Random Music Talk XXXVI: Not this time, Cobbler.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
you-got-served-movie-poster-2004-1020197845.jpg

Maybe you shouldn't be so snarky, Elfa. And maybe BNL has two Billboard Awards to your zero.

i could go into LM's long-winded, sentimental thread and babble on about bnl for quite some time. i think i used to do that sort of thing. i also think i used to get laughed at quite a bit, although that might have been in real life rather than on the internet. i can't remember. it's been a while, so i just naturally assume that anyone would be laughing at me for liking the band. nickelback suck donkey balls, yet they've sold more albums. and are canadian. or something. whatever. since when is that an indicator of anything, especially amongst hipster elitists here? oh wait...the sarcasm, i get it now. or i don't, but i don't think i actually care. i'd hate to say that i liked the band, since the past tense just gives you fuckers yet another opening to tell me i don't like anything anymore. and gordon through that one with the crappy cover with the band and a flag on it is still a bunch of awesome tunes. but since they're still around in a steven page-less state, it kind of has to be past tense. can't really accept "the old apartment," amongst other songs, with robertson or hearn singing. ugh.

You are clearly in a bad space today, and the Barenaked Ladies are triple platinum. Are you?

are you telling me i'm in a bad mood today (which isn't entirely true in the sense that i'm not in any worse a mood at the moment than my normal, baseline state. also, i've made 2 posts on here today, and hardly see how they'd rank as my crankier moments), or is this a reference to something to do with black holes or a song lyric that just went completely over my head right now? either way, i don't really get it.

i searched for the last bnl thread i started, which apparently had a whopping 9 pages (no sarcasm, that's easily the longest-running thread i have ever started at this place unless you count a randoooooom one waaaaaaaay back when. but i wouldn't.) and was last posted in 2 years ago.

damn, time flies. flys. moves by quickly. i need more sleep.

Re: illegal downloading, just type "site:mediafire.com:" into google and type the album you want after that. 95% of the time you'll find it, and if you don't, just use filestube.com, which draws from a bunch of different sites and often picks up mediafire links that a direct mediafire search won't catch. It's easier to just go the google route though because it limits ads via direct links.

So a little more on this subject...

As we know from our good friend Mr. McGuiness, US ISPs are about to start cracking down on file sharing. The gist of the articles I have read is that the copyright holders will monitor P2P activity through packet sniffing and report the IP address of alleged infringers to the ISP, who will then issue a warning.

So are they also able to monitor traffic on Mediafire et al.? I'm sure they could subpoena Mediafire for the uploaders IP address, but would they be able to "see" who is downloading? It seems to me that as far music sharing goes these days, these upload sites are utilized more that P2P networks/Bittorrent.

*Disclaimer: I buy the albums that I listen to, all of them. I have downloaded a couple of albums that I bought on vinyl because vinyl ripping is a PITA.

When I buy an LP and it doesn't come with a download code, I feel absolutely no remorse for using a torrent to get the mp3s. Nor should I.

So a little more on this subject...

As we know from our good friend Mr. McGuiness, US ISPs are about to start cracking down on file sharing. The gist of the articles I have read is that the copyright holders will monitor P2P activity through packet sniffing and report the IP address of alleged infringers to the ISP, who will then issue a warning.

So are they also able to monitor traffic on Mediafire et al.? I'm sure they could subpoena Mediafire for the uploaders IP address, but would they be able to "see" who is downloading? It seems to me that as far music sharing goes these days, these upload sites are utilized more that P2P networks/Bittorrent.

*Disclaimer: I buy the albums that I listen to, all of them. I have downloaded a couple of albums that I bought on vinyl because vinyl ripping is a PITA.

Honestly, the music companies are the losers here, and they know it. There's a reason all you get from an ISP is a letter and you don't lose service. 1. ISPs want your money, obviously. 2. IP addresses are not absolute. You can clone them, spoof them, etc. Now, of course, most people are not bright enough to know this and take precautions.

My guess is that ISPs will be able to see traffic and the address of the zip file you're downloading, but not *exactly* what it is. If the file's already been removed by the time they get around to doing some background checking into what the file is, too bad, they've lost their chance.

My guess is that ISPs will be able to see traffic and the address of the zip file you're downloading, but not *exactly* what it is. If the file's already been removed by the time they get around to doing some background checking into what the file is, too bad, they've lost their chance.

The ISPs have specifically stated that they will not be monitoring data traffic. They are leaving it up to copyright holders to police infringing file sharing themselves. So with something like Mediafire, would a third party even be able to tell who is downloading what without subpoenaing the information from the site?

u2mofopop, don't read this. It's in your best interests not to.

What do you good folk use to download albums and leaks? I usually go to piratebay, but after that I just have to do random google searches for ages. And is downloading albums a surefire way to get viruses?

Ah you still read it, didn't you mofo. I told you not to.
Expect a musket to the face within 24 hours, Cobbler. I've already given him your address.

The ISPs have specifically stated that they will not be monitoring data traffic. They are leaving it up to copyright holders to police infringing file sharing themselves. So with something like Mediafire, would a third party even be able to tell who is downloading what without subpoenaing the information from the site?

Nope, not as far as I know. We do the same thing here at the university I used to attend/now work at (doing tech shit). Central OIT monitors traffic/packets and can see large amounts of data being transferred to the same IP address, so they then send out an email asking about the data usage. So, copyright holders would probably be doing the same thing, just instead of emailing the user, they'll let the ISP know, who will then notify the user of a complaint. It's just a scare tactic, especially with the RIAA stating they won't sue people for infringements anymore and haven't since 2008. If the RIAA had it their way, ISPs would cut off service after three strikes, but zero ISPs have agreed to this and Verizon has publicly denied cooperation with this plan.

i could go into LM's long-winded, sentimental thread and babble on about bnl for quite some time. i think i used to do that sort of thing. i also think i used to get laughed at quite a bit, although that might have been in real life rather than on the internet. i can't remember. it's been a while, so i just naturally assume that anyone would be laughing at me for liking the band. nickelback suck donkey balls, yet they've sold more albums. and are canadian. or something. whatever. since when is that an indicator of anything, especially amongst hipster elitists here? oh wait...the sarcasm, i get it now. or i don't, but i don't think i actually care. i'd hate to say that i liked the band, since the past tense just gives you fuckers yet another opening to tell me i don't like anything anymore. and gordon through that one with the crappy cover with the band and a flag on it is still a bunch of awesome tunes. but since they're still around in a steven page-less state, it kind of has to be past tense. can't really accept "the old apartment," amongst other songs, with robertson or hearn singing. ugh.

Don't sweat it, like what you like and such. No one is making fun, nor should they. We all post on a U2 fan forum, for heavens sake.

When I buy an LP and it doesn't come with a download code, I feel absolutely no remorse for using a torrent to get the mp3s. Nor should I.

I have no issues with this.

Do you get the feeling that she and Shouter would make an excellent couple?

lol

Not directed at you, as you're obviously joking. But this calls to mind the intense frustration at the you-just-hate-everything way of thinking which I encounter in real life, from time to time. So stupid. I love more art than anybody who ever says that shit has ever even heard of, but it's like arguing with a blind person about color. There's just no point, and it's surprisingly difficult to argue with most people about something factually (in)correct, depending on the situation, than about matters of opinion. Strange.

Of course, given the obscene amount of art that I've consumed, it's also undeniably true that I dislike frightening amounts of whatever I've heard/seen/read/etc.. No denying that.

lol

Not directed at you, as you're obviously joking. But this calls to mind the intense frustration at the you-just-hate-everything way of thinking which I encounter in real life, from time to time. So stupid. I love more art than anybody who ever says that shit has ever even heard of, but it's like arguing with a blind person about color. There's just no point, and it's surprisingly difficult to argue with most people about something factually (in)correct, depending on the situation, than about matters of opinion. Strange.

Of course, given the obscene amount of art that I've consumed, it's also undeniably true that I dislike frightening amounts of whatever I've heard/seen/read/etc.. No denying that.

It's true, I am only kidding....and while I've often sometimes poked fun at you in the past for "hating everything" it's pretty obvious that for everything you hate, there's at least one thing that you not only love, but are willing to share with us, solicited or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom