Random Music Talk XXIV: Where there's CLICK!ing and NASH!ing of teeth

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I really wish that they would not post such blatantly partial article titles. I remember one that read "New Spoon album: Yes!!!" They either don't care about or are oblivious to how much that type of thing damages their journalistic integrity.

i am inclined to think that journalistic integrity went out the window with the advent of the blog. my mother says this, amongst other things, makes me a curmudgeon. which reminds me, i have a cleveland amory book to read.

Jeff Mangum was already irritating enough, but Pitchfork has been OBNOXIOUS about Neutral Milk Hotel news lately.

January 10 - OMFG Jeff Mangum takes shit, perhaps influenced by Neutral Milk Hotel
January 12 - Jeff Mangum utilizes can opener (VIDEO)
January 15 - Jeff Mangum covers Radiohead in shower
January 17 - Jeff Mangum remembers Neutral Milk Hotel(!!!!!), references them in interview with Pitchfork
January 20 - Jeff Mangum to do absolutely nothing for charity benefit
January 24 - Neutral Milk Hotel to reunite...in the dreams of Pitchfork staff

:laugh:

The sad part is that it's not far from the truth.

When you guys are in the throes of a bad hangover, does your mind flash to the person you most care about?

Kill me with those green eyes, as the lights go down.
Give me something that'll haunt me when you're not around.

Eleanor Rigby fucked us.

Whoever's idea it was to put strings on that track (George Martin?) fucked us completely, for eternity.

Now everybody wants strings that sound that like that song.

McCartney fucked over our society. God damnit.

Picture a society that has lived for 45 years without the existence of Eleanor Rigby. It's a hell of a lot different, I'll tell you.

Eleanor Rigby fucked us.

Whoever's idea it was to put strings on that track (George Martin?) fucked us completely, for eternity.

Now everybody wants strings that sound that like that song.

McCartney fucked over our society. God damnit.

Picture a society that has lived for 45 years without the existence of Eleanor Rigby. It's a hell of a lot different, I'll tell you.

there were strings on yesterday first though, no?

i have a feeling i'm dead fucking wrong on this, which probably means i should eat something and then go to sleep.

You are correct.

There are strings on Yesterday. That fucker is drenched in strings. God damn George Martin.

IWB, what do you think of Pearl Jam? Particularly, their album entitled Yield? It's a fucking near masterpiece, in my humble opinion.

Phanan, good man. What do you think of Yield? Would you say it's one of your favorite Pearl Jam albums, or no?

Yes, I really dig Yield myself. In fact, I like it better than No Code, although it seems a lot of people prefer that one instead. Vitalogy, Vs., and Yield are probably my favorites, with No Code not far behind.

But hell, all those albums in the 90's were awesome.

I'd rank it fourth, actually.

1. No Code
2. Vitalogy
3. Vs.
4. Yield

But I consider all four albums great. I'd describe Ten as "very good", shame about the production.

i like yield a lot. i'd rank it behind no code, though. but it comes in at second. honestly, they're the only 2 pearl jam albums i will listen to in their entirety. the rest have way excellent songs, but then there's some stuff i'm not overly fond of...and then there's the mop.

Yes!

Could've tuned in, tuned in, but he tuned out. Bad time, nothing could save him. Made it to the ocean, had a smoke in a tree.

Has there ever been a sociological study done about the difference between people who prefer lyric to instrumentation, when it comes to pop music?

Because I'm a lyric man, first and foremost. Don't get me wrong, I dig on instrumentation. I dig on it big time. But if I had to choose, I like to hear what people have to say, out of their mouths. Cuts to the fucking heart.

Yes!

Could've tuned in, tuned in, but he tuned out. Bad time, nothing could save him. Made it to the ocean, had a smoke in a tree.

Has there ever been a sociological study done about the difference between people who prefer lyric to instrumentation, when it comes to pop music?

Because I'm a lyric man, first and foremost. Don't get me wrong, I dig on instrumentation. I dig on it big time. But if I had to choose, I like to hear what people have to say, out of their mouths. Cuts to the fucking heart.

not sure. but probably. they've done studies on everything.

instrumentation, always. i tend to not look too closely at lyrics if the music going with them doesn't grab me first.

well, if we keep this narrow b&c sociological study to me and GAF, gaf likes lyrics and is an optimistic, positive human being who enjoys pop music and isn't afraid to use the word love frequently in describing well, stuff he loves. i'm a cranky asshole who hates everything. we both like beer.

When you guys are in the throes of a bad hangover, does your mind flash to the person you most care about?
Interesting question. My mind flashed to someone I care about this morning, but only because I had some slightly alarming news come in from home (a family member had a bit of a health scare, but things look okay), so probably not due to the hangover.

It is snowing heavily as I wake up on this Saturday.

Penn State-Wisconsin. BJC. 4:00. I'll be there. First game as a fan this season.

just a little bit lon-ger...

or is it long-er? who even sings that song? what's the rest of it? and why the hell is that the song that came to mind instead of the 1000000000s of other songs out there with the word "wait" in them? why not the beatles? why not...

why don't i just go take a nap already?

:wave:

haha, and then it got edited anyway.

i lose.

but yeah, good, like the gafman said.

Speaking of all that Beatles talk from the last page, I saw LOVE for the third time last weekend. Every time I find something new to fascinate me about it.

well, if we keep this narrow b&c sociological study to me and GAF, gaf likes lyrics and is an optimistic, positive human being who enjoys pop music and isn't afraid to use the word love frequently in describing well, stuff he loves. i'm a cranky asshole who hates everything. we both like beer.

:hmm: What does that say about me. I'm a music-first person and I do consider myself an optimistic, positive human being who enjoys pop music. And no, this music-first appreciation does not only apply to those singing in English, but to those singing in Dutch as well. Though with the Dutch songs I might have a connection with the lyrics sooner.

This is getting curiouser and curiouser. :)

:hmm: What does that say about me. I'm a music-first person and I do consider myself an optimistic, positive human being who enjoys pop music. And no, this music-first appreciation does not only apply to those singing in English, but to those singing in Dutch as well. Though with the Dutch songs I might have a connection with the lyrics sooner.

This is getting curiouser and curiouser. :)

but you like beer!

Back
Top Bottom