Random Music Talk XXIV: Where there's CLICK!ing and NASH!ing of teeth

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If there are two things I love in this world it's Harry Potter and Radiohead. Easily two of the best modern pop culture entities, and two of the best things that England has ever given us.

So why the fuck did I just now find out that Jonny Greenwood and Phil Selway are in Goblet of Fire?

They're in the band that plays during the big Hogwarts ball. And the fucking band is called The Weird Sisters, which rules. Can't go wrong with a Macbeth reference. And Jarvis Cocker is the singer.

How did I not know about this. Crazy shit.

weird-sisters.jpg

And to go further, I still can't tell that's Jarvis Cocker.
(Pulp's bass player is also there)

That shit is so cool. They should record and release an actual full length album. I would totally buy it.

I, on the other hand, always knew this. It's probably my (or one of my) favourite parts of that film.

According to Wiki, Jarvis Cocker wrote three songs for the band. I'm not all that familiar with Pulp's music, I know a handful of songs but have never heard a full album. I've seen some interviews and things with Cocker, though, and he seems like a very intelligent guy.

Has there ever been a sociological study done about the difference between people who prefer lyric to instrumentation, when it comes to pop music?

Because I'm a lyric man, first and foremost. Don't get me wrong, I dig on instrumentation. I dig on it big time. But if I had to choose, I like to hear what people have to say, out of their mouths. Cuts to the fucking heart.

Instrumentation, nearly always. It probably has a lot to do with me listening predominantly to English-speaking music while not having English as my first language when growing up, lyrics then were pretty much irrelevant because I had no clue what the heck the singers were saying. Plus, I just don't find that many songs with lyrics that really appeal to me, there's only a small selection of bands/artists that I appreciate for lyrics as well as music.

why do sites like mediafire etc insist on the fucking "pay $x and downloading will be easier" shit. it's really annoying. i don't care if i have to wait 42 seconds to download a file i'm not becoming a member.
seriously. i did pay up like twice for rapidshare (back when i had disposable income) when i went on a downloading spree, but i sure as hell wouldn't do that again. it just seems a bit ridiculous to expect you to give money to a file sharing site so you can...download things without paying for them. i'd sooner just buy something legally so the artist in question gets the money instead of some faceless download site.

My dream last night consisted of me losing my cell phone in an empty church and looking for it for a long time. I eventually found it.

holy shit man what the fuck did you eat before bed! crazy!

Man, I missed the discussion about alcohol.

what is your choice of social lubricant?

i have enjoyed cigarettes when drinking/drunk but i think now that Mum has breast cancer i won't smoke one again. it seems pointless because i'm not a smoker and it is very unhealthy. i've got nothing against people who smoke though. well except for the old bingo ladies who smoke outside the door of my gym. but it's a choice and a lot of people enjoy it.

According to Wiki, Jarvis Cocker wrote three songs for the band. I'm not all that familiar with Pulp's music, I know a handful of songs but have never heard a full album. I've seen some interviews and things with Cocker, though, and he seems like a very intelligent guy.

I've only got one song of theirs, that being This Is Hardcore, which I heard while listening to the last.fm radio. It's a brilliant song.

I really need to get more of their music.

every musician appears intelligent. i hate it. you ask a lead singer or a lead guitarist how to save the world, and they won't shut up for an hour. Roger Waters and Pete Townshend spring to mind as two of the worst/best examples of this.

That is a great song. :love: So 90's.

That's it, I'm getting their albums whenever I can.

Hurray! Yeah, I'm glad this topic got brought up, because I haven't actually listened to any of their music in like 6 or 7 months, and that makes me sad, because I keep meaning to delve further into their discography. I've only heard the two albums I've mentioned. Really need to get to This Is Hardcore. Seriously, I love these guys. I'm listening to a bunch of random tracks on grooveshark, having a good ole time.

If you're referencing what I think you are, :love:

i am! one of my favourite movies ever!

and i just noticed the word "grooveshark" in your post and looked it up.

do you mean to tell me i have just found a site where i can play any song in the world within a matter of seconds without going on youtube?

either i'm having a stroke, or i'm pretty excited.

do you mean to tell me i have just found a site where i can play any song in the world within a matter of seconds without going on youtube?

I Squirtigo'd as well. Loses its appeal a bit once you hear some of the 5 kbps vinyl rips people upload from time to time, as well as the HORRID mistagging. Search for "Songs for the Deaf" and prepare for 90 versions of No One Knows, 89 spelled incorrectly.

Love it. I've always wanted to do one of those recut trailers for that one in which the film is actually about the love Ben Stiller has for Vince Vaughn, but 1) I can't remember all of the scenes I was going to use for it and 2) That takes initiative.

I've mentioned Grooveshark many times before this :tsk:. It also has the ability to scrobble, and there's a mobile version. Those features cost though, it used to be $3 a month, but now it's $9. I'm locked in at $3 for life though :drool:

I Squirtigo'd as well. Loses its appeal a bit once you hear some of the 5 kbps vinyl rips people upload from time to time, as well as the HORRID mistagging. Search for "Songs for the Deaf" and prepare for 90 versions of No One Knows, 89 spelled incorrectly.

They've gotten MUCH better about the low quality rips, but I'll never forgive them for that night I had to unscrobble and rescrobble Midnite Vultures because I was listening to a copy that had the album spelled Midnight :grumpy:

Oh you must hear Different Class it's probably in my top 20 albums evar.

This. And try to get the 2CD deluxe edition, it's brilliant! Different Class is indeed in a class of its own, an excellent Britpop album. Common People, Disco 2000, Mis-Shapes, Sorted For E's & Wizz (and the bonus disc has a fun version of Nick Cave ruining Disco 2000 :lol: ).
This Is Hardcore is a huge downer album. Still great, but quite depressing.

Back
Top Bottom