Random Music Talk XXIII: Give Me Butt Meat or Give Me Death

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think because it didn't become a huge cultural event, it was a sleeper hit, we try to keep things tidier that way, :shrug:. Even if it is a film people will talk about for years, a thread dedicated to it wouldn't continue to be lively for very long.

And rightfully so. The most affecting movie I've seen in years.

I'm not arguing the quality of the film. I'm arguing that the "random" quality of the thread is compromised when one topic dominates a large percentage of the discussion.

Guess I'm the Scumbo of Zoo Station. But in this case, I think it's realistic. Random is a great way to test a topic to see if it has enough interest to carry its own thread. As soon as Natalie Portman was confirmed, it passed said test.

Natalie Portman was confirmed for that project like a decade ago.

Why the hell am I still up, it's Eastern Standard Time here and I've been up since before 9, ridiculous, g'night all :wave:.

:wave: Night, PH 24/7. Or whatever your abbreviation is at this point.

I hope sorting through lists of albums never stops being more appealing to me than reading assignments, but this shit is due in like 9 hours and I did not sleep well at all last night.

You mean on Interference or in real life?

the fact that this is a very real distinction, and how hilarious it can be/is most of the time, is probably the heart of the reason i keep coming back to this site. even if i don't read the u2 parts of the board (in other words, only see discussions relating to them here amongst the people i consider to have slightly more rational musical opinions), just knowing it's there makes me feel at home.

iyup's DI playlist made me realize something i didn't know. "breathe" is a fucking awesome song. it might be a product of the context of which i heard it in the mix, and if that's the case, he should be producing the new album rather than the mouse guy.

B&C/Random team - i will never meet you but i just want you to know that you are entirely responsible for me 1) getting into Community and 2) witnessing an amazing concert by The National tonight. had i not plagued this forum with my irreverent commentary whilst reading and listening to stuff you talked about, i would likely have been in bed asleep hours ago. cheers

As soon as Natalie Portman was confirmed, it passed said test.

Speaking of Natalie, just what the hell was she thinking in regards to No Strings Attached? What could possibly have compelled an actress of her caliber toward such a train-wreck in the making?

And IWB, I'm glad that you enjoyed "Breathe." It is one of three genuinely euphoric U2 tracks, I think (the other two being "Streets" and "Beautiful Day").

Speaking of Natalie, just what the hell was she thinking in regards to No Strings Attached? What could possibly have compelled an actress of her caliber toward such a train-wreck in the making?

One also has to wonder if announcing an unmarried pregnancy right before your film about casual sex is released is the smartest move when you're in an Oscar race.

B&C/Random team - i will never meet you but i just want you to know that you are entirely responsible for me 1) getting into Community and 2) witnessing an amazing concert by The National tonight. had i not plagued this forum with my irreverent commentary whilst reading and listening to stuff you talked about, i would likely have been in bed asleep hours ago. cheers

Yay!

Because we talked about it to no end in the review thread, where were you?

That's the whole reason I wish there had been a thread for it. Every time I stepped foot in that thread I caught a glimpse of shit that occurs in the film, and it can be frustrating, since I can't go see it right now, myself.

There's a huge difference between BC and ZS when it comes to the random threads. I kind of wish there were more individual threads in ZS, but it's far more useful to have one general discussion thread in there. But when films like Black Swan don't get an individual thread, it's a bit of a head scratcher. Now, of course, anyone has the ability to make a thread for it, and I guess I could've done so myself, so I'll shut up.

Dear GOD that film looks atrocious. Every time I see the preview I just kind of stop what I'm doing, watching the TV horror-struck. Full of disbelief.

As for music...what's the consensus on British Sea Power?

I think "little banana kid" is what they used to call GAF in P.E. class.

Actually in P.E. class they called me Air Jordan Jr. because I used to just straight up dunk on people all the time when we played basketball.

(That's not true. I do have a good jump shot, though.)

There's a huge difference between BC and ZS when it comes to the random threads. I kind of wish there were more individual threads in ZS, but it's far more useful to have one general discussion thread in there. But when films like Black Swan don't get an individual thread, it's a bit of a head scratcher. Now, of course, anyone has the ability to make a thread for it, and I guess I could've done so myself, so I'll shut up.

I think you're right. We used to open threads for current movie titles, and while more obscure stuff belongs in Random, we should have separate discussions for bigger releases.

I'll make it a point to remember that.

This is why I still bother to read Pitchfork:

Pitchfork: Album Reviews: The Dismemberment Plan: Emergency & I [Vinyl Reissue]

The enthusiasm and passion here could convert anyone.

If you haven't heard this album yet, make it a point. It really is that good.

What an essay

Youtubed a couple of tracks
Its alright. Nothing special

You are Invited is cool
Girl o clock also
Spider in the snow is quality

Wouldnt give it a 10 out 10 though - too american for me

Pitckfork always sucks at reviews.

MadForIt, maybe i'm the only one, but i hope you don't stop posting here anytime soon, i love reading your posts and the furious responses they create!

i've heard The City i think it's called from that album and i really like that song.

What an essay

Youtubed a couple of tracks
Its alright. Nothing special

You are Invited is cool
Girl o clock also
Spider in the snow is quality

Wouldnt give it a 10 out 10 though - too american for me

Pitckfork always sucks at reviews.

How about that Roller song! The opening shot of the video isn't unintentionally hilarious at all! The song isn't the most derivative adult contemporary radio pile of crap ever either! Exactly what we all expect from mainstream UK bands!!! 10 out of 10!!!!!

i've heard The City i think it's called from that album and i really like that song.

I think I can take credit for this one since it was on my last DI list. Absolutely incredible song, one MadForIt was right to love. Girl O Clock and Spider In The Snow are good, but I would replace those two with You Are Invited and Back And Forth to fill out my top 3.

The "too American for me" comment was textbook trolling though. MadForIt is too asshole for me.

The Color and the Shape is a very good album. I've been kicking around the idea of working through the Foo Fighters' discography, since every one of their albums has a track or two I love (I maintain that they've been one of the better singles bands of the past couple decades), but I probably won't. Glad I bothered with this one though. Everlong is brilliant.

The "too American for me" comment was textbook trolling though.

My thoughts exactly. Hence why I put my thoughts on that atrocious Beady Eye song and video here instead of in the thread for it, as I don't want to piss on other people's parades like he/she loves to do. Seriously though guys, I really recommend you watch the first 5 to 10 seconds of that video, I started laughing immediately.

Have you had a chance to track down the Song Islands version of The Moon yet, LeMeL? If I were to make a list of songs that crush me inside almost every time I hear them, that would probably be on there. That said, I love the song. I really liked I Felt Your Shape from The Glow for the last year or two as well.

I think I heard a new Bright Eyes song on the radio today. I think I liked it as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom