Random Music Talk XXIII: Give Me Butt Meat or Give Me Death

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
MadForIt wasn't even the one who singled out The City, it was Cobbler.

My favs are Back & Forth, The City, A Life of Possibilities, and Gryoscope.

The Color and the Shape is a very good album. I've been kicking around the idea of working through the Foo Fighters' discography, since every one of their albums has a track or two I love (I maintain that they've been one of the better singles bands of the past couple decades), but I probably won't. Glad I bothered with this one though. Everlong is brilliant.

Everlong also has one of the greatest music videos of all time. Foos are wicked fun in concert.

I think I heard a new Bright Eyes song on the radio today. I think I liked it as well.

They were streaming it somewhere last week. I listened once, but it didn't really grab me. I'll have to give it another listen

Google "LCD acronym" and I think you'll figure it out quickly.

I can't stand when people use the term 'lowest common denominator' incorrectly. It literally means the most people possible, but people always use it in a sort of 'lowest form of life' sense. I nearly smacked a bitch the other day for doing that

I can't stand when people use the term 'lowest common denominator' incorrectly. It literally means the most people possible, but people always use it in a sort of 'lowest form of life' sense. I nearly smacked a bitch the other day for doing that
i'm still not sure you're using it completely correctly there, in its original sense.

i'm still not sure you're using it completely correctly there, in its original sense.

In it's non mathematical sense, it means to have content that the greatest number of people will find at least acceptable. Anything that is popular fits with the term 'appeals to the lowest common denominator' by definition. And those things are usually watered down without much nuance (but not always). Which I will agree doesn't quite jive with what the original mathematical term means, but it sure as hell doesn't make sense when someone says, for example, "rednecks are the lowest common denominator"

I thought it meant to have content that your average person is going to approve of?

Or am I saying the same thing you are?

I'm fairly certainly I wrote Bright Eyes, as I don't recall editing on that one.

:lol:

I think I can take credit for this one since it was on my last DI list. Absolutely incredible song, one MadForIt was right to love. Girl O Clock and Spider In The Snow are good, but I would replace those two with You Are Invited and Back And Forth to fill out my top 3.

The "too American for me" comment was textbook trolling though. MadForIt is too asshole for me.

yeah you can take all of the credit.

the album also has a really good cover.

and whilst "too American" is trolling considering who posted it, musically could it not be a valid point? i can't say, i haven't heard the album. a friend of mine can't stand Bruce Springsteen for that very reason.

I have found it a safe rule of thumb to eschew bands with a geographic reference in their name: Kansas, Chicago, America, Asia, etc.

*Barely resists urge to find "That's it, I'm fucking done with them" post*

I think I said this in regard to their Best Of lists.

I never implied or said outright that I would stop reading their reviews; it's still how I get most of my new music. Just this year I picked up Stricken City and Cotton Jones because of them, and I hadn't heard anyone else talking about those albums.

Can I just say that as amazing as London Calling is, it's even more amazing that they followed this classic double album with a TRIPLE album running almost 2.5 hours just 12 months later? And that Sandinista is one of the most ambitious, daring, and eclectic albums by a rock band, ever?

While it doesn't have the roster of powerhouse tracks that London Calling does, there ain't a lot of filler among its THIRTY-SIX songs; even the little dub instrumentals work when thought of as interludes. That's not to say that there aren't any standout songs because there's definitely a good number of memorable ones. And there's so much musical ground covered here and a true interest in exploring the sounds of various cultures that I think it's unfortunate that mid-period Clash is often thought of as mostly reggae vibing. SO much more than that.

And it really is their White Album, not just because of the variety of sounds. Each member of the band gets to sing a lead vocal, there's an interesting lineup of uncredited guests (Tim Curry?!, and the writing seems to be getting both more political and meta at the same time.

What I think is also so amazing is that (if the stories are true) the band sacrificed a portion of their royalties in exchange for being allowed to release a triple album at a low price. That's punk rock.

I really need to work more on my album collecting. So many classic artists whose albums I don't own, whom I only know through their big songs.

That story about the royalties stuff is awesome. Go, Clash :up:.

My apologies. I only know them from their mawkish radio hits.

Yeah, unfortunately that's how a lot of the public knows them (Peter Cetera...ergh *Makes face*). martha is definitely right, though, check out some of their '60s stuff, some great songs. "Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is?" and "25 or 6 to 4" are a couple of their more noteworthy songs from that time period, and they are excellent.

"Too American"-first off, what exactly does that even mean, second, yeah, 'cause people can totally help where they were born and grew up :eyebrow:. Good music is good music, the area where it comes from is irrelevant. To each their own, though, I guess :shrug:. Missing out on a lot of potentially great stuff that way, but whatever.

Angela

I'll be crucified for this, but I've never actually listened to London Calling.

I had only just heard it myself last year or maybe the year before. I'd put it off because I don't really care for the big big Clash hits ("Rock the Casbah" and "Should I Stay or Should I Go") and didn't realize that a couple of songs I did know by them were by them. So, needless to say I was kind of taken aback when the album was as good as it was. I don't love it nearly as much as some in this thread, but it's a great great piece of music.

Where were you guys and gals when I was being castigated for calling it over-rated a few weeks ago? :wink:

I thought it was your favorite album ever?

I remember this event, but I think I have some of the details confused.

I've since been informed that, yes, I was thinking of Scumbo. You are correct, GAF Man. I suck. I'm sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom