Random Music Talk XXII: GAF, Hitman of Shitty Opening Acts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm listening to that right now, Shoutter. It's...something. But you said you really believe it's the best thing you've ever heard, and I don't doubt you.

The language is just so...man, I dunno. It's just incredible. So tangible, and so visceral. Vaguely sexual, too. Weird, wild stuff. No joke. There's such a powerful, concerted psychosis to it, but it doesn't seem random or free-associative. It's clearly poetic and rigorously composed. I really enjoy how the lyrical flow almost perfectly matches the music, in that regard. So awesome.

GAF, this is not specifically directed at the video that you posted, but is it possible that the music video is the least sophisticated art form ever developed? I can think of perhaps three or four music videos that I have ever found interesting in any way.

Ha, I don't know about least sophisticated art form. I guess a lot of them these days are devoid of creativity. But I like the ones that have pretty girls in them.

GAF, you seem to be an admirer of the pop scene in general. Do you mind if I ask how you feel about Katy Perry?

As a person, I think she's absolutely adorable. She seems like a genuine sweetheart in every interview I've seen her in. Gorgeous girl. One of the best pairs of celebrity boobs to come along in a while. And she's friends with Taylor, which is always good for me.

As for her music...eh. Not as keen on that. I only know her singles. I'm a fan of two of them: Hot N Cold (which is easily the best track I've heard by her), and the more recent Teenage Dream.

It was definitely a shrewd move to come out with a career debut single about making out with another girl. Although that song is not very good.

So, I wish her all success. Seems like a nice gal. And I actually think her and Russell Brand are probably a good fit, and I hope their marriage lasts.

Damn, that's cool. I wonder if I'll ever get my shit together and put myself in a position where I'd be at a celebrity wedding.

Because, let me tell you, if I was somehow at Miranda Lambert's wedding, shit would go down. I'd leave the reception having either gotten myself a record deal or locked in jail. Or both.

As for her music...eh. Not as keen on that. I only know her singles. I'm a fan of two of them: Hot N Cold (which is easily the best track I've heard by her), and the more recent Teenage Dream.

I do like the song "Teenage Dream." I don't want to like it, but the hook is impossible catchy.

Very true. The lyrics to both are just so dreadful, though. I do think that she shows some vocal nuance in "Teenage Dream" of which I did not think she was capable. The verses have a very subtle delivery.

GAF, this is not specifically directed at the video that you posted, but is it possible that the music video is the least sophisticated art form ever developed? I can think of perhaps three or four music videos that I have ever found interesting in any way.

I have to disagree with you here, if the video's are done right at any rate.

The original Tron has been buried by Disney because it's fucking awful, and they like, actually want people to go see their new movie.

It's not that bad. Story's pretty ridiculous, but I'm kind of blown away that this came out in 1982

I went to an intimate Cotton Jones gig in a church today.

Seriously, their lead singer played a song at her sister's wedding. No idea what it was, but it was instrumental and probably nothing. We talked about Harry Nilsson at the reception and I congratulated him on making Consequence of Sound's year-end list. Fun times, but I'm no fan. I'm sure the guy who runs cottonjonesgigs.com was wetting himself over the potential for snippetry.

i'll never buy any of KAty Perry's music... but her singles have been, by and large, very catchy. Waking up in Vegas is great.

my GOD she is hot.

heh.

steve earle was in that show at some point, right? i never really watched it.

Yeah, he played Bubbles' rehab sponsor in a couple of seasons. Did a pretty good job. Fucking incredible TV show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom