monument (U.S. National Park Service). That's just a day out or your schedule.

Or, just head north on the 15 to Ogden to Hill AFB and stop at their Museum. It's pretty cool. Hill Air Force Base - Hill Aerospace Museum

One of my favorite places in Utah is the Golden Spike National Historic Site Golden Spike National Historic Site (U.S. National Park Service). It's in the middle of nowhere, but the roads are all paved, just watch for sings to guide you there. It takes a while, but the road going west (north) of there leads past some rocket company's display of giant rockets. I can't think of the name of the company.

I could go on and have you in Utah for at least a month. It's one of my favorite states. :)

It doesn't seem to work right for me. I used to check the free mp3s daily, but then the download would never show up anywhere. I emailed them and got a lengthy explanation of what to do. Anything over 10 steps is too much, especially when it was SO easy before. Their lust for my cloud subscription cost them my mp3 business.

Yeah, you just need to go to your cloud link and download it from there. It's actually a really nice feature, since if you ever need to download it again for whatever reason, you don't need to pay for it again (which I've had to do on iTunes....).

Once you're at the Cloud link, the downloads work exactly the same as they used to. It's honestly just one very brief step extra.

Anyone here use Spotify? What's their catalog like? I had a Napster account for a year for free, and I never thought their library of songs was all that phenomenal if you're into indie music and the like. Being forced to use a Blackberry for work, so I don't have a compatible smart phone, which seems like a huge plus of the service. Not sure if it's even worth trying for a month if I'm only able to use it on my computer.

Thanks, Martha, for the suggestions. They all look great; I will try to see as many as I can.

Mofo, I will only be in Salt Lake, I believe. We may venture slightly outside of the city, though.

Anyone here use Spotify? What's their catalog like? I had a Napster account for a year for free, and I never thought their library of songs was all that phenomenal if you're into indie music and the like. Being forced to use a Blackberry for work, so I don't have a compatible smart phone, which seems like a huge plus of the service. Not sure if it's even worth trying for a month if I'm only able to use it on my computer.

Apparently you have to pay to use the smartphone apps? Yeah, sort of a deal breaker for me. I'm still waiting for an invite.

A whopping $5 a month. Any sort of streaming site SHOULD cost money, as they're not using advertising or anything else to make money. I don't know how someone could think this type of thing should be free, how cheap and ok with illegal activities have people become?

A whopping $5 a month. Any sort of streaming site SHOULD cost money, as they're not using advertising. I don't know how someone could think this type of thing should be free, how cheap and ok with illegal activities have people become?

I'd pay for a streaming service if I liked it, but there's apparently no way to try it out on a smart phone without paying. I'll give the desktop trial a whirl, but honestly I don't listen to music while sitting at my computer that often.

I just got a Spotify invite by searching for "Spotify invite" on Twitter and hitting refresh. People are posting invites randomly. You have to be fast because the codes get used up quickly.

I'll try it out and report back, but I have to do some actual work now. :angry:

Well, the actual site is kind of in the middle of nowhere.

Haha. True, but most historical sites, national, & state parks here are too so it sorta seems normal. Regardless, funny to hear. Hill Air Force Base is relatively close to where I grew up as well.

I like Zion, but not as much as most out-of-staters seem to. Particularly if you're spending less than a week there, as it's so big, and most of the coolest things take a decent amount of time to (The Narrows, Angel's Landing, etc). If you're limited on time, I think Bryce and Goblin Valley make better impressions right off the bat.

iYup, I was going to PM you, but I'll put it here so UiU, Reggo, or anyone else can yay or nay my recommendations. Sorta weird to make recommendations when you've lived somewhere for a while, as I've likely grown jaded to things others not from here would think is cool. As Reggo said, Temple Square downtown is pretty cool. I like the Church History and Art Museum across the street, they have some interesting things there. Historic Sites

Downtown wise, The Gateway is a cool outdoor shopping area with places to eat, and a decent Planetarium as well. It's right across the street from Energy Solutions (where the Jazz play). There are some cool renovated early Utah settler type houses close to downtown, which may be cool. I haven't been to them since I was a kid, so I'm honestly not sure. There's a surprisingly decent zoo, etc.

Slowtrain Records is awesome, and my favorite little indie store in the state, if you have any time for that. It's just a few blocks away from a theater that only shows independent films as well. http://www.slowtrainmusic.com/home. If you're driving and looking for a radio station, listen to 90.9. :wink:

I have no clue what kind of food you like, but I highly recommend the Red Iquana for Mexican, and Pat's BBQ for... uh, bbq. Both seem very popular with locals and visitors a like. If you want more recommendations on places to eat, let me know what kind of food you're looking for.

If you have any time, Park City is awesome and beautiful in the summer. It's where the Sundance Film Festival is held, and where the US Ski Team is based and does a lot of training, where a number of 2002 Winter Olympic events were held, etc. Park City Ski Resort is quite fun in the summer, as they have some really cool slides and rides set up (you essentially take the ski lift up the mountain, and ride down a huge slide with all sorts of twists and turns on a wheeled sled down to the bottom of the mountain. It's honestly a blast if you're a kid or an adult, they have a bunch of different slides to choose from. Even one that's similar to a roller coaster now). Alpine Slide | Park City Mountain Resort The downtown area is really cool, and has some nice places to eat. There are some nice outlet shopping places as well. You could easily spend a day here and have a blast.

About 30 miles south of SLC is the world's largest open pit copper mine. It's actually a National Historic Landmark site. Pictures don't really do it any justice, it's pretty impressive to see in person. Kennecott Copper Mine | Utah.com

My recommendations may all suck, so I apologize if you go to anything and absolutely hate it. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom