Random Music Talk XLV: In which we form a punk rock band

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've suddenly remembered why I had that dude on ignore for months. And he's immediately going back on it.

HOLY FUCKING SHIT.

It's one of the more horribly pedantic arguments I've ever seen.

iron yuppie said:
I can rate the ones that I have heard without much trouble, but I understand your point.

1. Music for Airports
2. Discreet Music
3. Apollo
4. Neroli

I think that LM makes an excellent point about how well they create their own worlds and draw you into them. Great ambient albums will do both, whereas decent ones will only do the former, I think.

I haven't heard Apollo yet, maybe I'll listen later. I always assume every 70s artist turned to shit once the 80s started. Same reason I haven't heard any King Crimson past Starless And Bible Black.

Discreet Music is incredible.

It's one of the more horribly pedantic arguments I've ever seen.

I didn't even really give a shit about the argument, just wanted to make a 40 Year Old Virgin reference.

But then when he totally twisted the words in my post, which he always does, I just...I don't understand it. Good lord. I need a palate cleanser, like an episode of Pretty Little Liars or some shit.

GirlsAloudFan said:
I didn't even really give a shit about the argument, just wanted to make a 40 Year Old Virgin reference.

But then when he totally twisted the words in my post, which he always does, I just...I don't understand it. Good lord. I need a palate cleanser, like an episode of Pretty Little Liars or some shit.

Some people would rather waste their time bullshitting around rather than admit they're wrong about something. FYM would be a very dead place if that weren't a sad fact.

The Association are playing a gig in Chicago. I'm 30% the age of most everyone going, but that doesn't mean it's not a tempting proposition. Love those old bastards.

People who say they have no regrets are fucking liars. I'm 21 and have a million. Chief among them is not being into Pavement when they were here on their reunion tour.

While I only saw this show from a great distance at the Hollywood Bowl, I can tell you didn't miss much. Malkmus' heart wasn't in it, and the songs were all performed in a pretty rote fashion. In addition, the set lists were heavily-biased towards Slanted & Enchanted, "the hits", and geriatric fans with no imagination, which doesn't fairly represent what this band truly had to offer.

My main point is that you're better off seeing the Jicks anyway; they're a tighter band and you'll be seeing a much more engaged Mallmus.

lazarus said:
My main point is that you're better off seeing the Jicks anyway; they're a tighter band and you'll be seeing a much more engaged Mallmus.

It's only comparable if you like solo Malkmus.

Yeah I mean the stage I'm at now (only heard the one Malkmus solo record) I'd still go for Pavement. Laz you obviously have pretty high standards and expectations of them too. A "hits" set would be more than ok with me.

Just to put into perspective how shitty the weather is here, a radio station was giving away nondescript trips to Florida (there was no location given) and the caller was enthused out of their fucking mind.

I can't think of any set of circumstances in which I would want to go to Florida.

Heat. Humidity. Big-ass mosquitoes. Overpriced bullshit. Annoying sports teams. Friggin Florida.

So apparently Killing Boner author Neil McCormick has been tweeting about the Achtung Birdie set he received today, and he answered someone's question that it IS in fact remastered.

Not sure how skeptical we should still be. Would sure be great if he mentioned a label or liner notes credit that actually states this.

Back
Top Bottom