Random Music Talk XLVI: No, studio Bad(minton) is NOT better than the live version.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Paging GAF ....

I may have already asked you, but have you heard Natalia Kills? Love her (their?) CD. I think you'd dig it.

Paging GAF ....

I may have already asked you, but have you heard Natalia Kills? Love her (their?) CD. I think you'd dig it.

I've heard of her, but haven't heard any songs yet. Thanks for the recommendation, her debut album is on Spotify and I'll definitely listen to it soon.

cobl04 said:
Impy you've seen Yeezy recently. Did he play with a full band?

Not to my recollection. Still didn't keep it from being totally awesome. Keep your ticket.

So there is not one single minute of clashing between Hypnotic Brass Ensemble, TVOTR, CYHSY, The National, Portishead or the Flaming Lips.

And I can catch bits of sets by The Family Stone, The Walkmen and Mogwai.

So I just finished the reissued Smile, basically the first disc of the Smile sessions box set and nothing else. Bear in mind, I've probably heard Brian Wilson's 2004 version about half a dozen times and like it but find some problems with the production.

First off: if you have interest in the album but don't know anything by the Beach Boys really, please hold off and listen to Pet Sounds. Smile has always been a forward-thinking album musically and contains a few of the band's best songs (Heroes and Villains, Wonderful, Surf's Up, Good Vibrations), but it doesn't connect emotionally with the listener because the album is a bit strung up by its concept, which is massive but doesn't encompass a lot of intimate topics: history, the elements, health, etc. This lyrical concept muddles the album and covers too much ground to properly translate in 50 minutes. However, fans won't mind, because this album is still loaded with terrific vocals and stretches the band's instrumental talents. There is so much ingenuity at play here that fans of psychedelic pop will like it also but, again, if you haven't already heard Pet Sounds there's no reason to wait on that.

If you have already heard Brian Wilson's Smile, whether or not you need to hear this depends on your view of that performance. Personally, I found his version far too clean and mannered, and the soul/melancholy present in Wilson's 60s vocals was nowhere to be found. Sonically, the Smile Sessions reissue sounds exactly like you would have expected it to in 1967: reverb/bass heavy, decidedly more baroque, and a touch darker in general. In this sense, I am thrilled with the reissue. Unfortunately, the reissue matches the arrangements of the Brian Wilson version almost note-for-note, and this is a disappointment because I have to question the Brian Wilson release's influence: had it not existed, I believe this release would have been arranged differently. The Smile Sessions box is like 5 discs, and the final version winds up reflecting one specific variation? That can't be a coincidence. And considering the wait, it's dissapointing that the surprise has been spoiled so profoundly by Wilson's version.

As it stands, the shock of Smile's release has been blunted heavily, and it's easy to question what the fuss was all about. However, their career hinged greatly on Smile: I believe, had this very good album been released in 1967 as planned, they would have received accolades for its vision and quality. The Beach Boys would have kept their balls, Wilson might have come back from the edge and perhaps things would have turned out differently for them in the coming decade. Perhaps that's overly optimistic, but the quality present here gives me hope that at least the album would have been received extremely well, especially with Good Vibrations to promote it.

In conclusion: fuck Mike Love.

Listening to some Veruca Salt for the first time in a while. Some of these tunes are still really hot.

So I just finished the reissued Smile, basically the first disc of the Smile sessions box set and nothing else. Bear in mind, I've probably heard Brian Wilson's 2004 version about half a dozen times and like it but find some problems with the production.

First off: if you have interest in the album but don't know anything by the Beach Boys really, please hold off and listen to Pet Sounds. Smile has always been a forward-thinking album musically and contains a few of the band's best songs (Heroes and Villains, Wonderful, Surf's Up, Good Vibrations), but it doesn't connect emotionally with the listener because the album is a bit strung up by its concept, which is massive but doesn't encompass a lot of intimate topics: history, the elements, health, etc. This lyrical concept muddles the album and covers too much ground to properly translate in 50 minutes. However, fans won't mind, because this album is still loaded with terrific vocals and stretches the band's instrumental talents. There is so much ingenuity at play here that fans of psychedelic pop will like it also but, again, if you haven't already heard Pet Sounds there's no reason to wait.

If you have already heard Brian Wilson's Smile, whether or not you need to hear this depends on your view of that performance. Personally, I found his version far too clean and mannered, and the soul/melancholy present in Wilson's 60s vocals was nowhere to be found. Sonically, the Smile Sessions reissue sounds exactly like you would have expected it to in 1967: reverb/bass heavy, decidedly more baroque, and a touch darker in general. In this sense, I am thrilled with the reissue. Unfortunately, the reissue matches the arrangements of the Brian Wilson version almost note-for-note, and this is a disappointment because I have to question the Brian Wilson release's influence: had it not existed, I believe this release would have been arranged differently. The Smile Sessions box is 5 discs like, and the final version winds up reflecting one specific variation? That can't be a coincidence. And considering the wait, it's dissapointing that the surprise has been spoiled so profoundly by Wilson's version.

As it stands, the shock of Smile's release has been blunted heavily, and it's easy to question what the fuss was all about. However, their career hinged greatly on Smile: I believe, had this very good album been released in 1967 as planned, they would have received accolades for its vision and quality. The Beach Boys would have kept their balls, Wilson might have come back from the edge and perhaps things would have turned out differently for them in the coming decade.

Thanks for this. The Beach Boys are a group whom I should I explore more thoroughly.

Also, free cocktails from a Michelin-Starred restaurant makes me rather happy. Time to listen to The National.

Yeah, pretty much. I love Wilson's Smile and have been on the fence as to whether I should pick this up or not.

Listening to some Veruca Salt for the first time in a while. Some of these tunes are still really hot.

American Thighs is such a great, underrated album. Perfect harmonies, and some serious shredding on behalf of Louise Post. I really think it's one of the better debuts of the 90's, and it has a lot more depth than something like Weezer's Blue Album, and has almost as many catchy tunes.

I used to see these guys play all the time back in the day (usually at the Metro, and a couple times opening up for old-school Liz Phair), and would often bug them about when they were going to put an LP out. When I went away to school in Boston and Seether came out, I was pretty shocked at how huge it got.

I ran into Louise again in Boston around 1997-1998 when they were in town to play some Christmas show with Foo Fighters (both girls sleeping with Grohl is what supposedly broke up the band) and we reminisced briefly about the Chicago club days. She was unbelievably hot.

iron yuppie said:
Thanks for this. The Beach Boys are a group whom I should I explore more thoroughly.

Also, free cocktails from a Michelin-Starred restaurant makes me rather happy. Time to listen to The National.

You should. Music collections improve significantly if Pet Sounds, some incarnation of Smile and Surf's Up resides in it.

The National is definitely good music for happy drunk time.

David Lynch is good music for Crazy Clown Time.

lazarus said:
Yeah, pretty much. I love Wilson's Smile and have been on the fence as to whether I should pick this up or not.

Hey, it sounds like the Beach Boys of 1967 performing Brian Wilson's Smile, so I don't see why you shouldn't. I can't weigh in on the bonus stuff because Heroes and Villains take 87656785 is of no interest to me

American Thighs is such a great, underrated album. Perfect harmonies, and some serious shredding on behalf of Louise Post. I really think it's one of the better debuts of the 90's, and it has a lot more depth than something like Weezer's Blue Album, and has almost as many catchy tunes.

I used to see these guys play all the time back in the day (usually at the Metro, and a couple times opening up for old-school Liz Phair), and would often bug them about when they were going to put an LP out. When I went away to school in Boston and Seether came out, I was pretty shocked at how huge it got.

I ran into Louise again in Boston around 1997-1998 when they were in town to play some Christmas show with Foo Fighters (both girls sleeping with Grohl is what supposedly broke up the band) and we reminisced briefly about the Chicago club days. She was unbelievably hot.

Yeah, American Thighs is what I'm listening to.

That's pretty cool. And I didn't know that about Grohl. I really like their vocals (most of the time), Post and the other chick, and I feel like a bunch of the now-popular "emo" or "pop-punk" bands that have a female lead singer owe a lot to their style.

So, no other comments on Kate Bush to help me out besides a few on Hounds of Love?

I was crazy about Kate Bush in the early 80s. I loved everything. But I don't think a lot of it has aged well. The Kick Inside has some beautiful songs but a lot of people find her hard to take vocally on that record.

I never replaced Lionheart and Never Forever on CD after I got rid of my LPs so I honestly don't remember those very well at this point. I used to love the song Breathing, though, so that's worth checking out.

The Sensual World has one of my favorite Kate Bush songs, This Woman's Work, and some other beautiful stuff. Again, not sure how it has held up over time.

The Red Shoes has some killer songs on it - the gorgeous And So is Love, Constellation of the Heart (with Prince), Song of Solomon, Why Should I Love You. Actually, I think The Red Shoes might be underrated. Of her later stuff I think that one has held up pretty well.

It seems that every record has some amazing songs, but Hounds of Love is the most complete and satisfying Kate Bush listening experience for me. If I'd listened to her more recently I could be more helpful but I haven't.

You should. Music collections improve significantly if Pet Sounds, some incarnation of Smile and Surf's Up resides in it.

We may have talked about this before, but that final minute or so of "God Only Knows" is among the finest things that I have ever heard - it really earns the designation of "transcendent."

DaveC once said that Wish You Were Here had "a transcendental beauty" and LM once said Have a Cigar had a "nice smarminess to it that is rather endearing".

I have a fucked up memory. I can remember pointless shit like this, but I easily forget when my uni assignments are due.

Everyone can stop their Pitchfork bitching and go back to telling us all which bands you don't like.

Decent write-up. Kind of surprised by the score, they didn't seem to care overly much for the bonus materials.

little irritated that they spelled God with a lower-case G /nitpicking

I'm in shock right now, guys.

Someone get me a blanket.

9.5 and Best New Reissue?

I wish they would have gone into a bit more detail on the bonus material; you'd think at least they'd mention Down All The Cocks and the Kindergarten version of Love Is Badminton (instead he singles out Tryin' To Throw Your Cock Around The Court?).

But Dombal clearly (and thankfully) went through all the video material, and as I suspected, the context of the accompanying tour and what the band was setting out to do likely elevated this score higher than it reads. I imagine it's easier to passively listen to a bunch of bonus audio and get sick of it compared to watching documentaries and actually listen to what's being said.

No complaints here. I couldn't really justify giving it higher than 9.5 anyway; who the fuck needs 2 discs of remixes?

'Hounds of Love' is the only one I've heard. It's alright. I enjoy the "pop" half much more than the "weird" half tho. Can't say it's compelled me to delve further into her discography.
yeah. i've got her first couple albums but honestly, i just always end up listening to the kick inside, i guess because it's more pop than weird. though as joyful mentioned, the vocals aren't for everyone.

The Dreaming is a really cool album, more weird than pop but still highly entertaining. Hounds of Love is her best, but everything up through that album is quality. Haven't heard The Sensual World to comment on that one but I hear it's good too.

The Dreaming is a really cool album, more weird than pop but still highly entertaining. Hounds of Love is her best, but everything up through that album is quality. Haven't heard The Sensual World to comment on that one but I hear it's good too.

I can't believe I didn't mention The Dreaming since that's what I was listening to when I was posting. I love it second to Hounds, but I guess I feel like her early stuff is so weird that I have no idea how it sounds to people today.

The Sensual World is beautiful sonically but thematically I can't imagine it would be a favorite amongst men. I think of it as kind of a chick record but I haven't listened to it in forever and that may be completely wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom