Random Music Talk XLIV: Haunted By Dalton's Ghost

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I gotta listen to Fleet Foxes asap... They're doing shows over summer. The tracks I've heard via DI haven't greatly impressed me though. And that includes Blue Ridge Mountains.

My personal opinion is that the debut needs to be heard as an album. The whole is much greater than the sum of the parts, though there are some really great songs in there as well.

iron yuppie said:
Does anyone happen to know if the AB documentary is going to receive a separate release? I looked through the EYKIW thread, but only found an endless cycle of haranguing about the remaster issue.

It sure is, but no specifics other than a blu ray release so far. Tempted just to get this and the 2 disc CD.

That whole dude singer thing tuns Impy off.

Helplessness Blues is one of the best of the year, and the debut is even better.

While I do listen to an inordinate amount of female singers, my souring on Fleet Foxes has very little to do with Robin Pecknold Orton's lack of ovaries.

I hadn't intended to use that as a thesis for an honors paper or anything.

Am curious to know what actually soured you on them though. Bands make disappointing followups sometimes.

Am curious to know what actually soured you on them though. Bands make disappointing followups sometimes.

I don't like going on and on about how much I hate Helplessness Blues since so many people here really love it. And honestly I can't really explain it. A lot of it has to do with the lyrics and the vocals, for sure, but there's something about the music that's not clicking for me anymore. It's very sharp on a technical level, but it doesn't resonate with me like it used to. But it's mostly stuff like "if to borrow is to take and not return, I have borrowed all my lonesome life" making me dry heave. So fucking maudlin.

Anyway, I don't want to feel this way about them, and it bums me out that I didn't enjoy the new album at all after loving the old one way back when. This must be how Shouter feels all the time.

Looking at the debut through the prism of the followup made me nitpick the things I'm not nuts about, the little bits of their sound on the debut and first EP that were cartoonishly exaggerated on Helplessness Blues. Mountains. Trees. Wanderin'. Apples and shit. We get it.

Is it getting any kind of theatrical release at all? Or will I need to wait to add it to my QWIKSTER queue?

I haven't heard anything about it being released in theaters beyond the Toronto festival.

It's going to be on the BBC in a week or so - not sure if there will be a stream or somewhere to watch live for those of us outside of BBC-Land. Ditto the Showtime airing that will be at the end of the month.

Imperor said:
Looking at the debut through the prism of the followup made me nitpick the things I'm not nuts about, the little bits of their sound on the debut and first EP that were cartoonishly exaggerated on Helplessness Blues. Mountains. Trees. Wanderin'. Apples and shit. We get it.

Cool, that's what I was asking. I don't think I've ever had an album be soured quite to that extent, but I became hyper-aware of some of The Killers' flaws when Sam's Town was released. All These Things That I've Done never quite recovered.

Helplessness Blues certainly did not hit me as strongly as did the debut. There was a certain vitality to the debut that is missing from Blues in places, I think.

Cool, that's what I was asking. I don't think I've ever had an album be soured quite to that extent, but I became hyper-aware of some of The Killers' flaws when Sam's Town was released. All These Things That I've Done never quite recovered.

That is the song that killed The Killers for me for a long time. Luckily, I remembered Mr Brightside and Human and a few others.

You could make a nice little EP out of all the Killers tunes I unashamedly love.

I haven't heard anything about it being released in theaters beyond the Toronto festival.

It's going to be on the BBC in a week or so - not sure if there will be a stream or somewhere to watch live for those of us outside of BBC-Land. Ditto the Showtime airing that will be at the end of the month.

Well damn. I don't get either of those that I know of. I can wait for the DVD.

cobl04 said:
Human is one of the worst songs I've ever heard. Fucking awful.

Oh, it's horrible. But there are a number of songs I really like on Day & Age...which is more or less par for the course at this stage, even with Brandon Flowers' solo album.

I like basically all of Hot Fuss though. They're just really good at channeling the 80s.

Well damn. I don't get either of those that I know of. I can wait for the DVD.

Just buy one of the fancy reissues of Achtung, and you'll get it.

By the way, Martha, do you like the "new" Black Lips as much as me? Definitely in my top 10 albums this year, so much fun.

The Slutwalks thread... not that I was posting in it but I was interested reading it... not sure why it had to be closed.

Seemed like they were all having a conversation in there. Not sure why a thread starter can request a thread closed because they don't like the way it's going.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom