Random Music Talk XXIX: You snooze, you lose

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lancemc said:
YouTube - Sonic Youth - Incinerate

Mainly for the lady behind the camera. But the song is catchy as fuck.

This. The newer albums are underrated, I feel, even if they don't strike me as the classics Daydream Nation and Sister remain.

Laz, the NO albums I've heard are Technique and Power, Corruption And Lies. At least, I think I've heard Technique. Clearly, I'm in no place to properly critique them, as I can hardly remember them, but neither really seemed great or awful, just enjoyable synth-pop. Guess I'll try Brotherhood then.

Joy Division is an awesome band but only tenuously related to New Order as they stand today.

Technique is weird because half of it is very Euro-dance/disco-ey influenced, but also has some very organic, stripped down songs like the ones I posted earlier (All The Way, Love Less).

I like all of it but someone who doesn't like the dance tracks will find it erratic. Power Corruption and Lies is VERY ahead of its time but doesn't yield much pleasure for me outside of a few songs.

Substance was the first album I ever bought on CD. True Faith is still one of my favorite synth pop songs ever.

I actually rather enjoyed 2005's Waiting for the Siren's Call. Bernard Sumner And Phil Cunningham's new project, Bad Lieutenant, put out a pretty decent album too.

Can I take this moment to say I love absolutely everything about Losing My Edge? From the microcosm of the guitars and drums n shit in the first 15 seconds to the delivery to the synths, to Nancy, to the lyrics, the listing of the bands... great song.

And Beat Connection as the b-side? Yes please!

Joy Division > New Order

Luckily, fate agreed with me.

hangman.gif

They were finished before they had a chance to fuck up their legacy. I'm okay with that

Laz, did you bother with Bad Lieutenant?

EDIT: Stopped being lazy and answered my own question by just reading the thread for the album.

Yeah, so, the second side of Brotherhood wasn't even fair. One great song after another. I'm sold on that one at least, and quite interested in returning to what I've heard.

I have to rescind my previous post about knowing a NO song. Actually, I know the Orgy cover of Blue Monday, not the original. :shifty: I'm ashamed of me, too.

Great fucking song. A definitive example of a great beat merging with a classic chorus. That one will always be among my favorites by the band, regardless of how much I hear. In contrast, I've always found Blue Monday's melody pretty mediocre but the beat unstoppable.

Finishing up Beck's Midnite Vultures for about the 100th time. Still a party, still criminally underrated. Makes me a little bit depressed though, knowing how sullen he's gotten in the years since. He wouldn't dream of playing this shit anymore. Reminds me of Shuttlecock a bit...I realize the 90s were embarrassing, but not everything about it should be left behind.

i love me some new order. i wouldn't even know my favourite song of theirs, each time i listen to them i find another song to love.

i love joy division too but (IMO) their two albums can't possibly surpass everything new order did.

Age of Consent takes approximately 3 seconds to mark itself as one of the most memorable pop songs of all time.

I love it. It's my current ringtone. And is great for running.

Plus I loved this song like 20 years before Marie Antoinette came out.

My embarrassing confession? I was fully aware of New Order for years, but if it wasn't on Substance or was a single from the 90s, I didn't know it.

I had never heard Age of Consent before I saw a trailer for Marie Antoinette, and I pretty much nearly jumped out of my seat, all "WHAT IS THIS SONG I MUST HAVE IT NOW!!!!!!"

I can't believe I lived so long without ever hearing it.

Another song where the Substance remix is probably better.

I ended up picking up one of the more recent hits collections because I think they'd all been remastered or whatever, and I was looking forward to hearing the "better" versions of the songs on Substance, a CD I'd had and loved for eons.

Wow, I was so disappointed to find that most of the versions of the songs were completely different mixes. I pretty much prefer everything on Substance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIWMWCcpO_Y

Randomly heard this on the radio this morning, and decided I probably like it even more than a good number of my favorite Grizzly Bear songs. Awesome track, GB fannies should give it a listen if they possibly aren't already familiar.

Cool video too.

I love using that that phrase to make people I work with in Australia uncomfortable.

I'm a bastard.

Two bands I would like to bring up:

YouTube - The Beat - Don't Wait Up For Me

They're growing on me. The first time I heard The Beat's debut, I couldn't get past the lyrics, which I thought (and still think) were inane and simplistic. Didn't give much of a shit on second listen, so I'm closer to really liking them now. I felt bad for not getting much out of it initially: it's one of the premiere power-pop records.

and

YouTube - The Gun Club - "Fire Spirit"

I mean, isn't that just the most badass thing? Great guitars. Creepy as hell. I will return to this, surely.

What in the name of all that's good and holy...

Gothabilly - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Has the Cure written a country song yet? I can't help but picture Robert Smith, straw in his teeth, singing morbidly about a man who tipped his cow.

aux2_zgtpromo2-300x201.jpg

Fields of the Nephilim's initial sound incorporated elements of hard rock, gothic rock, metal and psychedelic rock, and comprised a bass and guitar driven sound underpinned by McCoy's growled vocals. Lyrically, the band incorporated magical themes, referencing the Cthulhu Mythos, the Sumerian religion, Chaos magic and the works of Aleister Crowley.

what is this i don't even

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom