Random Music Talk XLV: In which we form a punk rock band

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm just going to have to spend all of Thanksgiving break listening to music. This semester has been unbelievably busy/taxing, I have fallen behind.

So you would recommend Wander / Wonder, Impy? I have been searching for it everywhere, but to no avail.

And now you guys and gals are all making me second-guess my decision not to buy the M83 album.

Thanks to a stream, I can say that my favourite new album from 2011 is Tom Waits' Bad As Me. I still need to stream Endtroducing, though. Pretty sure that was on Spotify. :hmm: Am I in the mood for hip-hop/jazz fusion?

iron yuppie said:
So you would recommend Wander / Wonder, Impy? I have been searching for it everywhere, but to no avail.

Oh indeed. It's wonderful stuff. Tri Angle Recs is straight killing it right now.

And yes, Bad as Me is really great, and I will only become more hyperbolic in a week or so. Now let's get a tour going, T-Dub.

Reggo said:
Thanks to a stream, I can say that my favourite new album from 2011 is Tom Waits' Bad As Me. I still need to stream Endtroducing, though. Pretty sure that was on Spotify. :hmm: Am I in the mood for hip-hop/jazz fusion?

Endtroducing came out in 96, but yeah, it's dope and everyone needs to hear it.

DJ Shadow's new album apparently blows, but I can't verify that myself. Really dug him live, and I'm assuming he played some new stuff then.

SLEEP ∞ OVER - Forever

This is quality, though I don't think there are any individual songs quite on the level of last year's Outer Limits / La Rose single.

Wolves In The Throne Room

Really? I thought I'd be the only one. That's possibly my album of the year; so far a three-way tussle with Sleepmakeswaves and Washed Out, though I expect Russian Circles to enter into contention next week.

Other recent favourites of mine are Free All The Monsters by The Bats (an album by a band this late into their career shouldn't be so good), Shadows by The New Division, and Twelve Hundred Times by Laura.

No, not really. When peef asked that question I thought it would be funny to just list all of Pitchfork's Best New Music albums since the start of July. Thought people would catch on, or at least question the fact that I listen to some of that shit. I've barely heard of half the artists. So good for you, Ax.

To legitimately answer peef's question about shit since July, my answer would be the new Nic Roberts and the Malkmus and Wilco. That's it. I've been mostly brushing up on older stuff these past few months.

No, not really. When peef asked that question I thought it would be funny to just list all of Pitchfork's Best New Music albums since the start of July. Thought people would catch on, or at least question the fact that I listen to some of that shit. I've barely heard of half the artists. So good for you, Ax.

I thought it was a little dubious but I've learnt to sometimes expect the unexpected from you over the years. Ah well.

And Pitchfork gave it Best New Music? Huh, didn't expect that. Token metal album for the year?

Well, I will probably listen to it anyway. I usually check out 4 or 5 new metal albums every year.

Oh, and listen to John Maus, bitch.

DJ Shadow's new album apparently blows, but I can't verify that myself. Really dug him live, and I'm assuming he played some new stuff then.

Haven't listened to it yet, but I've seen some positive reviews as well.

No way. Seriously? That dude was, like, way ahead of his time.

Yeah it's great stuff. Listen to it? Best album of its genre I reckon.

This is quality, though I don't think there are any individual songs quite on the level of last year's Outer Limits / La Rose single.

I'll admit I saw "Out" and "Rose" and got real excited, thinking you were talking about Outkast's Roses :reject: :lol:

On first listen, I think that Real Estate's new album toes the line between sublime and boring, but every song has such gorgeous melodies that it sounds great anyhow. Got a BNM from the Fork, but most critics aren't being so kind. Don't care: this one has stronger songs than the last one.

Thought people would catch on, or at least question the fact that I listen to some of that shit. I've barely heard of half the artists.

I sorta assumed, but didn't want to judge if that was how you legitimately were choosing what to listen to.

Unrelated, but I had no idea Rob Crow released an album yesterday. I must go buy.

I happened to stumble across this bit of news elsewhere, and was surprised not to see anything about it in The Other Place or on other Shuttlecock news sites:

Apparently Boner was at the Steve Jobs memorial at Stanford the other day, and performed Bob Dylan's Every Grain Of Sand by himself. No luck finding any video of that so far.

I think I'd rather see that than the entire Clinton tribute show.

Return of the Fly
With Vincent Price
You guinea pig
Yeah, Return of the Fly

Dirty Projectors Respond to the Strokes on New Album, Due Next Year | News | Pitchfork

header.jpg

To jump back to 2009 for a second...those girls are so fucking hot.

To legitimately answer peef's question about shit since July, my answer would be the new Nic Roberts and the Malkmus and Wilco. That's it. I've been mostly brushing up on older stuff these past few months.
I would have noticed if I ever read Pitchfork, which I don't unless someone links to a ridiculous review or something.

Back
Top Bottom