Random Music Talk XLVII: 'tis (almost) the season to be jolly. But not "joyful".

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Imps, I'm liking Camp, by the way. A lot more than any of the other tracks I had heard from him before. I think it's a lot stronger.

At first I couldn't really get past a lot of the things about his delivery and lyrics, but it's definitely grown on me.

On my second listen right now, and the entire first half of the album is really good and flows together nicely. "Fire Fly" is probably my favorite song right now.

Yup, it's good stuff. "Fire Fly" is on some Kanye shit. Glad you're enjoying it. I probably enjoy the EP from earlier in the year more, but this new one is still a lot of fun. And I love that Justice knockoff on "Heartbeat."

Speaking of which: Childish Gambino – “Heartbeat” 11/15 Conan | The Audio Perv

joyfulgirl said:
I had not seen the Pixies since they opened for U2 during ZooTV, which made it extra special tonight when they gave a nod to U2 by playing Wave of Mutilation twice.

haha.

if we hadn't had a snowstorm, and a tree hadn't bitten a chunk out of my car (damn thing is still in the shop), i would have seen them when they played CT. for free, too, since my brother found himself with a spare ticket and no ride to the show (the friend with the car bailed, only reason i got called). stupid new england weather.

u2popmofo said:
I have many not so fond memories of caffeinated soda-filled nights of fluff-filled paper writing.

i have many caffeinated memories of avoiding writing papers as well, and many of the college homework-avoiding memories include you, cujo, headache, and the old randoooom crowd on AIM. you know, cos back then chat threads were, like, discouraged and stuff.

Thanks Jive Turkey. I am to please

Prince is coming to my area. :heart: I hate that it's in Tacoma, but I'm going to try and get a ticket. Hope they're not ridiculously expensive, as I'd rather have a good seat, as the sound in that place is horrendous in the cheap seats.

I love Prince. He has one of the most beautiful voices in the world. You must go and see him. You're a very lucky girl

haha.

if we hadn't had a snowstorm, and a tree hadn't bitten a chunk out of my car (damn thing is still in the shop), i would have seen them when they played CT. for free, too, since my brother found himself with a spare ticket and no ride to the show (the friend with the car bailed, only reason i got called). stupid new england weather.

They were great. I was never a huge fan but I felt like I got a new appreciation for them last night. They played Doolittle all the way through and then some other hits, which was great because that's pretty much all I know of the Pixies - Doolittle and hits.

Gouge Away was particularly awesome.

Still a lot of tension between Francis and Kim. He was kinda mean to her, actually, but didn't she diss U2 on the ZooTV tour or something? Which makes me automatically like him better? Even though I don't know anything about any of them or their conflicts, only that they don't get along.

It was also funny seeing all the old farts who probably hadn't been to a concert since the 90s wearing "outfits" involving hats and vests, jumping up and down during Debaser and then slumped against the wall exhausted by the 3rd song.
Note to hats and vests crowd: If you're too drunk to stand up before the headliners take the stage, and you're over 40 (and I'm being generous here), you need help.

I went to a U2 concert where a guy who was furiously screaming for Kings of Leon to be removed from the stage so he could see U2 essentially passed out 5 songs into U2's set.

u2popmofo said:
I went to a U2 concert where a guy who was furiously screaming for Kings of Leon to be removed from the stage so he could see U2 essentially passed out 5 songs into U2's set.

Lol, i stood in GA line all day next to this couple and somehow ended up next to them in GA as well, they drank 3 overpriced beers each during Interpol and I guess started to feel sick or something because they left right before U2 went on... What a waste...

Oh, that's funny.

And sorry about the creepy links. Numbers stations are fucking weird, but most of the creepy stuff I've found is faker than cobbler's street cred.

It's classic. I predict a number of hats & vests were vomited on before the night was over.

Although I have to say I did appreciate the effort at upgrading the wardrobe from the usual NM fall uniform purchased at REI. People here are so goofy it makes me laugh. /NYC snob

Also, the venue is unbelievably goofy. If you want to drink alcohol, they put you in a cattle-type holding pen in the very back. I was amazed to see that thing packed like they were off to the stockyards. That people would rather be packed like sardines into a holding pen in the very very back of the venue so they can have a beer rather than move around freely up front without the beer is astounding to me. Whatever turns you on, I guess.

Other goofiness: someone put a child on his shoulders so they could see and three large security people pounced on them and put a stop to it immediately. Um, rock & roll anybody?

Oh, that's funny.

And sorry about the creepy links. Numbers stations are fucking weird, but most of the creepy stuff I've found is faker than cobbler's street cred.

I only ended up staying up a few hours later than normal, so not a big deal. :wink: Strangely, I was actually happy I read through that crap, as it's nice to know others sometimes have weird sleeping issues. I unfortunately came to the discussion days late though, and thus my comments looked like those of an insane person's.
What else is new? :happy:

Lol, i stood in GA line all day next to this couple and somehow ended up next to them in GA as well, they drank 3 overpriced beers each during Interpol and I guess started to feel sick or something because they left right before U2 went on... What a waste...

Maybe they were just so sickened by Interpol's boring magazine-reading-inducing performance that they decided to go home.

:angry:

When I first glanced at this post, I read it as "someone was screaming for Kings of Leon during U2." That would have been strange.

I only ended up staying up a few hours later than normal, so not a big deal. :wink: Strangely, I was actually happy I read through that crap, as it's nice to know others sometimes have weird sleeping issues. I unfortunately came to the discussion days late though, and thus my comments looked like those of an insane person's.
What else is new? :happy:

:therethere: Mofo.

Anyways, in regards to weird sleep issues, I've had scattered issues with insomnia in my life. I've never really had the sleep paralysis in regards to the "can't move" issue, but I have unfortunately had a few times in my life where I somehow open my eyes but am still sort of dreaming, and it makes for some screwed up hallucinations and the like.

From what I read, this is fairly common and why a lot of people who think they were abducted by UFOs, or visited by angels / ghosts / whatever, usually have some weird story of waking up and the figures being there and then some sort of time loss, etc. Essentially you have your eyes open, but are not awake enough to comprehend basic things your eyes are seeing while you're dreaming over the top of that.

I've had that happen, too. I guess in the realm of sleep disorders I've had them all, except for maybe narcolepsy (I had a high school teacher who used to fall asleep mid-sentence). Fortunately I sleep well now, usually.

Another explanation I've seen for UFO's/angels/whatevers is that it's sometimes a way of blocking a sexual abuse situation from the memory. There was a really creepy but great movie about that. Forget the title but starring Joseph Gordon-Levitt. I also used to know someone who had been abused but who had also apparently seen an alien, and I always wondered about that.

*Edit: actually that movie involved a coach/student deal not unlike the one currently in the news.

Mine mostly involved dreaming some sort of of white cloud was flying around my celling, and happened when I was in my mid-twenties and had graduated from college. I just always assumed I was waking up and seeing light from headlights in the parking lot moving across the ceiling, but my dreams turning it into something weird. I suppose a bird could have taken advantage of me when I was 26 though... :hmm:

Mine mostly involved dreaming some sort of of white cloud was flying around my celling, and happened when I was in my mid-twenties and had graduated from college. I just always assumed I was waking up and seeing light from headlights in the parking lot moving across the ceiling, but my dreams turning it into something weird. I suppose a bird could have taken advantage of me when I was 26 though... :hmm:

Oh, geesh, I think I misread what you wrote. I was thinking there was the one situation of eyes open/still asleep and dreaming, and a whole other situation that you did not (nor did I) experience involving aliens, etc. Sorry, I wasn't implying anything. :reject:

elevated_u2_fan said:
they drank 3 overpriced beers each during Interpol and I guess started to feel sick or something because they left right before U2 went on... What a waste...

What a waste. Why would you drink when you could be getting some reading done?

I know, I was just trying to make a stupid joke about something that's not very funny. I know you weren't alluding to that. The funny thing is that everything I've dreamed in those situations have been pretty stupid, and fairly easy to decipher what I really was probably seeing at the time. That said, they still absolutely terrified me at the time, and get me really paranoid and panicked to sleep sometimes.

What's the difference between sniffing a new born baby's head and the doctor sniffing his fingers afterward?

I know, I was just trying to make a stupid joke about something that's not very funny. I know you weren't alluding to that. The funny thing is that everything I've dreamed in those situations have been pretty stupid, and fairly easy to decipher what I really was probably seeing at the time. That said, they still absolutely terrified me at the time, and get me really paranoid and panicked to sleep sometimes.

Like somebody said, it's probably all stress-related.

This new Real Estate album is pretty good. Nice, bright, arpeggiated (!) guitar playing, and I'm digging the vocals, too. The second track, "Green Aisles," was lovely, and it reminded me a bit of The Thrills. Does anybody remember The Thrills? Their debut album was pretty good.

Anyway, I doubt this Real Estate will end up being one of my most-listened to of the year, but it's good and could be really perfect if you're in the right mood.

I'm pretty sure Bono's talking about the smell of a newborn's head a few days down the road, after a couple of baths, not straight out of the womb.

Even still... The baby has been basting for 9 months. You think a couple baths is going to do it?

Back
Top Bottom