Random Music Talk XLVIII: Like Tennessee Williams, we wait for The CLICK!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LemonMelon

More 5G Than Man
Without Cobbler around, I don't think we have much incentive to make new threads, but I was afraid of Laz making a rambling New Years Day reference.

David Comes To Life by Fucked Up is probably the most fun I've had listening to a hard rock album since Titus Andronicus became my new favorite band in the field last year. It's 77 minutes long, but for a post-hardcore album is saddled with impeccable hooks, and it never wavers from being catchy and altogether thrilling. Not something I'm going to play all the time, just a whole lot of the time.

It's like Free Energy and Husker do got it on while some obnoxious screaming guy watched.

...I can't understand what you're getting at? Are you suggesting p4k like cockpunches? or that the album should have had a lower score?

You might not be aware, but a punch to the cock isn't a good thing.

7.4 is a bullshit score, it's somewhere in the 8s, easily. They might agree, I can't really tell what they think of the album from the review tbh.

What I mean is, would a higher score earn them more cockpunches? Should they quickly lower the score to earn themselves zero cockpunches?

Does the word "earn" necessarily imply the acquisition of something positive? Considering my supreme taste in music, why would I reward them for giving El Camino a low score anyway?

Go back to work!

I'm just saying, if they've been threatened so many cockpunches, they better lower the score before you can follow through:p

I have 6 minutes left on my break:p

bono_212 said:
I'm just saying, if they've been threatened so many cockpunches, they better lower the score before you can follow through:p

I have 6 minutes left on my break:p

:p

Seriously, I have no idea what the hell was going on in that review. They seemed to have fun writing it, but it's almost entirely illegible. There are words, but they mean nothing. At least the Camp review had core complaints.

Wow, that Pitchfork review of Camp is fucking HARSH.

It seems like the reviewer has probably over-thought things. Which we all do at times, but then you compound that with the fact that he's clearly bitter about Glover's one line on the album that mentions Pitchfork...like he's out for revenge on that innocuous lyric...and we arrive at another in a long line of shit reviews from that website.

Best thread title yet.

And it seems as though Pitchfork has always been tepid on The Black Keys. Most, if not all, of their albums have received somewhere in the middling sevens.

I got up early, put my gym clothes on, and then sat in front of my computer and listened to music instead of going to the gym. I do not regret my decision. The guitar in Motorcycle Emptiness is still awesome.

Does the word "earn" necessarily imply the acquisition of something positive? Considering my supreme taste in music, why would I reward them for giving El Camino a low score anyway?

Go back to work!

It was the 1:1 ratio of score to cockpunches that she is referring to. Unless 7.4 is somehow the midway point

Didn't they gave Brothers a score in the 7's as well? Oh well, it is what it is, at the end of the day it's just one bozo's personal opinion.

The El Camino review is arguably the worst piece of professional or professional-masquerade writing that I have ever seen. The self-indulgence is absurd.

at the end of the day it's just one bozo's personal opinion.

Wisdom. This man has it.

I wish I had the willpower to literally not give a fuck about what anybody else thinks of the artists I care about. Even though I know how stupid it is to let one bozo's personal opinion get to me, it still happens sometimes. Even though it shouldn't, it still stings a bit when someone talks shit about Eddie Vedder's singing voice, or calls Leighton Meester a bad actor, or calls T. Swift ugly, or an album I like gets pissed on in the press.

I shouldn't care. At all. I don't know these people, and I never will. And yet here I am. I think I'm getting a bit better at ignoring all that stuff but, yeah.

Where the fuck is Shouter when you need him?

EDIT: This is my emo post for the day. My next post will be about how I'm going to get really drunk tonight and have a lot of fun dancing and singing and laughing until the sun comes up.

Wisdom. This man has it.

I wish I had the willpower to literally not give a fuck about what anybody else thinks of the artists I care about. Even though I know how stupid it is to let one bozo's personal opinion get to me, it still happens sometimes. Even though it shouldn't, it still stings a bit when someone talks shit about Eddie Vedder's singing voice, or calls Leighton Meester a bad actor, or calls T. Swift ugly, or an album I like gets pissed on in the press.

I shouldn't care. At all. I don't know these people, and I never will. And yet here I am. I think I'm getting a bit better at ignoring all that stuff but, yeah.

Where the fuck is Shouter when you need him?

EDIT: This is my emo post for the day. My next post will be about how I'm going to get really drunk tonight and have a lot of fun dancing and singing and laughing until the sun comes up.

For me for some reason it's easier to not be annoyed by the opinion of some random journalist I don't know, but harder to not be annoyed by a disagreeing opinion of someone I do know or interact with.

Jive Turkey said:
It was the 1:1 ratio of score to cockpunches that she is referring to. Unless 7.4 is somehow the midway point

There's a specific line at which point the 1:1 ratio is utilized. For instance, the ratio wouldn't have corresponded so directly if it had received a 7.7, whereas any score below that would require it.

I suppose that line is relative to the quality of the album being reviewed, which means I need to work out a more concrete system. Also, a means of doling out fractions of cockpunches. It wouldn't be a fair system if I had to round up or down.

Wow, Gaga's new music video premiered last night. "Marry The Night." It's 13 + minutes long, I'm four minutes into it and it's awesome. This is her best video since "Telephone" and I'm not even a third of the way through.

I'm so glad she released that as a single. It's the best song on that album, for sure.

Dude, watch the video. It's really good.

Well, actually I'm just gonna go bump the Gaga thread.

Eh, it gets a little bit less interesting in the middle section. She gets naked and starts pouring Cheerios all over herself. Then it turns into a typical dance music video with her choreographed routine and all that. Those first 5 minutes are dope, though. And the last minute or so is cool.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom