Random Music Talk XLVIII: Like Tennessee Williams, we wait for The CLICK!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hey guys, I know what we can talk about:

Just listened to Bomb. I liked it. Every song is catchy as hell and I like nearly all of them. The production is unspeakably horrible and Bono is at his worst in all facets, but as a songwriter I can appreciate the fact that they crafted such a strong set of songs. Also, Edge sounds great, even if he is totally mailing it in. He does what he does, but does it very well. That really low, bassy guitar riff he plays on the verses in Crumbs is badass.

I can totally see how the uninitiated like the album: if you come back to it infrequently, you won't notice how sonically uninteresting it is. For fans, that's not so much the case, but I think they overreact negatively to it sometimes.

cobl04 said:
One Step Closer is criminally underrated.

Definitely starting to agree with this. I'd say it's the only song on Bomb that's grown on me.

Crumbs still rocks as much as it did the first day I heard it, shame about the double-tracked vocals though.

as ridiculously awful as the red solo cup thing was, it's still nowhere near as annoying as that party rockers in the house song. the latter still makes me want to slaughter small animals, whereas the former just makes me wish toby keith would go away (he does have a couple songs that i've found amusing, and i willingly admit to having on my ipod. but he has far more that range from mildly irritating to entirely unbearable, and he needs to go away).

Just listened to Bomb. I liked it. Every song is catchy as hell and I like nearly all of them. The production is unspeakably horrible and Bono is at his worst in all facets, but as a songwriter I can appreciate the fact that they crafted such a strong set of songs. Also, Edge sounds great, even if he is totally mailing it in. He does what he does, but does it very well. That really low, bassy guitar riff he plays on the verses in Crumbs is badass.

I can totally see how the uninitiated like the album: if you come back to it infrequently, you won't notice how sonically uninteresting it is. For fans, that's not so much the case, but I think they overreact negatively to it sometimes.

Nice to hear the good words, and I agree with most of what you said. But I'll take issue with the criticism of Boner, simply in that he's not bad, lyrically or vocally throughout the entire album. Sometimes... is my least favorite on there, but it's totally sold by the vocal, as the music is about as boring as could be imagined. I'd argue that he also is what makes Miracle Drug as great as it is (well that, and Hedge's vocal cameo).

I also like how much energy he seems to have on this album: the scream before the solo in ABOY, the "Hey"" after the last chorus on Crumbs, and the "No!" after one of the "You don't have to be shy about it" refrains on OOTS. And that doesn't even include what he's putting out on Squirtigo.

I also agree with Cobbler about OSC, but it would be nice if the song was a little longer and actually went somewhere. Too bad they never released that other, longer version we heard about.

#postsfrom2005

lazarus said:
Nice to hear the good words, and I agree with most of what you said. But I'll take issue with the criticism of Boner, simply in that he's not bad, lyrically or vocally throughout the entire album. Sometimes... is my least favorite on there, but it's totally sold by the vocal, as the music is about as boring as could be imagined. I'd argue that he also is what makes Miracle Drug as great as it is (well that, and Hedge's vocal cameo).

I also like how much energy he seems to have on this album: the scream before the solo in ABOY, the "Hey"" after the last chorus on Crumbs, and the "No!" after one of the "You don't have to be shy about it" refrains on OOTS. And that doesn't even include what he's putting out on Squirtigo.

I also agree with Cobbler about OSC, but it would be nice if the song was a little longer and actually went somewhere. Too bad they never released that other, longer version we heard about.

Bear in mind, calling it Bono's worst doesn't necessarily mean it's awful, just a step down from what he's capable of. He wrote a lot of those lyrics hastily between important world-saving meetings of his, and rushed the vocals in a handful of takes (I heard he sang some of them on his back due to some back troubles that pre-dated the great back throwout of 2010), so that had a lot to do with it.

I want to reiterate that Edge is very, very good on Bomb. He could have shone even brighter had they integrated some of the Chris Thomas material.

Does anyone like that new Yellow song with that guy on the beach?

#postsfrom2000

the whaaaaaaaaa-aaaaaaaahhh's always annoyed the shit out of me.

Hey, guys, I just discovered this place. Everything You Know Is Wrong is a great place full of sensible, rational, people. Plus, there's an endless amount of civil discourse there.

#postsfromnever

Hey, guys, I just discovered this place. Just the Bang and Clatter is a great place full of sensible, rational, people. Plus, there's an endless amount of civil discourse there.

#postsfromnever

/trollface

lazarus said:

Wait, there was barely any Shuttlecockification here... Is this an end of an era?

Back
Top Bottom