Random Music Talk XXXII: Celebrating Your Favorite Swooncore Album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Scumbo, if you're still around, your boys Mogwai are performing on Jimmy Fallon tonight. I'm bouts to watch it.

Mogwai rocked it. One of the guys had a 12 string electric that I wanted to steal from inside my TV.

Holy shit, I totally forgot how much fun "Hoedown Throwdown" is. God damn, haven't jammed out to this song in at least a year.

when I was less old and fat.

Was this supposed to be doubly self-deprecating? Because then it should read "less old and less fat". Otherwise, you're implying that you were fat when you were younger and you aren't anymore. Either way, it's confusing as to what you meant.

You're slipping, pal.

Someone needs to go back to grammar school.

lazarus said:
Was this supposed to be doubly self-deprecating? Because then it should read "less old and less fat". Otherwise, you're implying that you were fat when you were younger and you aren't anymore. Either way, it's confusing as to what you meant.

Someone needs to go back to grammar school.

Are you being intentionally pedantic? Cos I'm sure no one else was confused.

:sigh:

Also, was anyone else aware of this re: Pride (In The Name of Cock):

The song, the record's first single, would arguably become the most enduring off the album. Chrissie Hynde of The Pretenders happened to be in town at the time, Niall Stokes says in "U2 Into the Heart," and dropped into the studio to lend her voice to the backup vocals, though she would only be credited as Mrs. Christine Kerr (at the time Hynde was married to Jim Kerr of Simple Minds) in the liner notes.

Chrissie Hynde? That's awesome.

Only knew that because I've read U2 Into the Heart. That being said, at the time I read it, I didn't know who Chrissie Hynde was so only now is that clicking into place. Thanks for the reminder.

Not only is the music in Show Goes On similar to Float On, but the vocals in the chorus of both songs are a similar melody, too.

What's the best Modest Mouse album to start with, swooncore lovers?

One thing I try to stress about this project is, I love and hate this album. I listen to it and I’ll like some of the songs. But when I think about what it took to actually get the record together and everything that I went through on this record — which is something I can’t separate — I hate this album. A lot of the songs that are on the album, I’m kinda neutral to. Not that I don’t like them, or that I hate them, it’s just I know the process that went behind it. I know the sneaky business deal that went down behind this song, or the artist or singer or songwriter who wrote this hook and didn’t want to give me this song in the first place. So when I have that kind of knowledge behind it, I’m just kind of neutral to it like, ‘Another day, another dollar’. As opposed something like The Cool, which is more of my own blood, sweat, and tears, and my own control. With this record, I’m little bit more neutral as to the love for the record.

I don’t like the process behind Lasers. The music is dope but I just don’t like the process. We were literally at the point where all this music was done except for a couple songs that we did after the protest. So the bulk of the album was done. And we were talking about shelving the album and going to another label, that’s where we were like, ‘If you put the record out, put it out. Either move on to another album or can it and we’ll do other records at another label’. The business of it got solved. I’m happy for the fans, this is their album. This is the album that they fought for and that’s what made me do songs like ‘Words I Never Said’ and ‘All Black Everything’.

This is heartbreaking to read. I still haven't heard The Cool or Food & Liquor, but I have inadvertently and not by choice heard Lasers. But I remember Lemel and Cass were tremendously excited about the album, based on the strength of his previous work, and were let down by the end result. Really, really depressing to read that the suits have such an influence on an artist. And in hip hop in particular it seems. Sir Lucious Left Foot was meant to come out in 2007 originally.

Welcome my son, welcome to the machine :(

Not only is the music in Show Goes On similar to Float On, but the vocals in the chorus of both songs are a similar melody, too.

What's the best Modest Mouse album to start with, swooncore lovers?

Is that that hip hop song on the radio right now? Because, yeah, it's sad how much it cops off of it.

The Moon and Antarctica is pretty sweet.

Oh :doh:, I just looked, I didn't even realize that was Lupe. Though now that I think about it, I'm sure LeMel told me it was.

It's an OK song, but he is crediting Modest Mouse...right?

Well according to wiki: "He also has stated during his radio promo tours that he didn't notice the song sample during recording, but he is a fan of "Float On"."

I don't see how it's been "sampled" exactly, the music is very similar but if it's a sample it's been manipulated. But idk much about production.

Certainly the melody is very similar.

The melody itself is exactly the same except for like the very last note. I don't know how, if you're a "fan" of the song you wouldn't notice. That part is pretty much the whole damn song.

The song, the record's first single, would arguably become the most enduring off the album. Chrissie Hynde of The Pretenders happened to be in town at the time, Niall Stokes says in "U2 Into the Heart," and dropped into the studio to lend her voice to the backup vocals, though she would only be credited as Mrs. Christine Kerr (at the time Hynde was married to Jim Kerr of Simple Minds) in the liner notes.

So she couldn't be bothered to tell Boner that MLK wasn't shot in the early morning?

Danny Boy said:
So she couldn't be bothered to tell Boner that MLK wasn't shot in the early morning?

Bono was in such a weird place lyrically back then, I'm surprised MLK didn't die of a heroin overdose in Pride.

bono_212 said:
The melody itself is exactly the same except for like the very last note. I don't know how, if you're a "fan" of the song you wouldn't notice. That part is pretty much the whole damn song.

They kind of have the same premise, too.

LemonMelon said:
Bono was in such a weird place lyrically back then, I'm surprised MLK didn't die of a heroin overdose in Pride.

:lol:

The liner notes only say " Thanks to Mrs. Christine Kerr" and they're not much in the way of liner notes; really only credits.

The lead singer reminds me of the lead singer from Architecture in Helsinki, before they got a bit too mainstream.

I still haven't listened to Architecture's new album, sorta forgot it came out. :huh:

My copy of the Cults album had not arrived before I left for work as I had hoped.

I may go to the store later tonight and purchasify the new Black Lips and Battles albums. Mixed feelings on the Battles album, as I know I'll be disappointed in it to some extent with how much I loved the last one. Still feel like I should try to support them though. Has anyone heard the new Black Lips yet, aside from the video Shouter hates?

Back
Top Bottom