Random Music Talk XLVII: 'tis (almost) the season to be jolly. But not "joyful".

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
GirlsAloudFan said:
This new Real Estate album is pretty good. Nice, bright, arpeggiated (!) guitar playing, and I'm digging the vocals, too. The second track, "Green Aisles," was lovely, and it reminded me a bit of The Thrills. Does anybody remember The Thrills? Their debut album was pretty good.

Anyway, I doubt this Real Estate will end up being one of my most-listened to of the year, but it's good and could be really perfect if you're in the right mood.

Agreed. It's basically perfect for what it is and I'm surprised we haven't talked about it more.

They were great. I was never a huge fan but I felt like I got a new appreciation for them last night. They played Doolittle all the way through and then some other hits, which was great because that's pretty much all I know of the Pixies - Doolittle and hits.

yeah, i'm jealous. stupid tree.

It was also funny seeing all the old farts who probably hadn't been to a concert since the 90s wearing "outfits" involving hats and vests, jumping up and down during Debaser and then slumped against the wall exhausted by the 3rd song.
Note to hats and vests crowd: If you're too drunk to stand up before the headliners take the stage, and you're over 40 (and I'm being generous here), you need help.

i've seen those people. they make me laugh. oddly enough, the last show i went to where i was sitting near such people was the national. but the last time i saw springsteen there was a guy who stayed sitting on the floor (mostly because his wife told him to sit back down whenever he stood up) until the show started, because he had checked out of the hospital ama (he said they had wanted to keep him another day or two, i think he had 2 stents placed after having a heart attack a couple days before the boston shows) after missing 2 shows already and he was damned if he was going to miss another one. but that hardcore motherfucker stayed there at the barricade, singing along the entire show.

it's nice to know others sometimes have weird sleeping issues. [/SPOILER]

and with the internet, if you make e-friendz in different time zones, it's almost like it doesn't matter! as i've learned from experience...

eq1qs.jpg

This kid thought Born This Way was as big a disaster as I did, apparently.

Shit, cat. I was gonna go see Real Estate last night before an allergy attack. New album is dope.

and with the internet, if you make e-friendz in different time zones, it's almost like it doesn't matter! as i've learned from experience...

Speaking of which, I realized my Mac had AIM on it a year or so back, and I signed into my old account and briefly talked to both ILLM and Avsgirl. Haven't been on since, but it was cool to talk to both of them again.

Speaking of which, I realized my Mac had AIM on it a year or so back, and I signed into my old account and briefly talked to both ILLM and Avsgirl. Haven't been on since, but it was cool to talk to both of them again.

nice :up: every once in a while i do wonder what that crazy caliwhornian and (avsgirl never got a crazy nickname, did she) are up to these days.

i've seen those people. they make me laugh. oddly enough, the last show i went to where i was sitting near such people was the national.
I should point out that although I am technically one of the old farts myself, I stay relevant. You know, JUST LIKE U2.

As the clock rang out its midnight chime song, we circled up and prepared a listening experience paralleled with excitement. This was the U2 of the newness, and we would be getting just the one hearing and I am the fan.

Magnificent is a rolling rocker in the heavy styles of guitar ghosts from the far away past. Edge surfs the atomic skies and finds in himself the legendary power of mighty reverb. When he plays his solo, a mountain falls into the double trip of our revelations. Larry then hammers home the pulp with a quickening bump-thump that reminds one of Thor as he ascends to Valhalla. Adam sets the rumble tone with nimble kick-mixes in 5/8. (Someone has clearly been listening to early Hasselhof!) On the finally, Bono wears a noble cloak of silver as his voice explodes through a maze of silence. The end of the tune finds all 4 people of the band experiencing a telescope matinee, courtesy of Daniel Lanois' uncanny fine tuning.

I should point out that although I am technically one of the old farts myself, I stay relevant. You know, JUST LIKE U2.

:lol:

i'd rather be there than where i am, which is in that very odd place in the middle. it's the same at work. i'm either surrounded by 21 year old children who make me feel old, or my friend who's 40 and likes to remind me that i'm still a baby myself.

is everyone ignoring the lou reed and metallica thread in hope that it will just go away? or does no one else find it actually terrifying? how, out of any collaborative projects that have ever been ill-conceived that fortunately have not panned out--or ones that sounded interesting at least on paper yet never came to light--did that thing actually happen? i really don't want to hear it, but i'm afraid if that dude keeps bumping his youtube link thread, one of these days i am going to see it while excessively bored and click it. i don't want to know!

Good gods, that "Iced Honey" video is bloody hilarious. The contrast between the hyper-intensity of Lars and co. and the near-catatonia of Reed could not be more conspicuous.

It looks funny as fuck, but there's no way in hell the hilarity lasts for a full 90 minutes, which is why I haven't heard it yet.

This new Real Estate album is pretty good. Nice, bright, arpeggiated (!) guitar playing, and I'm digging the vocals, too. The second track, "Green Aisles," was lovely, and it reminded me a bit of The Thrills. Does anybody remember The Thrills? Their debut album was pretty good.

Anyway, I doubt this Real Estate will end up being one of my most-listened to of the year, but it's good and could be really perfect if you're in the right mood.
Agreed. It's basically perfect for what it is and I'm surprised we haven't talked about it more.
Shit, cat. I was gonna go see Real Estate last night before an allergy attack. New album is dope.
Shit, cats, I was literally (Ann Perkins!) about to sit down and listen to that new album. I'm listening to The Field right now. I will listen to Real Estate after that.

Also, fucking allergies, am I right? I'm actually fortunate that they're not bad when I'm at school, but springs back home are a fucking nightmare.

The Field's album is great too. Next month is going to be all re-listens and first listens to 2011 albums for me.

I had worse fall allergies than summer allergies this year. Strange. Friggin ragweed.

I have no allergies whatsoever.

Imps I just spoke to a bloke on the phone who wants Melbourne to partner with Austin to be a sister city for contemporary live music.

cobl04 said:
Imps I just spoke to a bloke on the phone who wants Melbourne to partner with Austin to be a sister city for contemporary live music.

The last thing we need is all the bums playing didgeridoos.

Back
Top Bottom