Random Music Talk XLV: In which we form a punk rock band

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What do you recommend from the Misfits, Scums?

Personally, Bone Machine is my Halloween record of choice. Terrifying, cold-blooded shit.

What do you recommend from the Misfits, Scums?

Honestly, I'd just listen to Collection 2 and then Collection 1. I think their albums have a lot of crap on them. Even the two Collection discs have some unessential fluff.

Happy Hipster Halloween in advance, guyz.

foodie-witches.gif

Misfits are a band where a collection wouldn't be the worst idea. Specifically this one, from 1986:

misfits.jpg

They have a complicated discography, because there's technically only two albums with that classic lineup. Walk Among Us and Earth A.D. I wouldn't bother with the latter, as it's more harsher, metal sound isn't anywhere near as enjoyable as what came before.

Static Age would have been their first album but didn't see an official release until much later. I came to know the songs from that period primarily through the Legacy of Brutality disc, which is commonly mistaken for an actual album and has many of the Static Age songs, some with overdubs.

If I could only listen to one release for the rest of my life, it would be Legacy of Brutality. Most Misfits fans would probably go with Walk Among Us, but I prefer the versatility on the former.

Thanks, I'm compiling music for the occasion and that will be a good fit. Any legitimately creepy or outright fucked up music applies.

Frankie Teardrop by Suicide is by far the scariest song I've ever heard, fwiw. Those screams are chilling.

I still think Collection 2 far and away has the better songs overall, but there are definitely some essentials on the first one.

I still think Collection 2 far and away has the better songs overall, but there are definitely some essentials on the first one.

Those last 6 songs don't do much for me.

And I'm not sure that Collection II is a real Misfits compilation either:

Collection II - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I don't agree it has better songs, regardless. I mean, come on:

Collection I

"She" – 1:22
"Hollywood Babylon" – 2:20
"Bullet" – 1:38
"Horror Business" – 2:45
"Teenagers from Mars" – 2:43
"Night of the Living Dead"- 1:57
"Where Eagles Dare" – 2:08
"Vampira" – 1:21
"I Turned into a Martian" – 1:43
"Skulls" – 1:58
"London Dungeon" – 2:34
"Ghouls Night Out" – 1:57
"Astro Zombies" – 2:11

That is some stretch of amazing right there.

Frankie Teardrop by Suicide is by far the scariest song I've ever heard, fwiw. Those screams are chilling.

Do I have the thing for you! Scarier than Frankie Teardrop or anything off Manic Street Preachers' Holy Bible. (Personally, I don't find Frankie Teardrop all that scary.)

The Sleep Of Reason Begets Monsters | Inhale

You can listen to a sample, or I have the whole thing if you really want the full endurance trial.

If that doesn't tickle your fancy, I have another 31-minute track that starts off like guided meditation and ends up trying to kill you, but that one's more of a joke.

I signed up for Spotify a couple of months ago, was all "hey, this is pretty cool!" and then haven't opened it again until today.

So here I am again saying "hey, this is pretty cool!" Let's see if I can remember that and actually listen to stuff on it. I need to get over my dislike of listening to stuff on the computer.

The backwards end-bit of Strawberry Fields Forever used to freak me out. I wouldn't listen to it at night if I was alone in the house.

I go on these random Paul is Dead binges and listen to all that backwards beatles stuff, which inevitably terrifies me because it always culminates in a backwards journey through Revolution 9.

That one freaks me out as well, but easier to bypass because I don't even ever want to listen to it, unlike Strawberry Fields Forever.

Also, I finally watched the George Harrison doc yesterday. Oh, that was good.

Fair enough, I thought you'd meant it in a negative way. Maybe you still do.
tbh, I don't think I've listened to the whole album all the way through. I like it, but it creeps me out.

I go on these random Paul is Dead binges and listen to all that backwards beatles stuff, which inevitably terrifies me because it always culminates in a backwards journey through Revolution 9.

I like Revolution 9 backwards. I even did my own remix of it.

Reggo your entire fucking DI list was scary/creepy as hell. I'd love to know why that Isolation Cubicle song exists.

It's part of a larger concept album, also another endurance trial designed to make you not sleep for a week.

I might as well say it now, not next full DI, but the next one, is going to be a sequel to Gloria Grey.

Also, I finally watched the George Harrison doc yesterday. Oh, that was good.

I'm really excited to watch it, glad that you liked it. It's on my "These should be the next films you watch" list, along with THOR starring Natalie Portman which I somehow haven't seen yet (and a bunch of other shit).

I don't like your new (old) avatar at all, scums. I felt your last one was perfect, and also brought a sense of authority.

I'm listening to Teen Dream. Silver Soul has gotta be one of my favourite songs of the past few years. Gorgeous.

In other news: Liam Finn's album still really fucking good.

Back
Top Bottom