Random Music Talk XXII: GAF, Hitman of Shitty Opening Acts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
And seriously laz, Crazy Tonight bugs you more than say Wild Honey?? Also, I love how we're talking U2 in the random music thread on a U2 forum for fuck's sake.

Well, for some people 'round these parts, it's preferable over going into the other parts of the forum, where the arguments are rage-inducing, ridiculous and repeat themselves every four days.

This is where a few people choose to have their ridiculous and repetitive arguments every ... oh .... twenty days or so. :)

The repetitive arguments don't come up nearly as much as they claim, and plenty of us don't feed said arguments.

Hey, you don't have to tell me that - I still participate over there. I was just giving the explanation as to why U2 comes up frequently here.

And seriously laz, Crazy Tonight bugs you more than say Wild Honey?? Also, I love how we're talking U2 in the random music thread on a U2 forum for fuck's sake.

Wild Birdie is slight, but inoffensive. Cock Crazy, which actually has a palatable melody, has those two unholy wheezy lines (e.g. "haven't herrrrd") that are nails-on-chalkboard irritating sonically and groan-inducing when the vocal approach is contemplated.

Even worse is the most generic middle-eight both lyrically and melodically that is so far beneath this band it's disgusting. The latter could be from a Bon Jovi song and it wouldn't sound any different.

Let me write it out here, in case you've forgotten:

Baby baby baby
I know I'm not alone
(repeat)

Fucking pathetic.

Maybe those lines aren't anything special, but I happen to really enjoy the way Bono sings the I'm not alone part.

Do you like the remix?

The repetitive arguments don't come up nearly as much as they claim, and plenty of us don't feed said arguments.

If the repetitive arguments are nonexistent, why does nearly every thread in EYKIW/HTDAAAAANAMANJDJUENEJCNV feature a post that says something like ":doh: Here we go again..."?

Personally, I consider it an inevitability when only one band with a dozen or so albums is up for discussion. But I would prefer to recycle those arguments in the company of people with a collective IQ higher than the number of albums in U2's discography.

To be fair, insulting the majority of the forum is a time honored B&C staple.

If someone has the lucidity to take a step back and discuss what's wrong with this forum, I would never insult them.

Does that mean I'm insulting the majority of the forum? Yes, I would say that I am. But I would argue that the majority of people on the internet are well-meaning, unaware and not contributing a whole lot. That's hardly unique to Interference.

PH24: I think the Cock Crazy remix is great, but as I've stated before, that's because it sounds 90% the same as Discocoque. Which begs the question, why not just play the latter instead of disowning it?

Are we seriously arguing over whether or not most people on this forum are sycophants, idiots, and/or philistines? Come on. Given a couple minutes any of us could quote about 10 inane posts by venturing into any thread in The Place That Shall Not Be Named. There's a little more than a handful of people (plus our friends in here) who ever post any kind of original or intelligent thought. And it's just not worth wading through the broken record cheerleading, the straw man arguments, etc. to read the rare exceptions.

And then there's PHEBH. Need I say more?

Oh, leave PLEBA out of it.

And I didn't feel insulted. I often find that place ten kinds of aggravating, but it's my own damn fault I can't seem to stay away. (Probably because most days it doesn't actually bother me.)

Oh, leave PLEBA out of it.

And I didn't feel insulted. I often find that place ten kinds of aggravating, but it's my own damn fault I can't seem to stay away. (Probably because most days it doesn't actually bother me.)

Seconded.

I really don't get the constant jabs at PLEBA, either, but eh, those who don't like it don't go there anyway, so...*Shrugs*.

Angela

The thing that really frustrates me about EYIKIW is the lack of musical context. It seems that the majority of contributors there listen almost exclusively to U2, or perhaps only to a similar band such as Muse in addition to U2. Therefore, a lot of the assessments about what is "daring," "adventurous," or even worth-while become difficult to take seriously. For example, I have seen multiple posts that claim that "Magnificent" is an electronica track or that "Fez-Being Born" pushes the musical envelope. Then, when someone challenges those claims based on a more diversified musical corpus, an argument ensues based on the disparity in musical exposure. The problem is that those types of arguments cannot be resolved.

It's not that I dislike anyone over there or feel that the forum lacks honesty or intelligence. It does not even really frustrate me that the discussions are redundant. The frustration stems from the arguments being fundamentally irreconcilable, and that people fail to recognize that despite frequently exclaiming that music subjective.

To be fair, Cock--Being Engorged is experimental in context with the band we're talking about, especially considering their two previous albums. I feel like I just made this defense a week ago, but while these sounds may be from territory previously explored, this recent track still seems daring to me because it's some 50 year-old guys doing it. The lack of a verse-chorus-verse structure alone is surprising coming from the band at this point, so I don't think it's fair to judge it against all their other work. After Cockengers, there's not much more they can do that's going to sound wholly new. What we can hope for is that they keep making the occasional left turn instead of simply playing it safe.

Fair point. I guess that the point that I was trying to make is this: if one only listens to U2, then Fez-BB is an experimental track. If one listens to a lot of music beyond U2, then it is a fairly straight-forward rock song with an Eno piece affixed to the front.

Also, during this Sunday Night Football game I've seen the Los Camp beer commercial as well as Shuttlecock's Christmas Birdie (Please Stay In) as a commercial lead-out.

I might be the only person you make laugh with "Christmas Birdie," but I'll be damned if I'm not laughing hard.

Let's be fair, as marketable rock bands go, U2 has far more experimentation in their career than almost any other. Let's not get into the kind of 'music' fans that think Viva La Vida was an experimental album.

Cinese asleep Chant was the good glued together track, Reign of Love was barf-inducing.

Look at me, slinging stones at CP in here and defending them in the other thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom