Random Music Talk XLVIII: Like Tennessee Williams, we wait for The CLICK!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Elfa is saying he hates breakfast cereal. All Canadians hate breakfast cereal. God dammit. If you guys didn't have Bieber up there, I'd be invading the LIVING FUCK out of your country. Claiming victims.

u2popmofo said:
I got up early, put my gym clothes on, and then sat in front of my computer and listened to music instead of going to the gym. I do not regret my decision. The guitar in Motorcycle Emptiness is still awesome.

I love that song very much. Not a big fan of The Holy Bible, so I've never explored anything else by them, but I've always been curious if Motorcycle Emptiness was some strange one-off thing, or did they really ever sound like that for an entire album?

Not exactly what you're asking, but I wanted to mention that pretty much none of the rest of their material sounds like The Holy Bible (except for that second to last album where they tried to make themselves sound that way), so it's a very "poor" (despite being one of my all time favorite albums) example of everything else they've done. I don't know if there's necessarily anything that sounds exactly like Motorcycle Emptiness, but they have tons of great poppy rock songs. If you're a big fan of it, I honestly think you'd like a large amount of their catalogue.

Despite what the pretentious may say, I think their "best of" (Forever Delayed) is a fantastic place to start with them since we have no exposure at all to any of their music here in the US. You get a taste of most of their biggest singles, and other great songs. Faster's the only track from The Holy Bible even on it.

If you don't want to listen to that, Lifeblood actually seems like a type of album that might be up your alley taste wise, despite it also not exactly being "Manic Street Preachers by the numbers", or really sounding anything like Motorcycle Emptiness at all. Very cool retro '80's theme throughout the album. Here's one of my favs from it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jO0FDySoBpM

This is awesome (yet sad that nothing will change):

As Business Insider reports (via Billboard), due to a class action settlement originally filed in 2003, Ticketmaster is being forced to pay back its customers for the questionable "processing fees" it has taken for over a decade. If you used the service to purchase tickets between October 21, 1999 and October 19, 2011, you're entitled to a $1.50 credit per ticket order on up to 17 orders per customer. And if you had UPS deliver the tickets, you'll receive an additional $5.00 credit per ticket. Big money, big money. If customers claim less than $11.25 million, Ticketmaster will donate the rest to charity.

To join the settlement, go to this website.

However, the settlement won't change the way Ticketmaster does business. They'll now have to disclose on their website that they are indeed profitting off processing fees.

Ticketmaster Forced to Give Back Some of the Money They Stole From You | News | Pitchfork

coincidentally, I heard Just Dance playing in a store an hour or so ago and realized I barely even remember there's a second half to the song. Once that rapper starts I usually just tune out.

Someone at a business dinner just told me she was on a flight with Bohnoh this week. This is the second time she's seen him in an every day life situation and of course she has no interest in him except she likes his humanitarian causes. Then everyone at the table started asking me questions like why is he called 'Bono' and what's his real name and is he married and who is his wife and and how tall is he and they thought it was just hilarious that I could answer these questions. They may have been making fun of me. :sad:

I like cereal.

Bono is 5'5" at best.

I get asked those questions from time to time by family members. They think it's funny that I know how old he is and how tall he is and shit like that. Whatever. I also know that Bryan Devendorf is 6'7", but no one seems interested in that tidbit.

I said 5'6 plus thick soled shoes. But maybe I should have said including thick-soled shoes.

And then I remembered that several other people at the table had seen him in a Dublin hotel bar. And none of these people can even name a U2 song. :angry:

I actually no longer know how tall I am, I realized. I haven't been to the doctor's in nearly three years, which was the last time I got properly measured.

Now that I think about it, I should probably get back to the doctor at some point.

You've got a record player in your car?! Imperor will be jealous.

It was difficult convincing Steve he couldn't have the passenger seat at first, but she eventually won him over.

r6yue4w5y4ry54.jpg

That's my actual gloved hand.

I actually no longer no how tall I am, I realized. I haven't been to the doctor's in nearly three years, which was the last time I got properly measured.

Now that I think about it, I should probably get back to the doctor at some point.

The egregious out-of-character error in this post indicates you should get to the doctor sooner rather than later.

I actually make those mistakes a lot more often than it would seem. I usually catch them, though. It happens with "one" and "won" a lot.

coincidentally, I heard Just Dance playing in a store an hour or so ago and realized I barely even remember there's a second half to the song. Once that rapper starts I usually just tune out.
yes. i wish there was a rap-less version, but usually songs like that when they remove the rap just turn it into an instrumental break which ends up sounding so obvious. the only example i can think of off-hand is no doubt's underneath it all. but yeah. that rap just adds nothing to the song.

I love that song very much. Not a big fan of The Holy Bible, so I've never explored anything else by them, but I've always been curious if Motorcycle Emptiness was some strange one-off thing, or did they really ever sound like that for an entire album?

Yeah, Generation Terrorists is like that, pretty darn long but has some other cracking songs.

Not exactly what you're asking, but I wanted to mention that pretty much none of the rest of their material sounds like The Holy Bible (except for that second to last album where they tried to make themselves sound that way), so it's a very "poor" (despite being one of my all time favorite albums) example of everything else they've done. I don't know if there's necessarily anything that sounds exactly like Motorcycle Emptiness, but they have tons of great poppy rock songs. If you're a big fan of it, I honestly think you'd like a large amount of their catalogue.

Despite what the pretentious may say, I think their "best of" (Forever Delayed) is a fantastic place to start with them since we have no exposure at all to any of their music here in the US. You get a taste of most of their biggest singles, and other great songs. Faster's the only track from The Holy Bible even on it.

If you don't want to listen to that, Lifeblood actually seems like a type of album that might be up your alley taste wise, despite it also not exactly being "Manic Street Preachers by the numbers", or really sounding anything like Motorcycle Emptiness at all. Very cool retro '80's theme throughout the album. Here's one of my favs from it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jO0FDySoBpM

1985 is probably one of my favourite songs of the 2000s, it's that amazing. Lifeblood, although maligned by many for some reason, is an excellent album in my opinion.

Know Your Enemy is also a worthy album to check out, very underrated and they go disco on one of the tracks, which is absolutely hilarious and awesome at the same time ('Braindead motherfuckers' outro).

Hell, get all of their albums.

Back
Top Bottom