Random Music Talk XXIV: Where there's CLICK!ing and NASH!ing of teeth

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok, so I did a quick jstor/Google Scholar search through my university's library and came up with no specific studies that focus on sociological aspects of having a preference for lyrics vs. music in pop music. I did, however, find an article about nostalgia and emotional tone in lyrics, which suggested those who scored high on an inventory of personal nostalgia were no more optimistic, pessimistic, or negatively emotional than less nostalgic folks. Those who were high-nostalgic also tended to score higher on a measure of emotional intensity though. Take that as you will.

I'm nearly always a music-first person and would consider myself to be a generally optimistic and/or positive person.

Speaking of all that Beatles talk from the last page, I saw LOVE for the third time last weekend. Every time I find something new to fascinate me about it.

I was fortunate to see it once, and it was definitely an experience. Some of the interpretations of the songs were masterful. The artistry behind the whole thing is undeniable.

Someone told me Love wasnt running anymore, which didn't make sense because Cirque de Soleil shows just go indefinitely; arent there like 5 in Vegas right now?

Someone was wrong then. I think LOVE has at least another five years there. There are six Cirque shows going on that I know of right now: Mystere, Zumanity, O, Ka (the only other one I've seen), the new relatively new Viva Elvis, and obviously LOVE. I think O will probably be on the docket if/when I head there again this summer. You'd think I'd branch out and see something different considering how frequently I visit Las Vegas, but it hasn't happened yet.

Edit: forgot Cirque does the poorly reviewed Criss Angel show. I wouldn't be caught dead at Luxor, let alone seeing that douchebag.

Ah, I'd love to be able to go see that sometime. I've never been to Vegas period, so at some point, in the future, I'll be there. apparently hopefully within the next five years.

Also, music first most of the time, but there are occasions where I definitely put the lyrics on a higher pedestal. I have no idea how people on the board interpret my personality, but I do like beer.

Imperor, what are the cheapest LOVE seats you can get? And which ones did you have/would you recommend in terms of bang for your buck?

Also, I was at a thrift store today and found some big paperback thing called The Shuttlecock Portfolio, containing lyrics, pics, some interview snippets, and sheet music for a selection of songs from BallBoy through The Unforgettable Liar. I was confused by a song called Touch but then found out it's an outtake. Strange that they would include it here. I don't play any instruments but for $2 I figured what the hell. The cashier then was then like "My son loves Shuttlecock!" and told me how they went to the Rose Bowl in 2009 and is going back to see them this summer.

Also, I was at a thrift store today and found some big paperback thing called The Shuttlecock Portfolio, containing lyrics, pics, some interview snippets, and sheet music for a selection of songs from BallBoy through The Unforgettable Liar. I was confused by a song called Touch but then found out it's an outtake. Strange that they would include it here. I don't play any instruments but for $2 I figured what the hell. The cashier then was then like "My son loves Shuttlecock!" and told me how they went to the Rose Bowl in 2009 and is going back to see them this summer.

Everybody loves the cock.

What about Stratosphere?

Wouldn't know. I don't really ever get much further north than TI.

Imperor, what are the cheapest LOVE seats you can get? And which ones did you have/would you recommend in terms of bang for your buck?

Well, I think the furthest back you can get are $69, which isn't bad. I've sat right up front, near the back, and now right about middle. I'd recommend that middle spot as far as getting able to see everything. Those tickets run about $130 I think, but we got them at a discount the day of at the box office.

Honestly, if you're doing it on the cheap, the farthest back seats are still bad ass. You won't miss anything. But sitting about midway through the 200s section was probably the best of my three experiences.

Right, Laz. Here's another look:

1rzr81.jpg

I've been in 106 row G, 304 row DD, and last Sunday 205 row O. Bang for your buck? Do one of those corner 200 sections row O-T. This way the prop that goes over the audience won't be on top of you. You'll have a great view of everything going on. It's sensory overload to a ridiculous degree, but those are probably the best seats to take it all in.

Ha, Morrissey was frontman for The Smiths, whereas Robert Smith heads The Cure. Apparently they despise each other, but I love them both.

I'm starting to get a little hope that The Cure might ever do something again. They're doing a random show or two this year.

Yes, I'm grasping at straws.

Ha, Morrissey was frontman for The Smiths, whereas Robert Smith heads The Cure. Apparently they despise each other, but I love them both.

I think that's it. The Smiths, Robert Smith. :shrug:

When I stop to think about it, I remember all that. I didn't like either band then, and I still don't.

Although now I think I need to go through my old singles and see which one I have.

Have you heard the other songs from that period? There were a few non albums singles that came out then, "The Walk", "Charlotte Sometimes" and "The Lovecats". They're all pretty good and, "Charlotte Sometimes" aside all have that same sound.

Here's some random music talk for you. I'm going insane trying to figure out what song to dance with my dad to at the wedding. My dad and I share only three musical artists in common: Ozzy Osbourne, Pink Floyd and Black Sabbath (lots of Ozzy). The only "our songs" we have are "Is There Anybody Out There" and "Brown Eyed Girl". I was fine with BEG until I found out that the lyrics are kind of :uhoh:. I've tried to seek advice on the internet but God, all of the songs are so cheesy. I probably should just suck it up and go with one of the norm songs. Right now from what I've found, "I'll Stand By You", "What A Wonderful World" and "Forever Young" (Rod Stewart) are the only songs that are even remotely close to me going with.

Sorry for the rambly nature of this, I'm getting kind of stressed out over such a stupid thing.

We have a winner.

i was trying to say "i have an iron cast stomach" on my iphone. didn't throw up either. everyone else did. :hi5:

IWB, what do you think of Pearl Jam? Particularly, their album entitled Yield? It's a fucking near masterpiece, in my humble opinion.

i think Yield is pretty great. Given to Fly is a great song. Vs. is my favourite of theirs by a long way.

just a little bit lon-ger...

or is it long-er? who even sings that song? what's the rest of it? and why the hell is that the song that came to mind instead of the 1000000000s of other songs out there with the word "wait" in them? why not the beatles? why not...

why don't i just go take a nap already?

:wave:

aren't you thinking of Stay by Jackson Browne? (Staaaayyyyy... just a little bit longer...) i might be wrong.

Lucky! I've only heard the (awesome) soundtrack.

Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite / I Want You (She's So Heavy) / Helter Skelter is fucking mindblowingly good.

I wouldn't be caught dead at Luxor

why is this?

i can't wait to go back to America.

:hi5: for multiquote.

It would be so nice years from now to look back on this special day and think of War Pigs, or maybe Fairies Wear Boots.

See, at least someone agrees with me.

So, apparently there's this version of Winnie the Pooh where a little girl hangs out with them in the Hundred Acre Wood. My dad has a 3 year old son, so they watch this show together, and my dad, very curious as to what had happened to Christopher Robin(s as my dad calls him) started paying closer attention to the show. Then in the second or third episode the animals in the 100 acre wood wanted to go dig holes. The girl freaked out and was like all, "no, no, let's not do that." My dad is now convinced that this little girl murdered Christopher Robins and buried his body in the 100 Acre Wood.

I told you that story to tell you this one:

This song showed up on a list of potential father/daughter dance songs:
YouTube - Return to Pooh Corner

This song is one of the most unfortunate things I think I've ever heard. Bonus at the end when Kenny Loggins' son's stuffed bear talks to Kenny. It's kind of creepy as fuck.

Have you heard the other songs from that period? There were a few non albums singles that came out then, "The Walk", "Charlotte Sometimes" and "The Lovecats". They're all pretty good and, "Charlotte Sometimes" aside all have that same sound.

Probably. I was probably about your age when they were popular. I just didn't like them.

Answers.com - Who sings stay just a little bit longer

I had no idea that Jackson Browne did a version of it. I'm listening to it now.

I have a soft spot for the Running On Empty album.

Back
Top Bottom