Random Music Talk XLVI: No, studio Bad(minton) is NOT better than the live version.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why are people so into Blow Your Cock Down? It's clearly 2011 Boner singing (I can't believe this was even being debated), and musically sounds just as generic as All Because Of Cock, with none of the depth or layers found on the other AB tracks.

Downloading Wugazi as we speak.

Finally, I have just been notified of "No Shave November", which apparently exists in the States. What the hell is wrong with you all? It's "Movember".

Bloody seppos.

The new EMA b-side is dopeness.

cobl04 said:
Finally, I have just been notified of "No Shave November", which apparently exists in the States. What the hell is wrong with you all? It's "Movember".

They're both completely stupid and not funny. I'm all for encouraging facial hair growth in any form, but the November thing is dumb as shit.

Why are people so into Blow Your Cock Down? It's clearly 2011 Boner singing (I can't believe this was even being debated), and musically sounds just as generic as All Because Of Cock, with none of the depth or layers found on the other AB tracks.

It does have a bit of that "trying to make a '60s garage track" feel, like All Because of You, except to me it's a lot better, feels a bit dirtier, and the vocal melody is catchy as hell. Fun track.

It's probably not my favorite of the "new" tracks, but I like it a lot.

Also, let's examine your question a bit further. When you say "why are people so into Blow Your House Down" are you talking about people on this site? On Interference? Because let's not get it twisted, the majority of people on this site would like ANY new song that U2 releases, that features Bono singing on it. Anything. They'll eat it up.

There's also the freshness factor...with a lot of people, the fact that something is so new and shiny may cloud their judgment for a while and they'll love it no matter what. When it's brand new. It will take a while, some separation from the initial rush and excitement of hearing a new song by a favorite band, to get a better, more fair take on the songs.

Good point.

Luckily, the other new songs were fantastic, even though at times it appears Declan Gaffey went a little overboard on the 2011 additions.

Down All The Cocks is so, so good. While it may not have fit as well on Cockropa as Hedge's vocal, as a "song" I think I like it better. Great work from Boner there.

Two questions: Is this the same Blow Your House Down that was on the Axtung Beibi Outtakes? I loved that track, even though it was repetitive, and featured a plethora of Bongolese "lyrics".

Secondly, is the 2011 version of Even Better Than The Real Thing on the remiix CD?

I hope the Yeah Yeah Yeahs are up to something cool right now.

#justsayin

I ask out of sheer ignorance cause I obviously haven't been paying attention. Which SC song is reggae?

Wasn't their cover of Instant Karma reggaeish? I hardly even listen to it, but I'm thinking specifically of the intro. I don't think it's all that good, but that's what I thought of at the question.

My box set is still sitting patiently, all shrink-wrapped and beautiful, waiting while I have breakfast. I don't know what to listen to first!

Blow Your House Down isn't high on my list of expectations, because I think even listening to 20 minutes of that footage on the Rattle and Hum outtakes has turned me off it forever.

I also picked up the Smile sessions and the new Florence + the Machine album yesterday. In case I need a palate cleanser between discs today, I'll pop one of those in.

Also, I love how P-Fork gave The Smile Sessions "Best New Reissue", clearly a label created just to take a swipe at Shuttlecock.

That "award" has existed for quite some time now.

Just heard Kick, Push (yes this is how far behind I am when it comes to good hip-hop at times). Holy shit.

Kick Push II was better. Too bad he already sucks. Oh well, at least I got to see him while he didn't.

I prefer the Rattle and Hum outtake version of Blow Your House Down by a large margin.

There's also the freshness factor...with a lot of people, the fact that something is so new and shiny may cloud their judgment for a while and they'll love it no matter what. When it's brand new. It will take a while, some separation from the initial rush and excitement of hearing a new song by a favorite band, to get a better, more fair take on the songs.

Case in point: "Disappearing Act," which many in EYKIW were trumpeting as one the band's best songs ever when it was first released.

I entirely forgot about Disappearing Act. Listened to it a month or two back, and was like, "Oh yeah, this song".

It's a really cool set. Obviously it's much more expensive, but I like it more than any other "deluxe" version they've done prior. Laz's run down yesterday was spot on, they really delivered and payed tribute to it well for fans (despite the remix cd's and rehash). :wink:

It's a really cool set. Obviously it's much more expensive, but I like it more than any other "deluxe" version they've done prior. Laz's run down yesterday was spot on, they really delivered and payed tribute to it well for fans (despite the remix cd's and rehash). :wink:

Nothing will ever top the Red Hill Mining Town video.

Sweet. Last week's birthday money will be coming in handy.

Yes, but in my defense, I'm up to over 4 weeks of vacation this year (next year will have 5, which is the max). :drool:

I can spare a day for this.

I think the uber version's extras are the original singles, some sunglasses (ooh!), some stickers and buttons (oooooooh!), and the front of the set is some sort of magnetic puzzle thing? I don't know exactly, I've heard both "magnetic" and "puzzle" tossed around in conversation.

The CDs and DVDs in each version are the same, and both come with a fabulous book.

Oh, I think in the uber, the CDs are packaged in their own separate cases, as opposed to slotting into the book, as they are in the super deluxe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom