Random Music Talk XLIX: Celebrating traditional Australian customs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I might have to listen to Destroyer. I have yet to hear a song by them.

And for some music discussion, I just listened to The Holy Bible by Manic Street Preachers for the first time in awhile. I had forgotten what a great album that is :up:
Some really heavy lyrics in there.

There is no weak song on that album. I better restrain myself before I spend paragraphs rambling over how good it is.

Thank you, universal blog adoration, for bringing this hot jam to my attention.

Funny enough, many counties in Texas, Kansas, Virginia, and the Dirty South have stricter alcohol restrictions than Utah. "Dry counties" where the sale of alcohol is prohibited within the entire county.

Dry county - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

At least alcohol is available in every corner of Utah, despite some annoying laws that still exist.

Some parts of Texas go by county and some are at the discretion of the city itself. The town I grew up in was dry up until six years or so ago. It's all pretty archaic.

And for some music discussion, I just listened to The Holy Bible by Manic Street Preachers for the first time in awhile. I had forgotten what a great album that is :up:
Some really heavy lyrics in there.

:up:

Are you happy with the local bowl game results, UiU?

:up:

Are you happy with the local bowl game results, UiU?

I am. I enjoyed the Dan Marino fake spike play to win the game for BYU, and Utah's overtime comeback in the Sun Bowl was exciting as well. I was disappointed Utah State didn't pull out the win in the Idaho Potato Bowl though to make it 3-0 for the local teams. (You know there are too many bowl games, when there is a 'Potato Bowl')

Also the Rose and Fiesta Bowls were awesome yesterday. (and I won money betting on Oregon :wink:)

And with the NBA starting back up, it was a great Christmas break sports wise.

I was incredibly pissed off that I didn't watch the Utah game. I was mixed up on when it was starting, and when I realized it was on, they were down by so much that I assumed there was no way they were coming back. I was mad when I heard the final score. Did watch the Utah State and BYU games. Wish all of them would have won, but 2 out of 3 isn't bad.

Gonna hit Florence + The Machine & The Black Keys after lunch today on Spotify.

The DJ at the NYE party was playing the typical top-40 dance stuff, and the song I had the best time dancing to was Ke$sha's "Blow."

Good times.

Gonna hit Florence + The Machine & The Black Keys after lunch today on Spotify.

The new Black Keys album isn't on Spotify, unfortunately.

The DJ at the NYE party was playing the typical top-40 dance stuff, and the song I had the best time dancing to was Ke$sha's "Blow."

Good times.

That BLO-OH-OH-OH-OH-OH-OH-OH-OWW!!!! hook in the chorus is one of those "might be stuck in your head for the next 30 hours if you're not careful" hooks.

Guys, it's 80 degrees here in beautiful Los Angeles, and I'm blastin the Steely Dan while driving around near the ocean with the windows down in short-sleeves.

Life is good.

We pretty much haven't even had a winter here yet. It snowed a few times in November I think, but it was supposedly the driest December the state's had in recorded history. I'm sure that means winter start and stay much too late, oh wellz.

We pretty much haven't even had a winter here yet. It snowed a few times in November I think, but it was supposedly the driest December the state's had in recorded history. I'm sure that means winter start and stay much too late, oh wellz.

Neither have we. We had a decent snowfall at the start of December, then it melted. And we've had spritzes of snow flurries since, but...nothing. And it's been exceedingly mild, too, for this time of year. Which, given that I love winter, really, REALLY sucks :grumpy:. I'm also concerned and hoping this isn't some sort of telling sign about spring-dry and quiet winter, nasty, stormy (violent thunderstorms, read) spring.

As for Ke$ha...

and will be one of the many artists covering Bob Dylan for the Amnesty International anniversary album out on January 24.

Hm. Yeah. I'd love to have been at the pickings meeting for that album.

(I'm not a Ke$ha fan at all, but I do have to admit her song "Tik Tok" is ridiculously catchy... If it's on when I'm out with friends, I'd dance to it. That's about the only one I can tolerate, though)

Yeah. There is less snow on the mountains than I can ever remember for this time of year. I've loved the sunny weather though, as long as the inversion doesn't roll back in. I'll be pissed if it pushes the cold later. It didn't warm up last year until the end of May! Remember it was still pretty cold at the U2 concert.

Yeah, last year winter went directly into summer. Blah.

You going to the M83 show in April, UiU?

I've never seen that show, but it just seems fitting that he'd be on something with such a title. I think it's rather neat he's got that little record label of his going.

Her cover is actually decent, believe it or not. Save for the crying. Don't know what the fuck that is.

Oh, yeah? Hm. Well, I'll keep an ear out, then. What song does she cover?

The crying comment reminds me of her laughing and mumbling, "I like your beard" at the end of "Your Love Is My Drug". Something about that ending just...bugs me, I don't know why. I just know I hear it and go, "Um...okay, random."

To prove just how ridiculous the p4k review of Young Gambeezy's record was, Camp finished 18th in the reader's poll and was named most underrated album.

"You're my favourite rapper now!" Yeah dude I better be... or you can fucking kiss my ass human centipede

When I was at my parents' place over the holidays, Letterman or Leno had him on performing (may have been a rerun, I don't know). My dad's comment? "Sounds like he should stick to acting".

Maybe it was a bad performance, but I didn't entirely disagree based on that being my first time hearing any of his music.

I don't even particularly like Camp and I thought P4k way underrated it. I have no idea what the hell was going on with that review.

Taken on a strictly literary basis, I thought the review made a coherent argument: that Glover was trying to appropriate a persona of dis-privilege when he is in fact riding high in almost all facets of his life. Having not heard the album, though, I have no idea whether the review is an accurate description.

We're biased. It's not going to go down as a hip-hop classic. The lyrics are a bit odd at times.

But a) it's a lot of fun and b) it's Donald Fucking Glover. Dude is a triple threat.

iron yuppie said:
Taken on a strictly literary basis, I thought the review made a coherent argument: that Glover was trying to appropriate a persona of dis-privilege when he is in fact riding high in almost all facets of his life. Having not heard the album, though, I have no idea whether the review is an accurate description.

he has a really bizarre childhood that they were clearly unaware of at pitchfork. listen to his appearance on marc maron's podcast. his lyrical style makes more sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom