Random Music Talk XXXII: Celebrating Your Favorite Swooncore Album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It IS distinctive, though. You're already putting yourself in a hole by going with something like "The ______".

I was reading this thread and thinking that a bad band name never really stopped me from listening to their music....but, I was wrong.....Death Cab for Cutie is so overwhelmingly fucking stupid that it has completely stopped me from listening to even one note of their music. My loss, I'm sure, but there you have it. Horrid, horrid choice.

Elbow is also stupid as fuck, yeah, and yet we all know I adore them.

I have long been obsessed with coming up with stupid band names, but, I never really remember them except for "The Kick-Jack McGee Band".

Today, if forced to choose a band name, I'd go with Octosonic Twee Cadre.

News from the Oakland show (non-spoiler):

Boner tells audience he was in talks with Metallica and Green Day regarding a new music festival? Ugh.

Also, apparently Lou Reed was in the crowd so Harry Muffin sang some of Perfect Day?!

Death Cab is definitely the worst. I avoided them for nearly five years simply because I thought they were some emo band due to their name.

Pretty fucking sick of Taio Cruz and that dumb ass Dynamite song, I'm gonna be honest.

Oh lord, I must have heard that song at least a hundred times on the radio last year. The next time that you happen to be listening to popular radio, try to count the number of songs that mention having one's hands in the air. It must be over 75 percent.

Death Cab is definitely the worst. I avoided them for nearly five years simply because I thought they were some emo band due to their name.

"Plain White Ts" is fairly awful as well. Because Death Cab reminds me of The Decemberists, I want to say as well that the latter's name is one of my favorites.

Here's a band name story that I always found interesting. Back when The Who were The High Numbers, they were in a basement attempting to decide on a new name. There was some bloke there, irrevocably stoned, who kept saying "the who?" after every suggestion. That's apparently how the name was born.

I shouldn't have read back the last few pages, one of my biggest pet peeves is people complaining/arguing about one band name somehow being better or worse than another. I'm disappointed in all of you, and will likely be murdering everyone now.

Brand new U2 article in Rolling Stone:

Even as it embarked on the biggest tour ever, the band was trying to record a new album, and Bono and the Edge were also trying to save their troubled Spider-Man Broadway musical. "Our drug of choice in this band is doing really difficult things," says Bono. Longtime manager Paul McGuinness puts it more simply: "The expression is to bite off more than you can chew," he says. Bono acknowledges that a new U2 album probably got snagged in the web. "But we don't tell Larry and Adam that," he says with a laugh. "It's not like songwriting has stopped. We're crushing tunes every day."

It wasn't until early this year that the group abandoned the idea of getting an album out before the end of the tour, after working on separate sets of songs with Lady Gaga producer RedOne and Danger Mouse. "We had to have a meeting and look at the schedule to see if we could pick up any extra time to work on it," says Adam Clayton, "and we just realized that we couldn't. To be honest, everyone was a bit gutted. But it was the only sensible decision."

CRUSHING TUNES EVERY DAY.

When the tour ends, the three 150-foot-high stage sets that the band has been dragging around will survive: McGuinness has been negotiating to "recycle" them as permanent event spaces around the world. The band will return to the studio, with the expectation of releasing an album toward the end of next year, most likely from the Danger Mouse sessions. "We have to focus on what we do best, and the work we did with Danger Mouse came closest to that," says Clayton. "We want to be in the clubs and make pop music as well as the thing U2 does, but in the end, the thing we did with RedOne doesn't feel like the right fit."

U2 are looking forward to moving on. "It's making me giddy," says Bono, "the idea that this thing will be over in August. I will be sad to say goodbye to the space station, but I'm very excited about the free time to finish these songs." How about some rest? "I'm not tired at all," says Bono, taking a gulp of beer. "But I'm looking forward to, as Johnny Cash said, 'Walking barefoot in my yard.'"

Bono, drunk and barefoot. Yes. Pleba.

GirlsAloudFan said:
Fuckin' "crushing tunes every day," guys.

Probs my favorite Bono quote ever.

"We're lying assholes, but, we don't tell anyone. That's the nature of lies. #Crushing tunes" -Boner

Can someone help me out here? I just heard "Crosseyed and Painless" on the radio the other day, and while I'd heard it before, it's been a long time. Anyways, the chorus reminds me a LOT of a recent song, but I can't think of what it is. Like, I know what it is musically, but haven't a clue on a single lyric :doh:. If anyone could even hazard a guess, I'd appreciate it.

u2popmofo said:
I shouldn't have read back the last few pages, one of my biggest pet peeves is people complaining/arguing about one band name somehow being better or worse than another. I'm disappointed in all of you, and will likely be murdering everyone now.

I'll confess, I sort of feel the same way as you do about lyrics when it comes to band names. 95% of them are terrible, and with good names being taken once in a great while, I can only see them becoming rarer.

That said, Deathspell Omega and The Jack Nicholson Party always make me laugh, and we all need a laugh sometimes. Quality topic of discussion IMO.

And yet, they think it'll take tilt he end of NEXT year?

As has been speculated many times, I really do believe that they're at the point where they need their precious fourth quarter Christmas sales spot. The relative lack of success of the Spring-released NLOTH has scared them away from a release that isn't in October or November, basically.

CRUSHING TUNES.

November, 2012.

Back
Top Bottom