Random Music Talk XXII: GAF, Hitman of Shitty Opening Acts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Then you're going to love the 'cockified b-side title Mouth Gone South For A Fiver.

If it wouldn't just become another circlejerk random I fucked Lance's Mom in the brownie sort of deal, I'd start cockifying the b-sides starting with Ball Boy.

I feel awfully bad for her. Whatever she's dealing with, it's got to be that much worse to be so young on top of being in the public eye. Poor kid.

I'm aghast at the rumors that have surfaced in the last month or so about Demi Lovato.

I haven't heard much of them, but it really is pathetic that "entertainment" shows and other media of that sort are aiding in spreading these rumors about a girl who's only how old again? She doesn't need people's scrutiny, she needs help.

And we can't figure out why so many young female celebrities get so screwed up.

Angela

She's 18.

Of course you can never truly know anybody. And you certainly can't know somebody just by watching them on TV and stuff.

But I never in a million years would have thought that she'd be doing the shit that has been reported. If all of it is true. She must be a great actress, because the characters she's played on Disney are the fucking polar opposite of a coke-blowing, crazy sex havin, rebellious wild child.

She's got pipes, man. Girl can sang. No joke. I quite like about 3 or 4 of her songs.

I hope she'll be alright.

To be fair, I'm also baffled and frustrated (and kind of fascinated, at this point) by their unwillingness to touch that album. I just always kind of shake my head when anyone mentions getting "pissed off" because of something related to their setlists. If a concert/band is actually making you angry .... jeez, maybe it's time to let them go.

Normally I'd think that people who say "pissed off" in these cases are exaggerating, but knowing U2 fans, it doesn't really surprise me. Frustration? Yeah. Irritation? Okay! Pissed off? Jeez.

I mean, jeez! Jeez.

Yeah, I know. Sometimes I feel (somewhat) the same way.

But I still would never say I'm angry about it. Frustrated, yeah. But I just don't get the anger thing.

Oh well.

As you are no doubt well aware, I couldn't care less about setlists of concerts of which I am not attending.

However, it's their treatment of POP as the leper of their discography that angers me. It's their insistence on playing something from each of their albums except for POP. They played Scarlet and Love Rescue me, and that right there should invalidate any argument they have for not playing a POP song.

It's their constant jabs at the album, whether subtle or not, they make in the media. They're putting down an entire body of work and that, to me, is grounds for getting more than just frustrated.

That's a fair point. I mean, I'd just chalk it up to the fact that the album didn't do so hot here in the States, but hell, if they're playing obscure stuff like "Scarlet" or "Love Rescue Me", then it does make their lack of songs from that album on the tour a bit odd, yes. Besides, who knows, what people didn't like in 1997 they may well like now.

GAF, no kidding. I find a lot of that hard to believe, too, based on what I've seen of her (my sister watches stuff on Disney a lot, too), but like you said, who knows.

Either way, it is a shame, especially at that age, and I'm sorry she's going through that, and do hope she gets better. And I'm sorry you and other fans of hers have to witness someone whose work you enjoy falling apart like that, too :(.

Angela

just remember ('member)
brothers (brothers)
sisters (sisters)
you can still stand tall.
just be thankful...
for what you got

It's their constant jabs at the album, whether subtle or not, they make in the media. They're putting down an entire body of work and that, to me, is grounds for getting more than just frustrated.

now i get where you're coming from. in the past i thought maybe you were joining in on setlist bitching for shows that you are not attending. now i know better, and for the record, i completely agree. Pop is a great album, it's a shame that it's held in such low regard by the band.

The thing that really frustrates me about EYIKIW is the lack of musical context. It seems that the majority of contributors there listen almost exclusively to U2, or perhaps only to a similar band such as Muse in addition to U2. Therefore, a lot of the assessments about what is "daring," "adventurous," or even worth-while become difficult to take seriously. For example, I have seen multiple posts that claim that "Magnificent" is an electronica track or that "Fez-Being Born" pushes the musical envelope. Then, when someone challenges those claims based on a more diversified musical corpus, an argument ensues based on the disparity in musical exposure. The problem is that those types of arguments cannot be resolved.

It's not that I dislike anyone over there or feel that the forum lacks honesty or intelligence. It does not even really frustrate me that the discussions are redundant. The frustration stems from the arguments being fundamentally irreconcilable, and that people fail to recognize that despite frequently exclaiming that music subjective.

this, this, a million times this.

i started a thread in there a little while back, asking 1) are U2 your favourite band (for me, yes) and 2) are they your favourite band of the past 10-15 years (for me, no.) because certainly in this forum we all agree that we love U2, but their past decade or so has been one of the worst (for lack of a much better word) stretches of their career.

i got attacked by EYKIW, i was called elitist and a snob (neither of which bother me, i couldn't give a fuck about being called names on an internet forum) because i was "looking down" on people who say U2 are their favourite both of all time and the past 10-15 years.

if some of these people actually broadened their musical horizons instead of, like you said, listening exclusively to U2 and Snow Patrol, they would find some great music. but they won't listen to reason. it's U2 or nothing. you try to explain that there's been other great music out there and no discussion eventuates, people in that forum just completely overreact.

and then i had the nerve to say that i enjoyed Outkast's output in this time (Aquemini/Stankonia/Speakerboxxx/Love Below) more than U2's (Pop/Atty Club/Hut Dab). and wasn't i just completely wrong about that! "Hip-hop is not even music", i read, and then walked out.

this is what i don't get about some people. the people who can say with a straight face shit like "'i've listened to at least one u2 album a day for 20 years" or even worse, "i could listen to only them for the rest of my life and never get tired of it" kinda stuff.

for the first one, pick any band i like, i guarantee there's been several months where the last thing i wanted to do was listen to them. no matter how many albums or how varied their music is i get tired of them and can't listen to them for a while.

and the second, i don't remember if anyone's said that specifically but i know i've read some similar type stuff said before, and wow. even someone like me who probably doesn't have a wildly varied taste in music, even liking some bands as much as i do, i could not and would not only want to listen to that one band for the rest of my life. there's the aforementioned oversaturation points, but also, why? i fucking love filet mignon. do i want to eat it every day for the rest of my life? hell no. i wouldn't be able to appreciate it as much as i do now if i did that.

add in the whole barely mentioning u2 and it somehow qualifies to be posted there and that's pretty much why i rarely post there.

i'm feeling like i treat the tour forums and eykiw like i treat fym.

usually i'm in and out just to say something i find witty (but usually isn't actually), sometimes i may stick around a bit longer and try to contribute something worthwhile.

i then end up wondering why i even bothered in the first place.

Haha, damn, I forgot about that.

Perhaps it's a love/hate thing.

They say there's a thin line between love and hate. Or some such cliche like that.

this, this, a million times this.

i started a thread in there a little while back, asking 1) are U2 your favourite band (for me, yes) and 2) are they your favourite band of the past 10-15 years (for me, no.) because certainly in this forum we all agree that we love U2, but their past decade or so has been one of the worst (for lack of a much better word) stretches of their career.

i got attacked by EYKIW, i was called elitist and a snob (neither of which bother me, i couldn't give a fuck about being called names on an internet forum) because i was "looking down" on people who say U2 are their favourite both of all time and the past 10-15 years.

if some of these people actually broadened their musical horizons instead of, like you said, listening exclusively to U2 and Snow Patrol, they would find some great music. but they won't listen to reason. it's U2 or nothing. you try to explain that there's been other great music out there and no discussion eventuates, people in that forum just completely overreact.

and then i had the nerve to say that i enjoyed Outkast's output in this time (Aquemini/Stankonia/Speakerboxxx/Love Below) more than U2's (Pop/Atty Club/Hut Dab). and wasn't i just completely wrong about that! "Hip-hop is not even music", i read, and then walked out.

I read through that entire thread again and I didn't see much to be pissed off at all. :shrug:

Most of the posts in that thread seemed perfectly reasonable to me.

for the first one, pick any band i like, i guarantee there's been several months where the last thing i wanted to do was listen to them. no matter how many albums or how varied their music is i get tired of them and can't listen to them for a while.

Exactly. :up:

I think I should leave this thread now before I get bashed. :uhoh:

However, it's their treatment of POP as the leper of their discography that angers me. It's their insistence on playing something from each of their albums except for POP. They played Scarlet and Love Rescue me, and that right there should invalidate any argument they have for not playing a POP song.

I just wanted to chime in again with support for Pop. It is my favorite U2 album. The rawness and honesty are striking, and "Mofo" and "Please," I think, are Bono's strongest claims to having moments of genuinely great lyrics. The latter ranks among the most poignant political songs that I have ever heard; it is just as relevant now as it was in 1997.

Maybe the album represents a painful time that Bono does not care to revisit, or maybe his current persona cannot afford the cynicism and self-doubt that the album expresses. But, as you say, it is unfortunate that they insist on it being the black sheep of the discography.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom