Random Music Talk XXXI: Rapture? I Hardly Met Her

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
195747_156616071067370_3200891_n.jpg

He's overdue.

Awesome news. I was going to say that Beck's presence doesn't increase my excitement, but my friend said he did a great job on the boards for the new Thurston Moore album.

This + Los Camp means fall is for me even more promising than this past spring was.*

* friggin' Shuttlecock.

I usually don't have issues at outdoor shows, either. Although BEP in Vegas, my ears actually hurt. Thank goodness someone had a spare pair of ear plugs. I think it was mostly the bass, which had my whole body rumbling.

Remember when Snow Patrol was opening for U2? That honestly was not much of an improvement from The Fray.

I actually really enjoyed Snow Patrol.

Which is funny, because I totally see how you could make a comparison between the Fray and Snow Patrol.

But at least Snow Patrol has a) songs I actually quite like; and b) a lead singer who doesn't want to make me punch him in the throat to stop his annoying voice.

Which is funny, because I totally see how you could make a comparison between the Fray and Snow Patrol.

But at least Snow Patrol has a) songs I actually quite like; and b) a lead singer who doesn't want to make me punch him in the throat to stop his annoying voice.

Agree. Snow Patrol are way cooler than The Fray.

They're from Ireland and not Denver, which automatically makes them cooler.

I had no idea the Fray was from Denver until I watched a little news clip from a local Denver station, and they were all "hometown boys The Fray..." and I was all "fascinating."

Yeah, Snow Patrol was alright in my book. Then again, I don't have anywhere near the animosity for The Fray that some seem to have. At the show I saw, the lead singer of Snow Patrol was really trying to win over the crowd with his Bears t-shirt. He pointed directly at the logo several times.

They're from Ireland and not Denver, which automatically makes them cooler.

I had no idea the Fray was from Denver until I watched a little news clip from a local Denver station, and they were all "hometown boys The Fray..." and I was all "fascinating."

And yet...I wasn't really picking up on any special love between Denver and The Fray. I don't think The Fray even said anything about how great it was to be opening for U2 in their home city. But maybe I missed that part while texting throughout their set to stay awake.

Yeah, Snow Patrol was alright in my book. Then again, I don't have anywhere near the animosity for The Fray that some seem to have. At the show I saw, the lead singer of Snow Patrol was really trying to win over the crowd with his Bears t-shirt. He pointed directly at the logo several times.

Were you at the Chicago shows in 2009?

I didn't mind Snow Patrol.

I was so happy to be there, I even actually liked Chasing Cars for the first time since I'd decided I was sick of hearing it.

:lol:

I don't know how to play Euchre. I was hanging out with some friends in the line for a while the first day, but I was in the seats with Diemen, mofo and NSW.

Second day I had GA, but we went later, and joyfulgirl and I hung at the back. It was awesome.

Just a really great trip altogether - I met up with a college friend, met some online friends I'd known for years but had never met, got to see my brother and his wife and meet my first nephew at the aquarium, hung out with great people and saw U2 twice. And I loved the hotel I stayed at.

Just a fantastic vacation, despite my aching feet and blisters from all the running around I did! :up:

I'm not sure if this collab signals a change in sound for Malkmus or Beck. Modern Guilt/Charlotte Gainsbourg era Beck seems like a terrible fit for Malkmus, and Beck is known to color the albums he produces pretty significantly. I'm very, very curious about this.

I'm not sure if you read the actual Matador blog post, but it seems like more than just he usual record company PR bullshit. One doesnt throw the Album Of The Year suggestion around lightly

I'm very intrigued as well, though Real Emotional Trash was my #2 for 2008 and IMO the best thing he's done post-Pavement. Also, while it's sad to see that Janet Weias is leaving, at least she played on the new album.

I've tried to semi-avoid spoilers, but haven't done a good job of it, as I sorta know of what songs I should be excited about. That said, it hasn't sunk in until just now that I will likely see and hear Zooropa live. Zooropa was the first U2 album I actually purchased (the week it came out, I believe), and the title track has been a favorite of mine since. To hear it live and in person is sort of going to be a big deal for me.

I've tried to semi-avoid spoilers, but haven't done a good job of it, as I sorta know of what songs I should be excited about. That said, it hasn't sunk in until just now that I will likely see and hear Zooropa live. Zooropa was the first U2 album I actually purchased (the week it came out, I believe), and the title track has been a favorite of mine since. To hear it live and in person is sort of going to be a big deal for me.

What! They're playing Zooropa live now! Spoiler that shit! :wink:

j/k probably the song I am looking most forward to tonight. (besides acoustic Stay for Laz)

I absolutely love Stay, and have loved the acoustic version since the first time I watched the Zooropa in Sydney VHS. I'm apparently one of the few here who likes most all of U2's acoustic live versions of songs.

I absolutely love Stay, and have loved the acoustic version since the first time I watched the Zooropa in Sydney VHS. I'm apparently one of the few here who likes most all of U2's acoustic live versions of songs.

I'm with you here. I think that Stay and Staring at the Sun both work great as acoustic pieces. You can throw Stuck in a Moment in there as well. The melody is really what carries Stay anyway. It's not as though there is anything particularly interesting going on with the instrumentation on the studio version.

joyfulgirl said:
And yet...I wasn't really picking up on any special love between Denver and The Fray. I don't think The Fray even said anything about how great it was to be opening for U2 in their home city. But maybe I missed that part while texting throughout their set to stay awake.

Drinking at the fancy bar was a nice way to miss them completely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom