Random Music Talk XLVIII: Like Tennessee Williams, we wait for The CLICK!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
For those who don't have the pleasure of looking through the actual CD booklets, the Whigs always had really great artwork.

The album covers:

(Gentlemen)
51W5AZ69YCL.jpg

208f225b9da0bc9283f18110.L.jpg

(1965)
5099749148628.jpg

:wave:

Hi everyone.

Today I was prohibited from participating in the staff CD exchange that will happen at our Christmas lunch on Friday. :heart: It was a loving prohibition. I take it as a compliment.

Also, how much does a dvr cost, anyway? TCM is showing a movie I'd like to see tonight, but it goes too late for me (9:30!) and it's not available on Netflix. This has happened several times.

I was just looking through their covers, Laz, lol. the Creep one's ridiculously great. I couldn't find a studio cover of "Regret", a not sure one exists, but I was a tad disappointed that it was just a straight cover. When Doves Cry is cracked out as fuck. I love it. There are so many more covers of theirs I want to hear, and I have so little time.

martha said:
Today I was prohibited from participating in the staff CD exchange that will happen at our Christmas lunch on Friday. :heart: It was a loving prohibition. I take it as a compliment.

They'll have to find someone else to help them reach their Under The Mistletoe quota.

Task Force?

That was an actual Perry Mason tv movie title, by the way. Great name.

I was just looking through their covers, Laz, lol. the Creep one's ridiculously great. I couldn't find a studio cover of "Regret", a not sure one exists, but I was a tad disappointed that it was just a straight cover. When Doves Cry is cracked out as fuck. I love it. There are so many more covers of theirs I want to hear, and I have so little time.

Yeah I have Regret on my iTunes but they never did a studio version.

They did cut Hole's Miss World though, as well as soul standard The Dark End of the Street, If I Only Had A Heart from the Wizard of Oz, and Al Green's Beware.

And I posted about this not too long ago, but Dulli's post-Whigs band The Twilight Singers actually put out a whole album of covers, including songs by Fleetwood Mac, Bjork, Marvin Gaye, Mary J. Blige, Mazzy Star, and some classic standards. The album is called She Loves You and it's a great listen. I think Cori checked it out and liked it?

The best Twilight Singers album IMO is Blackberry Belle. When this band is on, they rival some of the Whigs' best stuff:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFQUZ2kNsGc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80ss7hAm9Hc

Yeah, I did like what I heard. It's been on my Amazon wish list for a while, languishing amongst a buttload of other CDs I'll get around to buying eventually when some Marketplace seller has it for a cheap price.

Martha, call your cable provider to ask about your options for a DVR; it'll depend on the cable company. Mine's through Comcast and is maybe $12 a month? Or was for a promotional period, I don't quite remember. I think I had to upgrade to digital cable as well, although I might not be remembering the chain of events correctly.

Task Force?

Yes! We watched the whole damn thing! Terrible script, great movie. Gary Cooper. sigh

That was an actual Perry Mason tv movie title, by the way. Great name.

Those Perry Mason movies are unwatchable.

Martha, call your cable provider to ask about your options for a DVR; it'll depend on the cable company. Mine's through Comcast and is maybe $12 a month? Or was for a promotional period, I don't quite remember. I think I had to upgrade to digital cable as well, although I might not be remembering the chain of events correctly.

We have digital cable. 12 clams a month?! I thought you could just go buy one somewhere. Thanks for the info.

Anyway, someone remind me to watch/listen to all these music videos this weekend what Steve's out of town. I have to go to bed now.

Smith Westerns. This is a really good album. Gonna listen to Kaputt after this finishes again.

Kaputt. Wow. This was, like, perfect to chill out to before bed. I can't even put into words how much I liked this.

Well she's show showing it off then
The glitter in her lovely eyes
Show show showing it off then
And all the people shake their money in time
She sells heart, she sells meat
Oh dad, she's driving me mad, come see

:heart: Fuck yeah, Suede.

Someone posted this on facebook and my mind asploded all over the screen.
(Courtesy of Neil DeGrasse Tyson)

12 + 1 = 11 + 2

Big deal you say? Well "twelve plus one" is an anagram for "eleven plus two"

pppsshhhhhhkkkkkkkkkeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

I listened to Kaputt once again this morning to see if I might like it today. After about a dozen listens since it came out, I have given up. I guess this is one for the unpopular musical opinions thread but I cannot for the life of me see the appeal. I really, really tried, though. :reject:

I'm honestly surprised that Kaputt was so well-received here; I personally love it, but it seems like a divisive record, as most deliberately nostalgic albums are.

It's got fucking saxophone all over it. Pretty much the definition of a divisive indie album.

Second best album of the year though, maybe the best.

I really wanted to like the Kara Walker song since I like her so much, but it didn't happen.

I like saxophones.

Behar's form of hyper-literacy doesn't always sit well with people, either. Again, it's something that I appreciate, but I see how some people would find his lyrical approach maddening. Granted, Kaputt is much more straight-forward than something like Rubies.

I was surprised how many people didn't seem to know about Destroyer before this one. Rubies did pretty well review wise a few years back and wound up on a bunch of year end lists, and many of his early albums have a pretty big following. I'd assumed he was a bigger name than he actually was, I guess. Seems like most of the negativity just comes from people not actually liking his style or his voice, nothing to do with the album itself.

Back
Top Bottom