Random Music Talk XLVI: No, studio Bad(minton) is NOT better than the live version.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hopefully PhilsFan has been released from jail this morning. I heard he was trying to network with local media last night and ended up turning over a news truck when media would not talk to him.

They found some really DUMB students to talk to. Feeling for the other 42,000 PSU students not involved last night - the institution is looking pretty bad right now.

Just watched a video about that.

zoney! said:
Congrats and best of luck!

Remember to network as much as you can. Hell, you know that people like Bomac and NSW could not get as far as they have on good looks and brains alone.

Thank you sir. Yeah, I plan to try not to make the same mistakes I made in undergrad, networking especially is something I've got to go after, hard.

I'm really influenced by Mozart and Bach, and it's sort of in between those, really. It's like a Mach piece, really.

What do you call this?

Well, this piece is called "Lick My Love Pump."

Some guy is driving around in circles in this shopping plaza blasting Outkast's B.O.B. I don't know what they're doing here but it's fucking awesome.

Have any of you heard of the Conet Project? It's a huge collection of these mysterious short wave radio signals (called Numbers Stations) that nobody knows the origin of. It's widely believed to be a method used by intelligence agencies to transfer hidden codes to undercover agents. Whatever they are, they're super creepy. I just discovered them a few days ago and today, when I was feeling a little tired in the afternoon, decided to have a little nap and listen to them on the headphones. What a mistake :no: it was fucking horrifying. I had all sorts of weird dreams and felt like I was losing my mind. There was one point near the end when I was somewhere between dreaming and waking up (I get sleep paralysis sometimes) where I had convinced myself the recordings were used to cause people to go insane and if I didn't wake up soon, I was in trouble. Even the dreams that weren't directly about the recordings had the droning of the numbers overtop of them. So weird..... I might do it again

The Conet Project - Recordings of Shortwave Numbers Stations [ird059] : Free Download & Streaming : Internet Archive

The Conet Project - The Swedish Rhapsody Iridial - YouTube

LemonMelon said:
Some guy is driving around in circles in this shopping plaza blasting Outkast's B.O.B. I don't know what they're doing here but it's fucking awesome.

Can you get his number and tell him to call me?

JT me and my mates got talking about the universe last night. Red shift, black holes, worm holes, time/space continuum, etc. So fucking interesting. Then I went home and typed in "universe" on wikipedia and lost two hours of my life.

(I get sleep paralysis sometimes)

DUDE!

So do I. And it's super fucked up. Is it like a thing where your entire body, or specific areas of the body, just freeze up, and it feels terrible and you start to panic?

This is totally a discussion for a different thread but, man, I've had that shit sporadically for about the last 10 years of my life, and it's really frightening when it's actually happening. I feel completely fine after I've fully woken up, though.

DUDE!

So do I. And it's super fucked up. Is it like a thing where your entire body, or specific areas of the body, just freeze up, and it feels terrible and you start to panic?

This is totally a discussion for a different thread but, man, I've had that shit sporadically for about the last 10 years of my life, and it's really frightening when it's actually happening. I feel completely fine after I've fully woken up, though.

Ya, it's completely normal. Everyone gets it, but only certain people wake up while your body is in that phase (it's meant to keep us from acting out our dreams and hurting ourselves). I sometimes wake up that way and am still dreaming, so I'll see all sorts of fucked up things in the real world for a minute or two before I'm able to move again. They're called Night Terrors and the first time it happened, I was so freaked out. It felt like a crazy girl was sitting on my chest and spitting into my face. Another time I saw someone standing in the doorway. It only happens when I sleep on my back and am a little stressed out. Now that I know what they are, I kinda enjoy them. A little bit of trivia: This photo is about sleep paralysis/night terrors
The-nightmare-henryfuseli-1781-the-detroit-institute-of-arts-detroit.jpg

But ya, if you want to start up a thread, I'd be down for talking about it

JT me and my mates got talking about the universe last night. Red shift, black holes, worm holes, time/space continuum, etc. So fucking interesting. Then I went home and typed in "universe" on wikipedia and lost two hours of my life.

I love that stuff man. It's just so vast and hard to wrap your mind around. Did you ever check out the video I posted last week? There was some info in there that would be a good addition to your redshift discussions

I had sleep paralysis really bad as a kid, still do from time to time. It's like you can feel your whole body logging off as your brain sends you to sleep. It's really scary and kind of forces you back up. It happens more often with my breathing now, like I can feel my breathing slowing down to a bothersome degree and I wake up because of it, which I guess is more like sleep apnea.

I used to get sleep paralysis every other night throughout high school and college. I also had a lot of intense hypnagogia stuff along with it (vivid visions, dreams, sensing presences, movements, etc.). Fortunately I outgrew this madness. It was terrifying. Although I'm not sure that "outgrew" is the right word. All I know is it stopped after college.

I used to get sleep paralysis every other night throughout high school and college. I also had a lot of intense hypnagogia stuff along with it (vivid visions, dreams, sensing presences, movements, etc.). Fortunately I outgrew this madness. It was terrifying. Although I'm not sure that "outgrew" is the right word. All I know is it stopped after college.

It was totally the stress. Mine started first year University the night before an exam. Now if anything is stressing me out with work or whatever and I sleep on my back, I'll still get it.

I tried talking/yelling once when I had it and it was the strangest sensation. I could breathe just fine, but it was as if I didn't have any air in my lungs to make any sound

Jive Turkey said:
I love that stuff man. It's just so vast and hard to wrap your mind around. Did you ever check out the video I posted last week? There was some info in there that would be a good addition to your redshift discussions

Yeah it blows my mind. So fascinating. Nah I dont think so, which one?

Jive Turkey said:
You should get that looked at LeMel. Nothing fun about Sleep Apnea

Sleep apnea is a motherfucker, but I'm almost positive that isn't it. Those weird attacks only happen as I'm drifting off, they don't wake me up. And Ashley's never noticed any breathing disturbances like that. But I've definitely thought about it, and I'd pay good money to know what's causing them. I hope it's not sleep paralysis because you can't do shit about that besides limit your stress level.

It was totally the stress. Mine started first year University the night before an exam. Now if anything is stressing me out with work or whatever and I sleep on my back, I'll still get it.

I tried talking/yelling once when I had it and it was the strangest sensation. I could breathe just fine, but it was as if I didn't have any air in my lungs to make any sound

Makes sense. I remember it happening one time on a Saturday afternoon while my mom was vacuuming right beside the bed. I was trying to communicate with her to get me out of that state, and I could not understand why she wasn't responding. I wonder if that's what ALS or advanced Parkinson's feels like.

Have any of you heard of the Conet Project? It's a huge collection of these mysterious short wave radio signals (called Numbers Stations) that nobody knows the origin of. It's widely believed to be a method used by intelligence agencies to transfer hidden codes to undercover agents. Whatever they are, they're super creepy. I just discovered them a few days ago and today, when I was feeling a little tired in the afternoon, decided to have a little nap and listen to them on the headphones. What a mistake :no: it was fucking horrifying. I had all sorts of weird dreams and felt like I was losing my mind. There was one point near the end when I was somewhere between dreaming and waking up (I get sleep paralysis sometimes) where I had convinced myself the recordings were used to cause people to go insane and if I didn't wake up soon, I was in trouble. Even the dreams that weren't directly about the recordings had the droning of the numbers overtop of them. So weird..... I might do it again

The Conet Project - Recordings of Shortwave Numbers Stations [ird059] : Free Download & Streaming : Internet Archive

Oh, yeah, the numbers stations. There's an even more mysterious and creepy one out of Russia called "The Buzzer".

UVB-76 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There's a site of pictures from inside the place where they thought it was being broadcast, but I can't find it.

Happy sleeping.

ETA: Thank you, Google. http://englishrussia.com/2010/08/28/inside-the-mysterious-uvb-76-station/

My experiences with sleep paralysis began with some of what you guys have mentioned: sort of strange, creepy visions. The idea of another presence in the room. One that I remember specifically was a sort of dark, faceless woman. Kind of like a witch or something. Weird. Real weird.

The other day I had the sensation that a dog was in my bed next to me, sort of snuggled up next to my shoulder. So that one wasn't exactly scary, but it's so odd because at the time you are just COMPLETELY convinced that it's actually happening. And I wake up and there's no dog there.

For the most part now it just centers around that crazy feeling of being totally frozen and mostly helpless. It really feels like a seizure. And over the past few years the pain or sensation of paralysis seems to be really sharp and focused on one specific part of the body. Often times it's a part of my chest, like even my heart, that gets that sharp seizure feeling. And that's scary. Sometimes it's my head, even.

I've never really talked about this stuff at length with anybody before this. I'm glad that other people have/have had similar shit happen.

I feel like I read a few months ago about a band that incorporated these into one of their albums, but I can't for the life of me remember what band.

I am terrified of having night terrors. I know that's a weird thing to be afraid of, but I had an awful experience with anti-depressants in college that my pyschiatrist prescribed for my OCD. They gave me awful vivid dreams, and I already slept poorly to begin with. For a year this went on with me trying to get my meds changed or get something to help me sleep sounder, and it ended up that I quit taking the medicine altogether, which was it's own bad time. Anyways, that experience has always made me scared of my nightmares, because I'm afraid that at any moment they could turn into night terrors, and I'm not sure I'd ever be able to sleep normally again.

/weird shit.

Also, on a personal topic, I just spoke with a graduate advisor again, and they've proposed something incredibly interesting to me, and I can't decide what to do. I can get my masters in Digital Media, and then concurrently get a certificate in Sports Media. I can't decide if that's the way I'd rather go or not. Digital Media isn't exactly where my interests lie, but holy shit would that open up my prospects.

Often times it's a part of my chest

That's the classic sign of sleep paralysis/night terrors. The feeling of pressure on your chest is what causes the hallucinations about things being on your chest (like the black devil in the painting or the crazy girl sitting on me). There are even old urban legends about... I think she was called the Old Hag or something... who would come at night and hold you down. Like a woman or witch dressed all in black. I've always been fascinated by how similar the human experience is across the board

This whole discussion is weird and vaguely badass. I might write a rock song about this if Black Sabbath hasn't already.

My experiences with sleep paralysis began with some of what you guys have mentioned: sort of strange, creepy visions. The idea of another presence in the room. One that I remember specifically was a sort of dark, faceless woman. Kind of like a witch or something. Weird. Real weird.

The other day I had the sensation that a dog was in my bed next to me, sort of snuggled up next to my shoulder. So that one wasn't exactly scary, but it's so odd because at the time you are just COMPLETELY convinced that it's actually happening. And I wake up and there's no dog there.

For the most part now it just centers around that crazy feeling of being totally frozen and mostly helpless. It really feels like a seizure. And over the past few years the pain or sensation of paralysis seems to be really sharp and focused on one specific part of the body. Often times it's a part of my chest, like even my heart, that gets that sharp seizure feeling. And that's scary. Sometimes it's my head, even.

I've never really talked about this stuff at length with anybody before this. I'm glad that other people have/have had similar shit happen.

Exactly the kind of stuff I experienced. That's the hypnagogic state which often accompanies sleep paralysis: The Unconscious Mind: Hypnagogic State & Hypnopompic hallucination

I think I experienced every single example they list, even the "rare" ones. In fact, the "rare" ones were the most common for me. :|

This whole discussion is weird and vaguely badass. I might write a rock song about this if Black Sabbath hasn't already.

I think it actually seems more like a subject that Thom Yorke would tackle. Even "Hypnogogia" sounds like a Radiohead song title, or a lyric. You should steal it from him.

Thanks for the links jive and joyful. I'll do some reading.

Here's the creepiest I've ever had:

I was sleeping on my back and was awakened by the sensation of someone being under my bed punching upward underneath my mattress quite violently. I can even remember the sound. This went on for several moments. the creepiest part is that I don't remember coming out of the sleep paralysis (or even having it for that matter). As I remember it, I was freaked out, but managed to just go back to sleep. When I woke up in the morning, it felt like it had really happened... It just creeped me out again thinking about it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom