Random Music Talk XXVI: You can smell the whiskey burnin' down Cobbledicks Rd

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

:ohmy:

You need to pick up Mark Ronson's previous album Version, which includes Just as well as other songs like the Kaiser Chiefs' Oh My God (sung by Lily Allen), The Charlatans' The Only One I Know (sung by Robbie Williams), and The Zutons' Valerie (sung by Amy Winehouse).

It is awesome.

And I totally loved Record Collection as well. I only recently learned he had an album prior to Version, but it's mostly hip-hop type collaborations and did absolutely nothing for me.

thanks for the tip, will do! i actually never heard Record Collection, wish i had now.

I haven't heard Winter or Spin. I missed the window to download Linear.

Seriously though, We R Who We R might be the worst song of the past five or so years, along with Let it Rock by Kevin Rudolph and that god-awful Fireflies song.

Can anyone name a worse song than these three?

I like Winter, though I think the stripped down Brothers piano version is miles ahead of the one from Linear. Just appeals to my senses more. It's much prettier. And it gets rid of the intro that sounds ridiculously similar to the intro of a hit Coldplay song.

The best of the fest however went to Mark Ronson and the Business Intl, who had hits last year with The Bike Song and Somebody to Love. Thoroughly entertaining. They also played covers of Radiohead's Just, which was a real wtf moment, and the theme song from The OC which was great as well.

Nice. Alex Greenwald must have been there. That cover of "Just" was a single and Greenwald had lead vocals on it. Greenwald is/was the lead singer of Phantom Planet, who did the song "California" that became the OC theme song. I really like his voice. And I've always thought they were an underrated band. They've got a number of damn good songs. I especially like their second album, the one that had "California" on it. Too bad that they'll forever only be known for doing "the theme song to the OC."

Anyway, that's cool you saw them. I didn't know he was touring with Ronson. And now that I'm looking on Wiki, it looks like he co-wrote a bunch of the songs on Ronson's most recent album. I might have to check that shit out.

This is the new nominee for worst song ever.

YouTube - Rebecca Black-Friday (OFFICIAL VIDEO)

I have no idea who she is or what the ever-loving-fuck this is all about, but it's hilariously bad.

GOTTA HAVE MY BOWL
GOTTA HAVE CEREAL

I have no idea if this is some sort of Radio Disney horror, or if some random girl got a hold of an autotune program or what.

Edit: answered my own question. The internet giveth, and then the internet giveth some more.

Who the hell made Rebecca Black's Friday video?

The answer is Ark Music Factory, a Los Angeles-based company operating as an industry hybrid of Maurice Starr and John Bennett Ramsey. Their casting calls are perfect bait for starry-eyed parents: “If you are a great singer without any material and you want to get discovered,” one reads, “then Ark Music Factory is looking for you.”

The formula is simple: They’ll fly your child between the specified ages of 13-17 to Los Angeles, write her a “hit,” record it in super-compressed Autotuned production, shoot an edge detection-overlay video and BAM! Maybe your kid can notch up a couple thousand YouTube views while you watch your dreams of being a pop-star parent percolate.

It's probably a bad sign all around that one of the video producer dudes goes by the name "John Bennett Ramsey."

Oh, wait. I'm pretty sure that was just a jab at the Ark Music Factory by whoever wrote that blurb. Maurice Starr was the guy who found the New Kids on the Block and I dont think he's around anymore

Edit: I think you're right!

If that's the case, though, they should have figured out the correct spelling of JonBenet Ramsey.

:) Indeed they should have. Though her Dad's name is John, so maybe they meant him

Edit: Wikipedia tells me his name is John Bennett Ramsey

Oh, wait. I'm pretty sure that was just a jab at the Ark Music Factory by whoever wrote that blurb. Maurice Starr was the guy who found the New Kids on the Block and I dont think he's around anymore

I had no idea who either of those people were, but I get it now. :reject:

FRAH-EE-DAY
FRAH-EE-DAY

I'm afraid to know if the parents are horrified or thrilled that their autotuned daughter has gone viral.

Is that Friday thing fucking for real???? What the fuck?

If that songs becomes popular, I pray for a nuclear holocaust. The world needs to start anew

Did you watch it? It's so bad it's awesome.

As far as I can tell, I think it's real insofar as she went to that Ark place and did a song/video. I have no earthly idea how it went viral.

I heard about it two nights ago catching up on a gossip blog I don't visit as much as I used to, and then when I Googled it before making the post, she's being talked about all over the damned place.

There are cover versions and remixes on YouTube, too. :lol: And you can see other videos made by that same company.

Feast your eyes on this gem:

Yesterday was Thursday
Today is Friday
We we we we so excited
We so excited
We gonna have a ball today
Tomorrow is Saturday
And Sunday comes afterwards

Yesterday was Thursday

Tomorrow is Saturday

After that is Sunday.

EDIT: Waaaay late on that one. That's what I get for making a post without refreshing first.

corianderstem said:
I'd say that Black Eyed Peas Time Of My Life-sampling monstrosity is right up there.

Good call.

Sicy likes that song.

martha said:
tsk.

Drink is never more important than music.

You're completely right, but in my defense I didn't know I was going until midday yesterday, the day of the festival, cos of the free ticket (I wasn't paying $160). If I'd known the night before I wouldn't have drank as much.

Reggo said:
No, Tik Tok is the worst song ever.

That song is catchy enough I spose. Not great though. Whip My hair back and forth would be up there.

I was born in 1990. In decades past, was there as much popular bad music as there is today? Surely there can't have been.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom