Random Music Talk XLVI: No, studio Bad(minton) is NOT better than the live version.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think sometimes he does. Or at least did.

All the Shuttlecock references and appearances blur into one irritating jumble in my brain.

Oh I like using the abbreviations, mostly, especially on mobile, but they're harder to understand when they're abbreviations of cockified titles.

PhilsFan said:
And the double tracked vocals, which are the worst things in the world.

Yes. It almost kills Discotheque for me every time I hear it, but that song survives because of Edge.

So tell me, how pretentious am I that I'm starting to hold lyrics in equally high esteem to music? I feel really bad, because I recommend folk artists to people and they come back saying "oh, that was enjoyable" with no mention of the lyrics, and I'm left wondering why they bothered in the first place. Perhaps it's just the genres I'm into right now, but I'm really loving storytelling in music these days. I hear some Neil Young or Tom Waits and I'm swept away by the stories as much as I am their melodies. And the album I'm working on is mostly just lyrics for the moment. Certainly, I'm starting to believe that the answer to the music vs. lyrics debate depends largely on the genre in question. Obviously, shoegaze lyrics don't mean shit to me.

Laz, trying to read your posts when you make the shuttlecock references is like being asked to do math in every one. When will the insanity end???

Ask Imperor. Though it's a lot easier for him to not blink since he's around a lot less than I am.

It's when he does the abbreviations with the cockified titles that my brain begins to hurt.

My bad. I try to avoid that.

Anyways, I wanted to stop in to say that I had forgotten how much I used to love Where Did It All Go Wrong as a young'in (AKA WDIAGW for weirdos AKA Where Did It All Go Schlong for bigger weirdos). I just listened to it and remembered.

I would have gone with "How Did It All Grow Long", a coming-of-age tale about Lance's confusion over his first erection.

He got burned real good by djerdap I think it was in EYKIW about that.

Yeah, that was pretty funny.

YEAH TOTAL BURN! No one's made that cheap joke before. :rolleyes:

The level of intelligence in EYKIW, especially when it comes to humor, is so low, it amuses me that our little private (for all practical purposes) game is compared to some jackass thinking he's funny by creating a whole thread for a joke that was tired months ago.

And, aside from the occasional new title, I don't think Impy nor I are trying to be "funny" at this point. It's force of habit, and as I said before, a bit of a game of who's gonna blink first.

Ironically, he doesn't do the references in EYKIW, probably the lease sane part of the entire site.

I think sometimes he does. Or at least did.

That was abandoned pretty early on, as no one there would know what the hell we were talking about. And Impy (wisely, I might add) doesn't go in there anyway. Though I do use "Boner" still.

The worst abbreviations are the ones with the word 'who' in it, because the 'w' doesn't register as anything other than a w sound

With a couple summer courses and an internship on the table, I'm going to graduate next December. Where did the fucking time go? :panic:

In my first day on campus, our vocal pep squad dealie sang the school fight song to the tune of Whatcha Say.

Thankfully, last night gave Peef far more embarrassing stories than this to tell.

I tried doing a thread search to see if this song had been mentioned, but got bogged down by We Suck Young Blood references from the Radiohead thread. Anyway, it's finally become popular on the local alternative station the last few months or so here in Amurrrica; suggesting a conversion rate for how long it takes for pop music to cross the Pacific from Oceania: about 12 months. Not bad, considering sneakers can take up to 10 years. Anyway. Young Blood, The Naked and Famous.

The Naked And Famous - Young Blood - YouTube

The YouTube stats suggest sometime around February the song really took off, and it's been non-stop growth since. I originally thought it was an MGMT or Passion Pit song when I first heard it. Has a heck of an electro-buzz riff.

Wow, almost a year ago to the day I saw The Naked & Famous in a small Melbourne club (because my mates were supporting them), and while I figured they'd do pretty well for themselves, I never would've thought they'd be starting to crack the States already. Good show that, but I totally reckon Alpine owned them as far as stage presence goes. Not that I'm biased or anything.

I hear the song in a commercial every now and then but haven't heard the album yet for a few reasons, chief among them their similarity to Passion Pit( not that I don't like Passion Pit, they just sound TOO much like them) and also ive read the album is no where near as good.

I think I know who they are purely because I hang out with you Aussies. Never have heard a song by them, not sure where I would have until this commercial debuted.

Maybe I'm being gloom and doom, but there have been hardly any new and interesting bands this year to compensate for all the great bands that broke up. It's really depressing. All of the albums I love this year are from bands who have been around at least 5 years and have an album already, and that's out of the 130+ albums I've already heard. I mean, I guess Iceage could be pretty interesting. WU LYF is good too. But these guys have to compensate for the loss of R.E.M., Sonic Youth, The White Stripes and Broken Social Scene. :panic:

With a couple summer courses and an internship on the table, I'm going to graduate next December. Where did the fucking time go? :panic:

Maybe I'm being gloom and doom, but there have been hardly any new and interesting bands this year to compensate for all the great bands that broke up. It's really depressing. All of the albums I love this year are from bands who have been around at least 5 years and have an album already, and that's out of the 130+ albums I've already heard. I mean, I guess Iceage could be pretty interesting. WU LYF is good too. But these guys have to compensate for the loss of R.E.M., Sonic Youth, The White Stripes and Broken Social Scene. :panic:

You're old now. It's all downhill from here.

So tell me, how pretentious am I that I'm starting to hold lyrics in equally high esteem to music? I feel really bad, because I recommend folk artists to people and they come back saying "oh, that was enjoyable" with no mention of the lyrics, and I'm left wondering why they bothered in the first place. Perhaps it's just the genres I'm into right now, but I'm really loving storytelling in music these days. I hear some Neil Young or Tom Waits and I'm swept away by the stories as much as I am their melodies. And the album I'm working on is mostly just lyrics for the moment. Certainly, I'm starting to believe that the answer to the music vs. lyrics debate depends largely on the genre in question. Obviously, shoegaze lyrics don't mean shit to me.

I do think that excellent lyrics can be the primary contributor to a great album, but those albums are few and far between. The Final Cut is the preeminent example for me. On the other side of the coin, other efforts from Mr. Waters, like Pros and Cons of Hitch-Hiking, are fabulous lyrically but cannot rise above the lack of quality songcraft.

I think I can beat LM in the pretentious asshole department: Ys is maybe my favorite album of the past... eh, 20 years or so.

I just heard either a Pogues or a DKM song in a Subaru commercial. :slant: I dunno about iDub, but I know I'm going to be on suicide watch for the rest of the day.

There's a commercial out there with the Pogues' If I Should Fall From Grace With God, maybe it's that one.

But I can't remember what commercial it's in, which means the ad agency has failed in their duties.

Yeah, I've seen the If I Should Fall From Grace With God commercial more than a few times, but I love that album, so no biggie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom