Random Music Talk XXXI: Rapture? I Hardly Met Her

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My iPod has given me a red ring of death. I didn't know iPods could do red rings of death.

RROD.jpg

Completely random topic, though if you'd like to know the tangent that led to it you can click the spoiler:

Today I heard "Our Lips Are Sealed" on the radio, and for whatever reason (maybe the fact it was The Gogos?) it reminded me that in 2001, right when I was really getting into music as an individual (rather than listening to what my parents did), The Gogos had a new album out. From that album was a song, "Unforgiven" (which I just learned today, incidentally, Billie Joe Armstrong wrote). That song, actually was pretty ok and I liked it a lot. So, I watched the video.

That led me to a Rod Stewart video that also came out during that time, "I Can't Deny It". Which is one of the worst music video/song combinations of our time. But, Travis pointed out how hilariously obvious it was that Rod Stewart was trying to cop off of U2's recent come back success with the Beautiful Day video. Stewart, going so far as to have a beanied guitar player, the video taking place on a train and himself wearing sunglasses. Travis then also pointed out the fact that Bono doesn't actually wear sunglasses very much in the video for Beautiful Day, which reminded me after all of these years:

When I originally saw the video for Beautiful Day, and right into those first few weeks/months that I was getting into U2...I didn't know who that guy running around the airport being a jackass was. Because, apparently I was unaware of the magic of filmmaking, it didn't occur to me in the scene where he's sitting next to the band that he very possibly could have been green screened in, so I assumed he couldn't possibly be Bono. And, up until that point, I hadn't actually seen Bono without his sunglasses. I actually pretty vividly remember a point coming at which I finally said to myself, "Holy shit, that's Bono."

So there you go /random anecdote.

I had Adam and Larry mixed up for years.

New Beastie Boys album is pretty hot. Four or five great tracks. I must get onto Paul's Boutique and Licensed to Ill though.

It's very good, but as the P-Fork review accurately observed, the gulf between this and Paul's Boutique/Check Your Head/Ill Communication is still pretty large.

It's better than the last two, FWIW. But I'm enjoying it a lot.

Laz, what do you make of the new Man Man? Daddy like.

Thanks for reminding me. I tried "getting" it the day it came out, but couldn't "find" it.

Laz, I thought you had been with me on that opinion at one point, about Spiderman not being that big of a factor in a delayed album?

I think it WAS a factor, but not the one thing to point at for blame. I'd blame their cold feet or general wishy-washiness before I blamed the musical.

Well I'd argue that the band had some good momentum for a while. The reviews of the album were mostly positive (and I'd argue more enthusiastic than the ones for Bomb), and the tour was doing great biz. Sure, Unknown Racquet wasn't working well as a sing-a-long, and for some reason they second-guessed Swing as an opener. But I don't think they believed they were in trouble or in need of a course-correction at that point.

I think it's a good assumption to make that had Boner not injured his back, they wouldn't have pulled the plug on that stuff. And because of that delay, Spider-FAIL wound up conflicting with the time that they were working on/sorting through this material.

And again, how do shitty reviews of your songwriting NOT affect you if you're already sensitive/panicky artists?

It should also be noted that the band stopped playing all their new songs around the same time the negative hype on the musical was at its loudest.

scumbo gets all the girls.

It's very good, but as the P-Fork review accurately observed, the gulf between this and Paul's Boutique/Check Your Head/Ill Communication is still pretty large.

It's better than the last two, FWIW. But I'm enjoying it a lot.

yeah I haven't heard any of those, so I can't comment, but I figured that would be the case. I think though that it's a pretty damn good effort for an old school hip hop act to release an album these days and have it do well critically (not sure how it's going commercially), a lot of them release albums that are just ok.

I took a big bite out of a very undercooked turkey burger earlier this evening, so hopefully I don't get salmonella poisoning tomorrow and have to call off the show. I can never gauge how long poultry needs to be cooked.

Random music:

I forgot how many great songs are on The Divine Comedy's album, Absent Friends.

UNKLE's Celestial Annihilation is one of my favorite electronic songs evar.

Can you hold off on vomiting until The Fray is on stage?

That would be a great way to make a profound statement.

cobl04 said:
they're on DFA aren't they? apparently the Holy Ghost! album is really good. it's on my (now becoming excruciatingly long) list.

It's just okay.

Also, did you guys know Boner dedicated
Until The End Of The Match
to the head of that Rapture Church during the Denver show?

That's pretty funny.

Haaaaaaaaaaaaa. Nice.

I've kind of decided to say screw it, and unhid all my U2 friends from Facebook. I saw something cool in a video from Denver:

instead of having Amazing Grace as the intro to Streets, Bono sang and played on guitar a verse and chorus of The Shirelles' "Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow." It was lovely.

That sounds damn cool.

Also from Denver:
Since when has Boner been blowing a harp solo at the end of All I Want Is Cock? Did I miss something?

Dude needs to STFU during the guitar solo though.

I'm on it, showing Pat Garrett & Billy The Kid at my weekly movie night tomorrow. Dylan has a small role in the film and wrote that little ditty Knockin' on Heaven's Door specifically for the film.

I had Adam and Larry mixed up for years.
I had Adam and Edge mixed up until I joined interference.

Good. Have a blast!

Damn. Because just between us, he's quite a bit of fun. :)
I shall. The Idiot is still trying to make nice. I may have to punch him.

I was looking forward to meeting him and NSW, but alas.

Can you hold off on vomiting until The Fray is on stage?

That would be a great way to make a profound statement.
Well, if he's up in the douchebag seats, it's unlikely The Fray will see his profound statement. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom