Random Music Talk XXV: Friggin Cobbler is too Friggin Slow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone posted a Payola's song on Facebook, which made me start listening to 80s tunes on youtube. Payolas and Rock & Hyde were awesome

I'm just in the beginning stages, but FYC's I'm Not The Man I Used to Be and Johnny Come Home are for sure

Nice :up:. I remember when I was really little I had a FYC cassette tape my parents got me for Christmas once that I used to listen to a lot.

The Payolas song-I'm guessing it was this one:

YouTube - Payola$ - Eyes Of A Stranger

I like that song, too.

Angela

I dont really remember them. You mean like the CDs themselves were tiny??? All the singles I ever bought were the same sized, but just came in some shitty slim case that wouldn't fit properly in my CD tower

Yeah, they were 3 inch or something.

450px-Japanese_CD_Single_6-by-3-in_cover%2C_opened.JPG

Mini CD single - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I think I only have a few, and I know I did get one of them in Japan (almost identical packaging to the above picture)

It was that one. Rock & Hyde were in the Paylolas (At least Paul Hyde was), so it got me listening to this one

YouTube - ROCK & HYDE - Dirty Water

Oh, okay. Neat.

Never heard that song before. Not bad. Definitely screams '80s, no question.

It's a 'riding in the car with my dad when i was little' song for me

I have a TON of songs like that, I could make at least a couple CDs of them alone. My dad used to make mix tapes for himself and my mom all the time, and they played them often when we'd be on trips somewhere. That's how I heard so much oldies music, and a bunch of '80s stuff as well.

He also made them for me and my sister as well. I remember the first one I ever had that he made for me was a mix tape of a bunch of '70s songs from one of those music collection infomercials, 'cause I used to watch those all the time when I was a kid :lol: (I still do, actually :reject:).

Angela

My dad used to make mix tapes for himself and my mom all the time, and they played them often when we'd be on trips somewhere.

Yes! this. There were tape drawers filled with mixes that he'd make with all the songs written out on the cardboard thing that all tapes came with. I wonder what has happened to all of those :hmm: My dad is an airplane geek and would (actually still does) visit the airport on nice days to take photos of the planes. He trades the slides with people all over the world. So when we were little, we would often go to the airport with him. A lot of songs remind me of those little outings.

Yes! this. There were tape drawers filled with mixes that he'd make with all the songs written out on the cardboard thing that all tapes came with. I wonder what has happened to all of those :hmm:

Ah, cool! Yeah, we had stacks of them, too, in shelves and stuff in our house. Almost to the point where the stack could topple over at any moment.

Unfortunately nearly all of ours have been lost to moving about a lot over the years (as has our family's big record collection). Which is a shame. Thank goodness for the ability of music to stick in one's head, though, so at least there's that (or to be reminded of it, too-I just stumbled across a Bruce Springsteen song recently that I completely forgot about that my mom used to play a lot).

Maybe you'll be lucky enough to come across yours again sometime.

My dad is an airplane geek and would (actually still does) visit the airport on nice days to take photos of the planes. He trades the slides with people all over the world. So when we were little, we would often go to the airport with him. A lot of songs remind me of those little outings.

Aw, that's neat :). Sounds like fun. I imagine he's got some pretty impressive pictures.

My dad was a total train geek. He never took pictures of them, though. But he could rattle off all the connecting lines and how far they went and all that sort of thing (he had family who worked in the railroads, too, so that was a factor as well).

This discussion's making me all nostalgic now! I'll have to go hunt down some of those songs and play them.

Angela

i too have fond memories of the albums dad used to play in the car when we drove around. it's why i still love Bryan Adams' Waking up the Neighbours and Bob Seger and Bat Out of Hell.

Bat Out of Hell.

"Paradise By The Dashboard Light", swear to god, I could probably quote that whole song, I've heard it so much. I like the song, though, so that's okay.

That song also reminds me, in 6th grade, we played a game in music class one day where the teacher would read the first line of a song, and then we had to fill in the rest of it from there. It was girls against boys, and songs like that Meat Loaf one were among those that were mentioned in the game. My parents playing the music they did and my familiarity with older songs like that were very helpful to our team that day :D./coolstorybro

Angela

Radiohead have never been hip or cool, U2 are not past their prime, there is more excitement surrounding a U2 release, U2's current music is as relevant/celebrated as Radiohead's...

Fair enough. Just hoping you didn't include any of my posts in that. :lol:

Bat Out of Hell :drool:

My dad used to listen to the same CDs over and over and over and over again in his truck while he'd drive around. I swear, I probably know ever song by Black Sabbath and just don't realize it, from how many times I heard their discography with him. But that's also how The Wall ended up being one of my favorite albums ever. Some stuff just sticks with you better, I suppose.

The 5 Best Quotes From Justin Bieber's Rolling Stone Interview: Pics, Videos, Links, News

2. On health care: “Canada's the best country in the world. We go to the doctor and we don't need to worry about paying him, but here, your whole life, you're broke because of medical bills. My bodyguard's baby was premature, and now he has to pay for it. In Canada, if your baby's premature, he stays in the hospital as long as he needs to, and then you go home.”

5. On politics: “I'm not sure about the parties. But whatever they have in Korea, that's bad.”

Canada, represent.

I very broadly agree with those two quotes, and that's why I don't post in FYM.

Gotta side with the position that those questions were loaded/overly lofty: he's always been a dumbass Canadian, and likely always will be, so what's the purpose of drilling the kid beyond proving this? Not that he doesn't have it coming.

No, no. Go for it. If you want a Braves cap, get that shit.

Are you getting one that's just a plain "A" or does it have the tomahawk on it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom