Random Music Talk XXX: Bow Chicka Wow Wow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I really wanna do a GA alone once so that I can go early and get right up near a stage. I always go with people who have no interest in going early to get a good look.

I've been to three shows, lined up early for two of them. The second time was Cleveland on the Vertigo tour, in December. We got in line at 4 AM. 5 minutes before we were supposed to go in, my mom passed out from the cold, and we were going to end up really far back, but the venue was very kind and upgraded our tickets to pretty great seats. I was a little miserable though, because I could see the group of people we were standing in line with, right up on the stage, and Bono hung out over there a bit, and it would've been pretty fun.

In Dallas/Arlington, I was right up on the ellipse, had a great time, but as I've mentioned before, I was really put off by how Bono was acting. Like, just because he was in Texas, of course no one there gave a shit about U2, so he didn't need to be interactive in the slightest. Though I think he did pull a kid up on the stage at one point. I don't know, it's hard to explain the general vibe I got.

I've been to three shows, lined up early for two of them. The second time was Cleveland on the Vertigo tour, in December. We got in line at 4 AM. 5 minutes before we were supposed to go in, my mom passed out from the cold, and we were going to end up really far back, but the venue was very kind and upgraded our tickets to pretty great seats. I was a little miserable though, because I could see the group of people we were standing in line with, right up on the stage, and Bono hung out over there a bit, and it would've been pretty fun.

That's the legendary Cleveland hospitality. I was at that very same show - right up on the ellipse, actually. Bono grabbed my sister's hand during one of the encores.

Goddamnit. There's an album I want to download and every so often, I'll remember, "Oh, yeah, I want to get that." But when I actually sit down at my freaking computer to do it, I can never remember what it is. And then two words creep into my brain: "Alzheimer's Disease."

There are these things called "pieces of paper" and other things called "pencils" and you can use the latter to write a list on the former. Works great for me.

Told the bf I was fine going by myself, besides, I'd probably run into Scumbo anyway and he got all jealous and is now insisting he's coming with me. Dave has no reason whatsoever to be jealous of him, which makes it that much more hilarious. So, thanks, Scumbo, for, uh, existing, I guess. :lol:

Underestimate Mofo's charm at your peril, my dear.

I'm with Ashley on the height/seeing in GA thing. If I'm more than 2 heads back from the stage or the rail, I'd rather just be in the back, where there's more room to jump around, and actually easier to see because I'm not on my tiptoes to see over the head that's two inches from my face.

I'm planning on lining up for Seattle, just so I can experience one show from up close (I'm thinking outer rail rather than right up front, as it seems like I might be craning my neck up too much from there).

I really enjoyed being at the back for the 360 shows I've already seen - you get a really great show, seeing the full effect of the stage and light show.

There are a lot of people I know from the site who are coming to Seattle; I hope some of them are interested in lining up most of the day. I'm trying to talk joyful into joining me.

*Note. If it's cold and/or raining and the line is out in the open, I might just bag the whole thing, because I'm too old and cranky to sit in the cold and rain for 8 or more hours. And unlike the other 90% of the Pacific Northwest population, I do not own a tent or tarps for camping in the rain.

This time around I'm going to buy the cheapest tent possible and probably just toss it before we go in.

In Portland 2005, I went down to join the line early in the morning, and it was sleeting. I had a little chair and an umbrella, and I stayed about half an hour before saying "Fuck this" and giving up my spot.

When I went back later that night, I didn't want to have to hang onto my umbrella, so I dumped it by the entrance with all the GA detrius. It was still there when I came back out, so I picked it up and went on my merry way. :lol:

I probably could actually borrow a little tent or something from a friend. We'll see how it goes. Hopefully we'll get a proper warm-up in the next few weeks. This spring has sucked.

And last year? The day the show was supposed to have been? It was the coldest, darkest June day in like 50 years. It was ridiculous, and I was actually glad the show was delayed.

Friggin' Seattle.

Last year's show would have been on a Monday. It is now on a Thursday. I'm pretty indifferent to that change. Though I do think I ended up doing something of relative importance on the would-have-been date of the show.

Both of my shows are on Saturdays, which is pretty sweet.

I was worried last year that Minneapolis was so close to Glastonbury - I figured they'd be all wiped out, dashing from the US to play Glastonbury and right back to play another show. I think there was very little time in between all three shows.

I'm taking my folks to the show so they can see what I've been so wacky about for so many years; I didn't want them seeing a tired U2.

So I'm happy Minneapolis is nowhere near Glastonbury this year. :wink:

Though I do think I ended up doing something of relative importance on the would-have-been date of the show.

The Historian made history.

prostitute_1404310c.jpg

We got in line at 4 AM.

Are you insane?????

I lined up around 2, 3pm for my first GA show in Melbourne and ended up in the same spot as alisaura and bono_man_2002, who lined up at 9am, about 6 or 7 deep from front and centre. I can't imagine what entices people to line up MORE THAN 24 HOURS before the show starts.

Don't do seats, anyone, if you like fun. I did seats for the second Melbourne show, the cheap ones, and it completely ruined the show. People were sitting impassively drinking watered down midstrength beer during Streets, for fucks sake.

Raphael Saadiq's new album is fantastic.

You haven't done a GA line until you've waited from 6am-6pm in 95 degree heat to get into a stadium. With Varitek. In motherfucking Spain.

God that trip was awesome.

Didn't the Buenos Aires (or whatever the previous city was) fans start lining up, like, three days before the show started? THAT'S insane.

I don't think Seattle's a hardcore line-up city. I bet there might be a few people that do the "night before" thing, but I bet the line doesn't grow much until 7 or 8 the next morning, if that.

For the Vertigo shows in an arena, I did a last-minute decision to join the line, got there at 1:30 in the afternoon and was like 150 in line. Had a perfectly fine spot, two heads back from the outer rail. (But no one around me was interested in making friends or more than polite small talk with a fellow fan, so it was pretty boring.)

I'm kind of glad that it doesn't seem like THIS Chicago show's going to be too nuts. I'm still going to probably end up spending the 4th in Chicago though (not in the GA line obviously), and then going home on the night of the 5th.

Are you insane?????

We were like 40th or 60th in line lining up THAT early. I'm going to go see what number I was in Arlington, I didn't get there until about 6:30 and ended up on the rail of the ellipse, which is where I'll try for again in Chicago, because, yeah, being on the actual rail just won't work with how high this stage is. Alternately, I might try for the back rail of the pit.

quadcaster, an Australian poster, went to every Australasian show and lined up the night before to get the front centre spot on the outer rail for each show, and then complained profusely when they played IALW at each show. I know no one is completely satisfied with what they're playing, but if it annoys you that much why would you continue to line up so early for every show when you know what's coming?

I was #128 at the Dallas show. I was trying to find the picture in the thread of Zuropa_Fit and I's hands, but she didn't post it here. Instead, she posted a picture of my boldly wearing THIS jacket to Cowboy's Stadium:

IMG_1173.jpg

:lol: Did you get beat up?

That's a nice picture.

Zu! :love:

Haha, no. I've started wearing my Packers shirt to most gigs, especially in Dallas, because when I saw the STEEN at the American Airlines center, the security guards gave me a (joking) hassle the whole time, and Bruce's head of security was supposed to give me some kind of gift shop thing after the show as well because he was picking on me, but I couldn't find him afterwards because the venue security in general were really pushing us out of there as soon as the show ended.

Then in St. Louis, I wore the shirt to another Steen gig, and a really nice guy there saw me, and he started talking to me about Brett Favre for about an hour, so it was an interesting way to spend the afternoon

At that show, though, it was too cold to wear just my t-shirt, so I wore the jacket instead.

and yes, Zu! She was great. And I just bought a ticket to Chicago from her, so now she's even more awesome.

95 degrees.

30 degrees . Hypothermia.

But neither extreme hot or cold sounds good to me, and I'm praying that July 5th decides to be a very mild day.

I'm sure I've said this before, but as much as I hate the Cowboys and all of the hyper around that new stadium: That fucking screen is intimidating. As big as I heard it was, I never expected it to be THAT big. And then I was sitting under it the whole show (on the 50 yard line, no less, which I thought was pretty cool for whatever reason) and I kept having this intense fear it was just going to fall on me.

That's awesome about your Packer gear and The STEEN. Good strategy for conversation starters!

I'm praying it's not 95 and too-humid in Minneapolis in July as well. That could make for a rather unpleasant evening. (Although at least the sun won't be out.)

Oh shit! I didn't realize the tour had started up yet. And I went to the last page of the thread to see if they had just started the thread early, but of course we're in the middle of a show, and I really was going to try and avoid set list spoilers this time around :uhoh:

Best trio of REM harmonies in any REM song.

Ashley: I'm with you. I'm trying to be strong and put the Mexico thread on ignore as soon as it popped up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom